Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Future

Votes: 5 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I don't know the answer to that but I'd assume no one was beating Taylor Swift that year. I will say that a surprisingly thing I heard was that when she beat Kendrick for AOTY it wasn't a rout. TPAB came relatively close to getting AOTY.

Was it close last year between Nas and Tyler for best rap album or were voters mostly satisfied with Nas getting his Grammy for KD1?

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
:manny:

The views mirror what my mom has said and what other older black people I know have said: it's a vulgar album with more dance and house vibes than r&b, and they don't get it. I like the album overall btw, I'm not shytting on it. I just get why a certain demographic of people don't like it.
So basically ppl who were old back and obviously old now don't understand it?? You know it's funny because I just have a feeling that even if Beyoncé did some easy listening balladering ass album it would still be a problem.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Was it close last year between Nas and Tyler for best rap album or were voters mostly satisfied with Nas getting his Grammy for KD1?

The way I usually get my vote info is based on whether it's a rout or close. So when Nas won, it was a clear cut rout - the other albums didn't come close. With Tyler v Nas it wasn't a rout, it was (relatively) close.

Going back to Beyonce right quick, a good way to think about the big awards is it basically boils down to coalition voting. If a good R&B album gets nominated for AOTY, the vast majority of R&B voters will vote for that album. From there it's just a question of what the other voters will do (who do the rock voters vote for, who do the pop voters vote for, etc). While both the Beyonce and Adele are not nominated in the R&B album categories from what I understand there are plenty of more traditionalist/conservative R&B voters who simply fukk with Adele more. Not just white R&B voters, I'm talking about black voters as well. Point being if Beyonce doesn't win enough of the voters who you'd expect to support an R&B artist's album for AOTY then she could be in trouble. Now to be fair the flip side of that argument is that there are plenty of pop voters who will support Beyonce over Adele, so maybe it evens out.

I still think the wildcard is ABBA. If you pull up a list of past AOTY winners you'll see quite a few legacy artists winning for their new album, whether the album was truly good or not. I don't expect ABBA to win obviously but it's worth keeping in mind.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The way I usually get my vote info is based on whether it's a rout or close. So when Nas won, it was a clear cut rout - the other albums didn't come close. With Tyler v Nas it wasn't a rout, it was (relatively) close.

Going back to Beyonce right quick, a good way to think about the big awards is it basically boils down to coalition voting. If a good R&B album gets nominated for AOTY, the vast majority of R&B voters will vote for that album. From there it's just a question of what the other voters will do (who do the rock voters vote for, who do the pop voters vote for, etc). While both the Beyonce and Adele are not nominated in the R&B album categories from what I understand there are plenty of more traditionalist/conservative R&B voters who simply fukk with Adele more. Not just white R&B voters, I'm talking about black voters as well. Point being if Beyonce doesn't win enough of the voters who you'd expect to support an R&B artist's album for AOTY then she could be in trouble. Now to be fair the flip side of that argument is that there are plenty of pop voters who will support Beyonce over Adele, so maybe it evens out.

I still think the wildcard is ABBA. If you pull up a list of past AOTY winners you'll see quite a few legacy artists winning for their new album, whether the album was truly good or not. I don't expect ABBA to win obviously but it's worth keeping in mind.

You’re absolutely right. I’ve noticed those trends too just from doing this thread every year.

It just boggles my mind that R&B voters wouldn’t throw their weight behind Beyonce but again I do see the more conservative aspect of being turned off by the cursing and overtly sexual vibes of the album (for those 45+) but i’d think those types would simply vote for Mary J Blige’s Good Morning Gorgeous before they threw their lot in with Adele….

Its not like Mary didn’t get a chunk of support her damn self landing so many nominations and multiple in the general field.

I also wonder if Kendrick being nominated a 4th straight time might take some votes from the rap category away from Beyonce who might have otherwise voted for her due to the Jay-Z connection (He wrote on several songs on the album)

But how “strong” Kendrick is would rely on how much you feel he got snubbed by a white woman and an appropriating Hawaiian midget. I think both the narrative and overall sentiment is this is Beyonce’s year.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps

I see...I appreciate your insight on this. There is this coalition of people who want Beyoncé to go back to more traditional R&B(Like Dangerously In Love) but idk. I don't think she stays a part of the conversation overall catering to that base. Her diehard fans are very diverse with a more eclectic palate than just that so she caters to her fans first and foremost. Oh well

I listened to that ABBA album just see what the fuss was about and it was okay. It didn't move me and I'm not against pop/adult contemporary music, I actually like a good amount of that, but it really isn't anything special.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
What if Future wins??? To me it's only really btwn Kendrick and Pusha for best rap album but Future is the dark horse for me. I wouldn't mind any of these three winning, tbh(and I don't like Future at all).

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don't know the answer to that but I'd assume no one was beating Taylor Swift that year. I will say that a surprisingly thing I heard was that when she beat Kendrick for AOTY it wasn't a rout. TPAB came relatively close to getting AOTY.

That makes a lot of sense. Kendrick had the most nominations that year if I'm not mistaken, and he had far and away the best performance of the night. 1989 was also a smash album and made Taylor a bigger star just like 25 did to Adele, but I'm guessing Taylor had enough older, conservative voters pulling for her to put her over the edge.

I have some more questions. I like your words, so I want you to keep saying them:

1. In 2012, why wasn't Kanye nominated for Album of the Year? He said it was because he released MBDTF and Watch the Throne in the same year so it cancelled each other out, but wouldn't Watch the Throne get the nomination since it was more recent? That has to be one of the biggest snubs I've ever seen the Grammys make.

2. Why didn't A Tribe Called Quest get any nominations in 2018?

3. Had the Grammys not been petty and gave The Weeknd his nominations in 2021, would he have given Taylor enough competition for Album of the Year?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
What if Future wins??? To me it's only really btwn Kendrick and Pusha for best rap album but Future is the dark horse for me. I wouldn't mind any of these three winning, tbh(and I don't like Future at all).

He won’t win Best Rap Album. I GUARANTEE it.

For all their unpredictability, the Grammies are SUPER cliche when it comes to the Rap categories. They LOVE rewarding repeat winners and Future has never been a Grammy favorite, amassing only one win out of 2 previous nominations; and that win was as a guest on a KENDRICK song (King’s Dead).

Also 9/10 if a project is nominated for AOTY then the artist usually wins in their corresponding genre category. In Rap this year only Kendrick is nominated for AOTY so he’s winning Rap Album.

Kendrick is sweeping the rap categories, Future’s only fighting chance is in the Best Melodic Rap Performance category for Wait For You, and even then he’s not the favorite.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
He won’t win Best Rap Album. I GUARANTEE it.

For all their unpredictability, the Grammies are SUPER cliche when it comes to the Rap categories. They LOVE rewarding repeat winners and Future has never been a Grammy favorite, amassing only one win out of 2 previous nominations; and that win was as a guest on a KENDRICK song (King’s Dead).

Also 9/10 if a project is nominated for AOTY then the artist usually wins in their corresponding genre category. In Rap this year only Kendrick is nominated for AOTY so he’s winning Rap Album.

Kendrick is sweeping the rap categories, Future’s only fighting chance is in the Best Melodic Rap Performance category for Wait For You, and even then he’s not the favorite.
It's a shame. You would think the rap categories being voted on by Hip Hop folks in the industry would be more eclectic in their choices.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It's a shame. You would think the rap categories being voted on by Hip Hop folks in the industry would be more eclectic in their choices.

They NEVER have been

Even when Nas FINALLY won in 2021 it was because he was the highest selling artist in the category. Rap grammys ALWAYS go to the highest selling artist in the category or white boys. Its why Macklemore robbed Kendrick in 2014. Its why Eminem has a million Grammys, even for his most trash albums and songs. Sales are why Drake robbed Nas in 2013 and why Cardi B robbed Pusha T in 2019.