The OFFICIAL 2023 College Football RANDOM THOUGHTS Thread

PREDICT the NATIONAL CHAMPION

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734

That Jimmys and Joes > X's and Os. Its just not true. Not at the same level of talent.

As in,

Do you think Michigan is significantly more talented than osu the past 2 years?
or that the gap between Georgia and Michigan last year was as big as the score says?
Or that Utah has better players as USC?
That TN was more talented than Alabama?
That TCU was more talented than michigan? lol

The talent gap between similar level programs is no where near as big or as important as the coaching gap. If you have inferior DCs, OCs, S&C and Head Coach, NO AMOUNT OF TALENT WILL MAKE UP FOR THAT. USC couldn't fukkin' tackle. Michigan was overconfident going into TCU and didn't prepare. osu has dirtbags but they are talented.

I'll take an elite HC/DC/OC/S&C over four 5 stars ANY day. And if i had twitter i'd @ josh pate about that because he might be the biggest "its all about recruiting" guy in CFB media

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
That's why I was telling Silk that Napier needs time.

He might not work out on the field, but he's doing a lot of good off it.

He deserves a shot to show what he could do with talent that he handpicked himself before judging whether or not he's a good coach.
Do you not remember Ron Zook? :dwillhuh:

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
Do you not remember Ron Zook? :dwillhuh:
Of course.

Napier COULD be another Zook.

Zook never had any HC experience before he replaced Spurrier. He also fought a frat boy apparently. But he recruited well enough that Urban was able to win the natty in his second season with the foundation left behind from Zook's recruiting.

Maybe that will be Napier's ceiling. But he did prove at a much lower level that he could build a historically bad program up into a serious annual conference contender and a top 25 team. Obviously doing it in the Sun Belt is way different than the SEC, and he has a lot to improve on and learn at this level if he is to make it. But he has shown some ability at a much lower level to have the competence to build a program (Zook didn't).

If he keeps recruiting well and the defensive staff fixes the defense, there should be an improvement on the field. If he doesn't improve on the field by 2024 (tough schedule, but improvement can be shown even if the W-L isn't at 10-12 wins), then I'll be calling for his head. Heck, if he regresses and only wins like 2-4 games this season I'll agree that he's trash and be ready to give him the :camby: .

He came into a program that was in total shambles and deserves a few years, barring an epic collapse of winning like 0-4 games.

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Of course.

Zook never had any HC experience before he replaced Spurrier. He also fought a frat boy apparently. But he recruited well enough that Urban was able to win the natty in his second season with the foundation left behind from Zook's recruiting.

Maybe that will be Napier's ceiling. But he did prove at a much lower level that he could build a historically bad program up into a serious annual conference contender and a top 25 team. Obviously doing it in the Sun Belt is way different than the SEC, and he has a lot to improve on and learn at this level if he is to make it. But he has shown some ability at a much lower level to have the competence to build a program (Zook didn't).

If he keeps recruiting well and the defensive staff fixes the defense, there should be an improvement on the field. If he doesn't improve on the field by 2024 (tough schedule, but improvement can be shown even if the W-L isn't at 10-12 wins), then I'll be calling for his head. Heck, if he regresses and only wins like 2-4 games this season I'll agree that he's trash and be ready to give him the :camby: .

He came into a program that was in total shambles and deserves a few years, barring an epic collapse of winning like 0-4 games.
Breh thats a blast from past, the frat boy incident was cuz of one of older dudes in my hood, had a documentary on him and all coming out of high school.. shyt was legendary back in that time just before social media and such.. :wow:

904Lurker

R.I.P Young Dolph
Daps
Reppin
Jacksonville,Fl
Breh thats a blast from past, the frat boy incident was cuz of one of older dudes in my hood, had a documentary on him and all coming out of high school.. shyt was legendary back in that time just before social media and such.. :wow:
Taurean Charles later transferred to my college and was terrorizing QBs :salute:

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
That Jimmys and Joes > X's and Os. Its just not true. Not at the same level of talent.

As in,

Do you think Michigan is significantly more talented than osu the past 2 years?
or that the gap between Georgia and Michigan last year was as big as the score says?
Or that Utah has better players as USC?
That TN was more talented than Alabama?
That TCU was more talented than michigan? lol

The talent gap between similar level programs is no where near as big or as important as the coaching gap. If you have inferior DCs, OCs, S&C and Head Coach, NO AMOUNT OF TALENT WILL MAKE UP FOR THAT. USC couldn't fukkin' tackle. Michigan was overconfident going into TCU and didn't prepare. osu has dirtbags but they are talented.

I'll take an elite HC/DC/OC/S&C over four 5 stars ANY day. And if i had twitter i'd @ josh pate about that because he might be the biggest "its all about recruiting" guy in CFB media

Your coaching is enhanced by Jimmy and Joes
Jeff B got the most out of his Purdue talent, if he got more they would be dangerous, les got a ton of talent and couldn’t get out of his own way, Jimbo is starting to get that stink

But when you get into that top 1% having the right 1-2 players can make a difference having a Carter or Dean is a huge difference, with that said osu with a difference in talent from uga was a field goal away from the nc thanks to mhjr

But you can see osu stop having them huge advantages of talent thus our gap has lessened
Of course.

A lot of folks aren’t honest the gut job nap had to do to Florida, maybe he’s in over his head, but it’s going to take time to find out if he can cut the mustard, unfortunately in CFB especially the Sec it’s win now, damn the process

skyrunner1

Superstar
Daps
Taurean Charles later transferred to my college and was terrorizing QBs :salute:
Legit one of the funniest people I ever met, grew up with him and his twin sister, just playing ball on the block.. Didnt realize it at the time because was a jit but when the documentary came out and touched on it, shyt legit had me like :ohhh: when they touched on him not having a dad and him acting out being a knucklehead. shyt was already normalized back then to even peep. Was also first introduction to big time college ball and recruiting, I remember when he pulled up with the Monte Carlo SS Dale Earnhardt edition on the block :gladbron:.. The frat boy incident, I think dude was the son of a top donor or some shyt and Taurean either threw him off a balcony or threw a keg off balcony at him or some wild shyt.. Dude was wild but talented..

His Documentary had soo much fukkery and quotables, "why the defense not working?!" while slapping players:mjlol:, "your momma in the stands man":russ:These players nowadays wouldnt last man, those were Legendary coaches too, Coach smith won multiple state titles (with the west and esp Central) and coaching in college now, Coach Ice (won multiple state at Booker T.).. If ya ever get a chance, watch the year of the bull..

old as blurry upload

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Ohio State tight end Zak Herbstreit has been hospitalized, a school spokesperson confirmed Tuesday.

Herbstreit is in stable condition at the university’s Wexner Medical Center and being monitored and evaluated, the spokesperson added. The cause of his hospitalization was not provided.

A walk-on who joined the program in 2021, he is the son of former Buckeyes quarterback and longtime ESPN analyst Kirk Herbstreit.
Didn't know Herbie had a son at OSU.

I have no jokes, I hope he's okay :hubie:

Drake's Tan

All Star
Daps
A lot of folks aren’t honest the gut job nap had to do to Florida, maybe he’s in over his head, but it’s going to take time to find out if he can cut the mustard, unfortunately in CFB especially the Sec it’s win now, damn the process
Facts.

Though to be fair, it seems many UF fans online are being patient (I don't look on Twitter, and the morons on 247 are mostly trolls). There are a few people who are tripping out, but there always are in every fan base.

His first season was not great overall, but showed some bright spots in wins against Utah, A &M, and South Carolina.

Now that he's cleaned house, stabilized the roster a little bit, and is getting his type of players in there, it's time to start holding him to higher standards within reason.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Your coaching is enhanced by Jimmy and Joes
Jeff B got the most out of his Purdue talent, if he got more they would be dangerous, les got a ton of talent and couldn’t get out of his own way, Jimbo is starting to get that stink

But when you get into that top 1% having the right 1-2 players can make a difference having a Carter or Dean is a huge difference, with that said osu with a difference in talent from uga was a field goal away from the nc thanks to mhjr

But you can see osu stop having them huge advantages of talent thus our gap has lessened
I just disagree because I think when you get into that top 1%, preparation, s&c, and strategy going into the game is more important. Outside of 09-13 almost every Michigan game I've ever seen them lose was because they didn't properly prepare, weren't disciplined or conditioned enough, or didn't adjust. That's all coaching. The top 1% coaching differences are more pronounced to me.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
I just disagree because I think when you get into that top 1%, preparation, s&c, and strategy going into the game is more important. Outside of 09-13 almost every Michigan game I've ever seen them lose was because they didn't properly prepare, weren't disciplined or conditioned enough, or didn't adjust. That's all coaching. The top 1% coaching differences are more pronounced to me.

Having a bosa or chase is a huge difference

Having jobo and hutch were huge because it gives you an advantage you can tinker with your defense and get exotic, knowing qbs have 2-3 secs 80% of the time is a game changer

Having a lock down corner in ward and lattimore was a game changer especially when you got a rusher to that can speed up the qbs clock

Urban was a great coach, but having Percy, ranie (however you spell it) and Tebow really enhanced his offense

Nick, Kirby, urban, Brian Kelly, Jim, dabo (his coordinators but he knew where his bread was buttered) these are all great coaches, but when you give them a one of one player(s) they get even better, having a really intelligent MLB who runs a 4.3 that can take on and shed a pulling guard and cover a wr, opens up so many possibilities in his defensive play calling and schemes because he can move that guy around, when Brent had them 4 studs on the DL he was able to come up with all these schemes on the back end because he knew qbs had limited time to figure out the coverage and find the hole. When urban had Percy, he came up with a 100 different was to get him the ball, from out the backfield, to shifting him in different wr spots, reverses, sweeps etc thus my original point the Jimmy and Joes enhance your X’s and O’s

Yes in our case getting rid of Don helped, but that was so we could step up to another level, and better unlock our talent, but for all intents and purposes, he had us top 10 in defense until it was time to play a way better team, yes that’s a coaching thing, and that’s the only situation that comes close to your notion but to me, it’s a different example jim had to let go of some things so he didn’t become Jimbo and les, now that we have better lines and backs his pin and pull scheme, his zone scheme they all flow and he can build off them, you remember those days it seemed like he was throwing a steel chair against the wall, for our run game

Last edited: