The OFFICIAL 2016 College football RANDOM THOUGHTS thread

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
Let's just all pray Auburn loses soon or these termites will eat away at this thread till there is nothing left.
bamLy7j.png

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
fukk that. The best part of college football is the importance of each regular season game.

I could see doing 6 teams, but that's the absolute max.
Wait so making the playoffs a conference championship tourney makes the regular season LESS important? Quite the opposite; there are MORE teams that can still win the respective conferences, thus, making EVERY game important...michigan and ohio state for example would have effectively 5 elimination games IN A ROW (vs each other, conference title, round of 8, round of 4, title game) and they wouldnt be in that position unless they did well before that

It makes the regular season more PURE, not dilluted.

Id rather eliminate a conference all together, and make 4, 18 team conferences with 9 teams in a division

Hell you give me enough time i'll map it out myself

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
Wait so making the playoffs a conference championship tourney makes the regular season LESS important? Quite the opposite; there are MORE teams that can still win the respective conferences, thus, making EVERY game important...michigan and ohio state for example would have effectively 5 elimination games IN A ROW (vs each other, conference title, round of 8, round of 4, title game) and they wouldnt be in that position unless they did well before that

It makes the regular season more PURE, not dilluted.

Id rather eliminate a conference all together, and make 4, 18 team conferences with 9 teams in a division

Hell you give me enough time i'll map it out myself
I could live with it, I just think you'd have to separate the conferences to make it fair at all. Which means you'd have to break up a ton of existing rivalries since it would have to be less about geographical location in order to be balanced. There's no way you can tell me that the champion of the Big 12 is necessarily better than the 3rd best team in the Big 10 year to year, yet that team would make the playoff.

Not to mention that no one could afford to go to all those playoff games. Maybe you could make the first round at home, but that's still expensive as hell right after the conference championship game and in the middle of Christmas.

The championship game would turn into the super bowl where no one is actually a fan of the teams that are playing. Just a bunch of corporate tickets.

Plus one is the best system by far.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
I could live with it, I just think you'd have to separate the conferences to make it fair at all. Which means you'd have to break up a ton of existing rivalries and away games would be difficult as hell to travel to since it would have to be less about geographical location in order to be balanced. There's no way you can tell me that the champion of the Big 12 is necessarily better than the 3rd best team in the Big 10 year to year, yet that team would make the playoff.

Not to mention that no one could afford to go to all those playoff games. Maybe you could make the first round at home, but that's still expensive as hell right after the championship game and in the middle of Christmas.

The championship game would turn into the super bowl where no one is actually a fan of the teams that are playing. Just a bunch of corporate tickets.

Plus one is the best system by far.
The champion of the big 12 would be the 8 seed and face alabama. Thats how seeding in all sports works and always has...and the champion of the big 12 deserves to get in over the 3rd best big ten team because they won their division...if wisconsin is really better than oklahoma in this theoretical argument, then they should've won their conference....

The 9th best nba western conference team might be better than the 8th best eastern conference team but :manny: win and your in...LITERALLY in this case.

I actually think that the restructuring would RESTORE some rivalries and solidify others like if clemson and south carolina were in the same conference.

This "afford to go" argument is nonsense considering there is more money in college football than any sport really, and a lack of money doesnt stop these INSOLVENT bowl games from being established. These games are gonna sell out...its a hollow argument. As is the superbowl comparison...oh no we are the most successfull game in sports...how tragic?

Plus one is a band-aid that ignores that NCAA football IS THE ONLY sport where you dont play your way into a championship...even in basketball conference tourney champs get an auto-bid

Billy Hoyle

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
The champion of the big 12 would be the 8 seed and face alabama. Thats how seeding in all sports works and always has...and the champion of the big 12 deserves to get in over the 3rd best big ten team because they won their division...if wisconsin is really better than oklahoma in this theoretical argument, then they should've won their conference....

The 9th best nba western conference team might be better than the 8th best eastern conference team but :manny: win and your in...LITERALLY in this case.

I actually think that the restructuring would RESTORE some rivalries and solidify others like if clemson and south carolina were in the same conference.

This "afford to go" argument is nonsense considering there is more money in college football than any sport really, and a lack of money doesnt stop these INSOLVENT bowl games from being established. These games are gonna sell out...its a hollow argument. As is the superbowl comparison...oh no we are the most successfull game in sports...how tragic?

Plus one is a band-aid that ignores that NCAA football IS THE ONLY sport where you dont play your way into a championship...even in basketball conference tourney champs get an auto-bid
I don't disagree with your arguments, I'm just saying that you'd have to rip apart the existing conferences to make it fair at all. Which will never happen because football isn't the only sport in consideration when it comes to conference affiliation.

You can't compare any sport to college football. There are 119 teams. They all can't play each other. And you can't play the sport in back to back days so a big tourney like in NCAAB is impossible.

And I'm not saying CFB would lose money. I'm saying the atmosphere would suck because half of the fans wouldn't have a dog in the fight. It'd be more like an NFL game where people just came because it's a cool experience.

No fanbase has ~50,000 people who can afford to go to Miami on Dec. 31, Phoenix on Jan. 6, and then L.A. on Jan. 13, much less get the time off to do it.
:camby:

If you want to go with the superconference concept, it needs to be 4 conferences. And again, you'd have to rip apart existing rivalries and existing conferences. Good luck with that.

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
B1G bout to start playing Friday games next year

JIM DELANY: BIG TEN TO PLAY FRIDAY NIGHT GAMES IN 2017 AND BEYOND
D.J. Byrnes on November 2, 2016 at 2:16p@marion_ohio
76151_h.jpg,qitok=cofJN47C.pagespeed.ce.TEku3fknVB.jpg

Email this ArticleShare on RedditShare on TwitterShare on Facebook
Big Ten fans may want to keep their fall Friday nights as well as their fall Saturdays open in 2017 and beyond.

Jim Delany announced Wednesday afternoon, via Teddy Greenstein of The Chicago Tribune, the Big Ten will play on Friday nights in 2017 and beyond.

The selected games could be announced as early as late Wednesday afternoon. There is a caveat to the selection, though. Delany said the league is "reluctant" to ask schools with "giant seating capacities" to host Friday night games.

This would seemingly rule out Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, etc.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told Tim May of The Columbus Dispatch the Buckeyes won't hold a Friday night game in 2017. However, the Horseshoe will host a Friday night tilt once every three years.

“All things considered,” Delany told The Tribune, “we thought it was worthwhile to dip our toe in the water.”