The OFFICIAL 2023 College Football RANDOM THOUGHTS Thread

PREDICT the NATIONAL CHAMPION

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Yeah we scheduled Ohio St the last two years, but we're ducking big bad Michigan St. :skip:

I guess we're afraid to play Purdue too. :mjlol:
They year central Florida went undefeated, they canceled a game v Georgia Tech.

They lucky they ain't catch that fade!

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl

'Best decision': Moten details joining Gators, UF safety competition​

Following three seasons at Michigan, Moten is now preparing to potentially play a large role at Florida in 2023.​

'Best decision': Moten details joining Gators, UF safety competition​

Following three seasons at Michigan, Moten is now preparing to potentially play a large role at Florida in 2023.​

Graham Hall GRAHAM HALL4 hrs37

In the four months since fourth-year safety R.J. Moten opted to transfer from Michigan to Florida, many have inquired as to why the Delran, New Jersey, native opted to leave a 13-win program, one with an established head coach and the ability to contend for a championship once again in 2023, for a program in the early stages of a rebuild, where the path to the top has arguably never been more difficult as a result of the parity within the Southeastern Conference.

"I've got that question a lot," Moten admits, "but at the end of the day, it was the best decision for me, my future and my family's future."

Yet it wasn't one Moten, whose father, Ron, played at Florida in the mid-1980s, took lightly, evidenced by the fact he waited until the conclusion of spring camp in late April to announce his intention to continue his playing career outside of Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Top-ranked 2025 CB Na'eem Offord talks recent visits to Ohio State, Georgia and Miami

"It was a tough decision. It was hard," Moten, speaking to the media Thursday for the first time since his arrival in Gainesville, said. "I kind of waited until the last minute to do it, but I think that it was the best decision for me and my family.”

Now, as the Gators approach the midpoint of fall camp practices, and with the team's first scrimmage set for early Thursday afternoon, Moten is in the midst of finding out firsthand if his decision to transfer to UF was a wise one for his playing career. The 6-foot, 219-pound Moten is currently battling with Kamari Wilson for the team's starting safety role opposite Miguel Mitchell, multiple sources have indicated to Swamp247, and his experience may ultimately give Moten the edge over his underclassmen teammates in the safety room.

It would be conceivable – expected even – for Moten to profess he arrived in Gainesville intent on picking up where he left off in Michigan, serving as his team's starting safety after Moten appeared in all 14 games last season for the Wolverines, including 10 starts, though he's insistent that isn't the case as his first season within the SEC inches closer.

Amid a unit lacking valuable experience, Moten's cognizant of the fact the Gators will utilize a rotation at the position, and he should expect to help lead the way for the underclassmen in the room as they either get their feet wet or further acclimate to the collegiate level.

“Every day is just a competition. We all know the final goal and at the end of the day, the coaches have a say who is going to be on the field and who is not going to be on the field but I think recently, as I’ve noticed, we don’t even look at it like that," Moten said. "I’ll be on the field with Miguel, with Jordan (Castell), with Kamari, with Bryce (Thornton) at the same time, and we don’t even look at like that. We’re just all out there trying to make each other better.”

Unlike the start to Moten's collegiate career, there's an urgency for the freshmen to see the field early and often for the Gators, due to the team's depth situation at the position coupled with the coaching staff's philosophy of prioritizing on-field development at ideal junctures for the program's inexperienced players. When Moten arrived with the Wolverines, the program's depth at the safety spot wasn't in a precarious spot, and he wasn't required to play a not-so-insignificant role as a result. It led to Moten seeing the field in just one game as a freshman, and it didn't come on the defensive end.

In his collegiate debut, Moten appeared only on special teams for the Wolverines in the team's conference battle with Wisconsin, and that was it for Moten's freshmen contributions.

He would spend the rest of his inaugural season preparing to play a larger role the following year – a yearning which did come to fruition in 2021 when Moten appeared in all 14 games, including five starts, as a redshirt freshman for the Wolverines during his sophomore season.

It set him up for double-digit starts during his third year of collegiate action, making Moten easily the most experienced safety within the Florida program as it stands.

The value of his experience at Ann Arbor – for himself and for his newfound teammates at Florida – isn't lost on Moten.

"I got two rings and I've been in the playoffs. I was one play away from a national championship last year and I think, you know, just to being able to bring that experience and that knowledge on what it takes to get to that level because not everybody has been there," Moten said. "To be able to bring that to a team where that's the end goal, I think that will help out a lot.”

His value to the Gators, however, didn't lead Moten to instantly arrive at Florida prepared to lead. There was an acclimation process, including one that involved his father noting the improvements around the Florida facility in the 35-year span since Ron Moten last put on a helmet for the Gators and suited up at linebacker.

"He stayed in the stadium, Yon Hall, so when I showed him where I was living, he helped me move in, he was like, ‘whoa, this is like an actual apartment'," R.J. Moten recalled. "He was like 'yeah you all are living different now, and just enjoy it'.”

Soon, Moten was speaking up often within the safety room, looking to aid the unit's ongoing growth ahead of the 2023 season. It's a process which has continued into Moten's first fall camp with the Gators, one he's optimistic will be a beneficial one for all parties involved.

After all, Moten didn't join the program at Florida – where his father previously blossomed into a professional football player – intent on maximizing his opportunity in Gainesville. In the four months since he arrived at UF, he feels he's still getting started on doing just that, and he's optimistic the best is yet to come as Moten prepares for his regular-season debut Aug. 31 in Utah with his new program.

“The first couple of days I was like, a little shy, not saying too much, but they’ve accepted me and I’m happy about that," Moten said. "We joke all the time now in meetings, outside of practice and before walkthroughs as well, we get to joking around, but just to be able to have them accept me and open their arms, I still come to them for advice on plays and how they view things and how they see things.

"Everything is gelling well.”

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Yeah we were reportedly a distant third, but been some rumblings we got a fighting chance going into his announcement. Crossing my fingers

When does he announce?

I’d rather have him go to AU then Duke or KU. I saw he listed scUM too…can’t fathom why he’s want to hop in that dumpster fire, no guarantee Howard is even there at the end of this season.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
if ACC gets stanford and cal on the condition that notre dame fully joins the ACC, then we can see notre dame get destroyed by clemson in the ACC championship game instead of being a shoo-in for the 4th spot in playoffs every other year

ND would never agree to that, and they not bout to be the west coast arm of the acc

What are the best radio shows/podcasts for college football?
Our podcast (Loic Podcast) we from the coli

I listen to:
Split zone duo good gossip, inside info, and real analysis

the shutdown full cast lighter side of football mixed in with good history and inside info

Matt brown when he does one( for the real back ground and ins and out of cfb from ads to nil to d2/3, etc, this like why Ads do certain things, how the actual process of realignment happens, coaching contracts )

Cover 3 (good questions to either build off of, tweek, or straight up borrow)

I used to listen to Andy staples but he’s on3 and I’m not sure they have a podcast format
Ari does one for the athletic it’s aiiight but just ain’t the same chemistry, with not having Andy there, (imagine KC and Jo-jo splitting, and then them nikkas doing they thing with back up singers off the street)

I mostly listen to cbs sports cover 3 podcast

Also another one I check out is the Slander U podcast but that’s on a smaller scale and they mainly just talk shyt about every team lol

Some others I check out from time to time

Solid Verbal
Athlon Sports Cover 2 podcast

Cover 3 usually gives me some good questions to tweek or borrow for our podcast and add our perspective and we don’t have to be political

You don’t listen to the Loic podcast your fellow Black bredren from the coli :mjpls:
it depends on who you're rooting for, there might be a local one for your fanbase...

for overall coverage, mainstream media just does hot takes, planned debates, and wrong pre-season rankings just to go viral from the comment section by pissing off certain fanbases and appealing to certain fanbases because of TV-contract biases just to let them down and drive another narrative once the season unfolds, and never give lesser population fanbases like Tulane any coverage or feature mini-docs for beating USC in the sugar bowl after going 2-10 the previous season and losing to Oklahoma coached both by Lincoln Riley...

or there are those homer podcasts where nothing is wrong, there isn't yellow flags anywhere, and they brown nose their football program while dismissing their rivals giving you a false sense of hope every year...and 247 sports just spams the youtube's podcast game with industry plant announcers that aren't even from the area and pretend like they know the fanbase or recruiting base by saying obvious glossed over details for a painful amount of time but can't get into specifics about personal stories or know the local landmarks at all

i think these independent youtubers who aren't fed payola money from big media to force-feed you narratives are your best bet, but everything is biased, based on clickbait by playing with your emotions with yellow journalism in video format nowadays, and i really hate those youtubers who said they used to play but was injured or whatever and still pretend they can still be in the league somewhere and wedge themselves into the story or by comparing themselves in every other video with woulda coulda shoulda scenarios or tries extra hard to show that they are grateful

this guy's decent, there's a couple more similar to what he does being a casual fan but knowing specifics or gather enough research to know about it, but i forget some of the channels

this guy's on the come up and may make fire videos if he just focuses on football

and there's the nostalgia, stat heavy, obscure stuff like jon bois, and the remnants of sbnation, deadspin, and all that

random videos

Don’t listen to the black man’s podcast

Loic podcast :mjpls:

I do listen to a couple inside Michigan pods, but just so I’m aware of guys coming up, who’s signing admin stuff

I don’t listen to any from Oregon, i probably should though

Daps
Reppin
Chi
Yeah we scheduled Ohio St the last two years, but we're ducking big bad Michigan St. :skip:

Isnt MSU/ND series dead even since 2000?

Not suggesting ND is “afraid” but y’all seem much more interested in protecting your little boston college and navy “rivalries” over MSU & scUM….particularly scUM, which correct me if I’m wrong, is the only series you don’t have The all time lead on.

MSU vs ND goes back to the 1800s…

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
Chi

Should’ve been LSU playing SC…Remember K-State running through OU in the conference title?

Also remember OU THRASHING Texas A&M 77-0 that year too.

SC was can’t miss TV 04-06

Edit: I’m mashing up ‘03 & ‘04
…it should’ve been AUBURN not fukking OU choke-artist asses that get exposed every big bowl game.

This was before the media/espn became SEC obsessed, tho…nowadays even w/o the playoffs, there’s zero chance an undefeated sec gets fukked over like that.

Last edited:

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother

I listen to:

the shutdown full cast lighter side of football mixed in with good history and inside info

Matt brown when he does one( for the real back ground and ins and out of cfb from ads to nil to d2/3, etc, this like why Ads do certain things, how the actual process of realignment happens, coaching contracts )

I used to listen to Andy staples but he’s on3 and I’m not sure they have a podcast format
Ari does one for the athletic it’s aiiight but just ain’t the same chemistry, with not having Andy there, (imagine KC and Jo-jo splitting, and then them nikkas doing they thing with back up singers off the street)

Cover 3 usually gives me some good questions to tweek or borrow for our podcast and add our perspective and we don’t have to be political

you have an official thread on thecoli every time you drop an episode?

you should probably chop up the interesting parts of the podcast and put it up on youtube, or put the full thing with chapters on youtube and then linktree it with the other platforms where the pod is hosted

make discord so other people can call in live during the podcast for live fukkery would be cool, idk, or are you on a casual scripted format?

idk, i need my information in attentive sporadic sessions, would probably throw on a podcast if i need background noise when doing mundane cleaning or driving or something

3rd Koast Kang

Superstar
Daps
ND would never agree to that, and they not bout to be the west coast arm of the acc

I listen to:

You don’t listen to the Loic podcast your fellow Black bredren from the coli :mjpls:

Don’t listen to the black man’s podcast

Loic podcast :mjpls:

I do listen to a couple inside Michigan pods, but just so I’m aware of guys coming up, who’s signing admin stuff

I don’t listen to any from Oregon, i probably should though

Bout to fix that bro. I just subscribed :salute:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps

You bytches opting to play Tennessee State instead so sounds like it to me.

You smell that…?

Is that you @prime ?
Is that you @Ron Mexico ?
Is that you @K-Deini ?

:mjgrin:

Rigby.

The #1 Rated Mixtape of all Time
Daps
Reppin
JordanHareStadium
When does he announce?

I’d rather have him go to AU then Duke or KU. I saw he listed scUM too…can’t fathom why he’s want to hop in that dumpster fire, no guarantee Howard is even there at the end of this season.
Yeah no chance in hell he goes to Mich. I heard Saturday, during halftime of his under Armour game