The OFFICIAL 2016 College football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I don't disagree with your arguments, I'm just saying that you'd have to rip apart the existing conferences to make it fair at all. Which will never happen because football isn't the only sport in consideration when it comes to conference affiliation.

You can't compare any sport to college football. There are 119 teams. They all can't play each other. And you can't play the sport in back to back days so a big tourney like in NCAAB is impossible.

And I'm not saying CFB would lose money. I'm saying the atmosphere would suck because half of the fans wouldn't have a dog in the fight. It'd be more like an NFL game where people just came because it's a cool experience.

No fanbase has ~50,000 people who can afford to go to Miami on Dec. 31, Phoenix on Jan. 6, and then L.A. on Jan. 13, much less get the time off to do it.
:camby:

If you want to go with the superconference concept, it needs to be 4 conferences. And again, you'd have to rip apart existing rivalries and existing conferences. Good luck with that.
All of the 6 schools in the top of the rankings have NATIONAL fanbases enough to fill up half a stadium for those games. Most WOULDNT go to each game but if say michigan was in this bracket I would go to any of the games west of vegas, or in Atlanta. And i'm doing okay but i by no means have "donor money".

You wouldnt really have to rip apart the conferences, i'll do it myself this afternoon.

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
All of the 6 schools in the top of the rankings have NATIONAL fanbases enough to fill up half a stadium for those games. Most WOULDNT go to each game but if say michigan was in this bracket I would go to any of the games west of vegas, or in Atlanta. And i'm doing okay but i by no means have "donor money".

You wouldnt really have to rip apart the conferences, i'll do it myself this afternoon.

Theoretically everything you're saying makes sense. I get what you're saying man. :whoa:

I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense logistically. It would be ripping up the fabric of cfb and would leave a lot of people unhappy. If we got yanked from the SEC only to be thrown into a mish mash of teams from the ACC, I'd be furious. If all the Texas and midwest teams got lumped together and their white asses only had to beat Nebraska every year while we had to beat Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Georgia, etc. just to get a shot at the playoff is just simply not fair. :scusthov:

There's a reason we do a plus one system. We have to do this beauty pageant shyt because so few of these teams can actually play against each other. We also want to keep the rivalries that make cfb better than any other sport. Ripping apart the fabric of cfb just to find some mythical "true champion" is not worth it. :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Theoretically everything you're saying makes sense. I get what you're saying man. :whoa:

I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense logistically. It would be ripping up the fabric of cfb and would leave a lot of people unhappy. If we got yanked from the SEC only to be thrown into a mish mash of teams from the ACC, I'd be furious. If all the Texas and midwest teams got lumped together and their white asses only had to beat Nebraska every year while we had to beat Alabama, Florida State, Florida, Georgia, etc. just to get a shot at the playoff is just simply not fair. :scusthov:

There's a reason we do a plus one system. We have to do this beauty pageant shyt because so few of these teams can actually play against each other. We also want to keep the rivalries that make cfb better than any other sport. Ripping apart the fabric of cfb just to find some mythical "true champion" is not worth it. :yeshrug:
It is absolutely worth it, considering every college football champion to date has BEEN mythical

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
:patrice: I can see pre BCS, BCS, and the year TCU was left out but

How was the last one mythical?
Because Stanford possibly could have been better than Alabama. Probably not, but in a larger playoff system they might have been able to win it all if they got hot.

But they played zero teams that played Bama so you can't even use the transitive property when comparing them. There's 116 teams and the majority of them don't play each other. It's a beauty pageant to get into the playoff.

I get what @Ed MOTHERfukkING G is trying to do. He's trying to get the beauty pageant part out. But I don't see a way to make the conferences balanced enough for that to be fair. I don't think you'd actually get the best 8 teams in America in the playoff year in and year out.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
Because Stanford possibly could have been better than Alabama. Probably not, but in a larger playoff system they might have been able to win it all if they got hot.

But they played zero teams that played Bama so you can't even use the transitive property when comparing them. There's 116 teams and the majority of them don't play each other. It's a beauty pageant to get into the playoff.

I get what @Ed MOTHERfukkING G is trying to do. He's trying to get the beauty pageant part out. But I don't see a way to make the conferences balanced enough for that to be fair. I don't think you'd actually get the best 8 teams in America in the playoff year in and year out.
They lost twice, fukk em.

We've seen teams get hot in the NFL, CBB, and the NBA at the end and miss the playoffs. Thats on them.

Francium

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
@Billy Hoyle @Ed MOTHERfukkING G @Silkk

A 6-seed playoff makes the most sense to me. :manny:

The top 2 seeds get a bye. Seeds 3 & 4 hosts the first round at their home stadium against 5 & 6 the week after the conf championship games. Both teams are awarded $1 million for the 1st round games and most stadiums should be near full (not many fans will be on winter vacation just yet and exams will be the week after). Also stadiums aren't in much use in the beginning to mid December. The losers of each game will be picked up by the NYear bowls, accordingly.

This gives the each Power 5 champion a virtual spot and a group of 5 team a spot (if they finish top 6).

This is how it would look with the current rankings:

Dec 10th
#3 Michigan v #6 Ohio State - Michigan Stadium

#4 Texas A&M v #5 Washington - Kyle Field

Dec 31st
Fiesta Bowl
#2 Clemson V Texas A&M/Washington

Peach Bowl
#1 Alabama v Ohio State/Michigan

Jan 9
Championship

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
Pull together your hypothetical superconferences and then I'll tell you exactly what people within those conferences would be saying about the fukkery that would ensue.

Midwest Conference:
  1. Cincinatti
  2. Indiana
  3. Michigan
  4. Michigan jr
  5. Columbus reform school
  6. Illinois
  7. Iowa
  8. Minnesota
  9. Nebraska
  10. Northwestern
  11. Notre Dame
  12. Purdue
  13. Wisconsin
  14. Iowa state
  15. Kansas
  16. Kansas St
  17. Oklahoma
  18. Ok st
  19. Missouri
  20. A directional michigan school or ohio school, really theyre equal
Eastern Conference
  1. BC
  2. Penn State
  3. Rutgers
  4. Maryland
  5. Uconn
  6. UNC
  7. NC ST
  8. Navy
  9. Syracuse
  10. Wake forest
  11. Pitt
  12. Navy
  13. Duke
  14. Virginia
  15. Virginia Tech
  16. West Virginia
  17. Marshall
  18. Clemson
  19. FSU
  20. South Carolina
Southern Conference
  1. Kentucky
  2. Houston
  3. Memphis
  4. Georgia tech
  5. Miami
  6. Baylor
  7. Texas
  8. TCU
  9. Florida
  10. Georgia
  11. Kentucky
  12. Tennessee
  13. Vanderbilt (TN)
  14. Alabama
  15. Arkansas
  16. Auburn (AL)
  17. Louisiana St.
  18. Mississippi
  19. Mississippi St.
  20. Texas A&M
Western Conference
  1. Air Force
  2. Boise St
  3. Fresno St
  4. Hawaii
  5. Nevada
  6. UNLV
  7. SDSU
  8. San Jose st
  9. California
  10. Oregon
  11. Oregon St.
  12. Stanford (CA)
  13. Washington
  14. Washington St.
  15. Arizona
  16. Arizona St.
  17. Colorado
  18. Southern California
  19. UCLA
  20. Utah

The bushes, unless you want to make 4 more small conferences....they can go to FCS...theyre never gonna compete anyway

UCF - X
USF - X
SMU - X
Akron - X
Kent State - X
Ohio - X
Colorado St - X
New Mexico - X
Wyoming - X
Utah st - X
East Carolina (NC) - X
Temple - X
Tulane - X
Tulsa - X
Florida Atlantic - X
Florida International - X
Middle Tennessee St. - X
North Carolina-Charlotte - X
Old Dominion (VA) - X
Western Kentucky - X
Louisiana Tech - X
North Texas - X
Rice (TX) - X
Southern Mississippi - X
Texas-El Paso - X
Texas-San Antonio - X
Central Michigan - X
Western Michigan - X
Eastern michigan - X
Miami - X
Arkansas St. - X
Georgia Southern - X
Georgia St. - X
Idaho - X
Louisiana-Lafayette - X
Louisiana-Monroe - X
New Mexico St. - X
South Alabama -X
Texas St. - X
Troy (AL) - X

Twenty team conferences, ten team divisions, So, every team faces their 9 opponents in division, 2 opponents in the other division, and 1 out of conference. That should fix any cross division, OOC rivalry breakups.

The conference championship games are held on New years day, round of 4 after that, title game after that.

EVERYTHING is decided on the field with the exception of the seeding, which keeps the poll system SOMEWHAT relevant...