• Poll closed .

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola

Utah ok st or natti
South Carolina
Doubt it, that’s would require Bama dropping a game and knocking off Florida and uga
so Ga Tech’s title is from the coaches poll?

Would’ve thought navy would’ve had a squad back in the leather helmet days.

The rest doesn’t surprise me at all

The majority of the new big 12 🤣🤣🤣
Hey techs still got one

Recruiting wise yes, on field product no

mozichrome

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i mean not having a 5 star rb havent hurt UGA

The last five-star running back we signed was Zamir White in 2018, yet Alabama is signing five-star running backs with ease, especially the UGA legacy (Justice Haynes). Why aren’t we having top running backs flock to “RBU?” What gives? — Reginald Clement

Because it’s not RBU anymore. You can’t have everything. For years, Georgia fans (and outsiders) begged Kirby Smart to open up the offense and be more pass-oriented. And he did, with great success, and guess what, Georgia hasn’t had a 1,000-yard rusher since 2019 and also hasn’t had a five-star tailback recruit since then.
Ah, but you say, Alabama opened up the offense too, and it’s still hoarding five-star running backs. This may get back to the point that has been made about receiver recruiting: Alabama tends to feature one running back and two receivers, which allows them to put up big numbers that are used in recruiting, while Georgia does the opposite: The last 1,000-yard rusher was D’Andre Swift in 2019. Last year, Kenny McIntosh combined for 1,333 yards rushing and receiving, the year before James Cook combined for 1,014. But those aren’t stats that get readily recited like 1,000-yard rusher or 1,000-yard receiver. Combined rushing and receiving yards leaders aren’t usually shown on ESPN graphics.
Georgia hasn’t abandoned the running game: It was still top 20 last year (19th) in rushing yards per game and fourth in yards per rush, the same rank it was in yards per pass attempt. It also hasn’t recruited badly at tailback since Todd Monken was hired: Branson Robinson was the nation’s fourth-ranked tailback in the 2022 class, Kendall Milton was the seventh-ranked tailback in the 2020 class.
But there have also been some misses: Haynes was mentioned. Donovan Edwards stayed home at Michigan in 2021, with Georgia the runner-up. Georgia actually did sign Zach Evans in 2020 but let him go after he was kicked off his high school team at the state championship game. That was a busy year: Georgia got Milton but missed on Marshawn Lloyd, who picked South Carolina and didn’t sign in-state tailbacks Jahmyr Gibbs (who went to Georgia Tech, transferred to Alabama and is headed to the NFL) or Tank Bigsby (Auburn). And in 2019, Georgia had John Emery, the top-ranked tailback, committed before he flipped to LSU.
After missing on Trey Sanders and some others, Georgia just signed McIntosh (15th-ranked tailback), and he turned out pretty good. Dell McGee deserves credit for that, as well as Daijun Edwards (21st-ranked tailback in the 2020 class) and potentially this year Roderick Robinson (14th-ranked tailback in the 2023 class.)
McGee is the same coach who signed White, Cook, Swift and Elijah Holyfield, so it’s not like he forgot how to recruit. I asked him in December whether it has been more of a challenge to recruit with Georgia’s offense passing more, and he essentially said yes but without complaining.
“We just believe that as long as the team is having success, the individual success may not be statistically what you want, but from a team goal standpoint, that’s what matters,” McGee said. “I think that occurs in the recruiting process as well, trying to get the right character guys that believe in the team rather than me first. And our guys have been very unselfish in that manner.”