The Official 2013 Oakland Raiders Season Thread

Hater

R.I.P
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
The Arizona Cardinals currently have the seventh pick in the NFL Draft. The Oakland Raiders have the third pick in the draft. Like the Cardinals, Oakland is a mess and needs a a lot of things to improve their team. The Cardinals do, but also have some specific needs they could fill, namely quarterback.

With the Raiders having a ton of needs, they may be amenable to trading down, while the Cardinals, should they target a player they believe will not be available at number seven, could look to move up.

SB Nation's Raider blog, Silver and Black Pride, proposes a draft day trade that perhaps could land Arizona a franchise QB.

This moves us to the Cardinals at the seventh overall pick. They too have a major need for a rush linebacker. Any of Jarvis Jones, Bjorn Werner, or Barkavius Mingo would be nice. They may even have interest in Geno Smith. But even so, there is a very good chance all of them could be gone by the time the Cardinals pick at seven. And if they have their heart set on one in particular, the Raiders would be their best chance to get their guy.

To move up to the third overall spot from the seventh spot, the Cardinals would have to send their round two pick (38) as well as their round four pick (100) to make the first round pick swap.

The thought of perhaps Geno Smith is intriguing. He probably would not make it to number seven, but if you could nab him at three, would you? Sure, it would cost a couple of later picks, but it could fix the team's QB position.

At the same time, the Cardinals do need more talent overall on the roster, so trading away multiple picks just doesn't seem like a wise thing.

NFL mock draft 2013: The Raiders propose a trade with Cardinals for No. 3 pick - Revenge of the Birds

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
ESPN's Bill Williamson classifies Raiders NT Tommy Kelly as a "top candidate" to be released. Kelly has two years left on his monster seven-year, $50.125 million deal, but his cap number for 2013 is reportedly over $11 million. He's started all 16 games over each of the last five seasons, but Kelly recorded just one sack in 2012 after notching 14.5 in the previous two seasons. The Raiders defensive line should see an extreme makeover with Richard Seymour and Desmond Bryant also set for free agency.
:whew: Thank you, I was getting sick and tired of this Suge Knight look-a-like fukking up our defense with his stupid ass penalties.

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Jason La Canfora of CBS sports wrote an article in which he lists Carson Palmer as one of the bigger names in the league that is likely to get cut this off season. Specifically, La Canfora reports that sources have indicated that there is no way Oakland will allow Palmer to play for them next season at his current price, which is right around $13 million. As a result, the Raiders are expected to ask Palmer to take a pay cut, or else be cut.
This is even more intriguing considering it comes relatively soon after the Raiders brass noted that back up Terrelle Pryor would have an opportunity to compete for the starting QB position in 2013. Pryor was finally given an opportunity to start in the final game of the 2012 season and he opened a lot of eyes to his potential to play QB in the NFL.
Now that the Raiders know they have an option at quarterback, it is much easier to apply pressure to Palmer in order to get him to take a pay cut. The real question is, will the Raiders actually go through with cutting Palmer if he insists on the $13 million or something close to it.
:jawalrus: :blessed: Thank you Based McKenzie! :smugbiden:

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
palmer probably takes the paycut, i dont see much interest in a wiffle arm int qb

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The Raiders came into this off-season with a few contracts that needed addressing. Contract numbers for the 2013 season had them sitting at $9 million over the salary cap. Then one more piece of information was revealed on Wednesday that many had forgotten about - the 2012 unused salary cap carry-over money.

As part of the new CBA, teams are allowed to carry over any unused salary cap money from previous seasons. Believe it or not, after all the salary slashing the Raiders did last season, they ended up $4.5 million under the 2012 salary cap.

That unused cap money can be added onto the 2013 salary cap figure should the Raiders so choose to do so. If they do, their cap ceiling raises to $125.6 million.

The top ten salary cap hits for the Raiders reach $104, 877,104 according to numbers acquired by CSN Bay Area. The remaining current player salaries add up to a total of $25,009,500. After that there is $2,326,000 in dead money. For a total against the cap of $132,212,600. That puts the Raiders at just $6,612,500 over the salary cap.

That alone is not a bad place to be with regard to the salary cap. And that's before Richard Seymour's $19 million cap hit is off the books as well as several of the expected cuts are made.

In the end, the Raiders should be in very good position to be players in free agency.
:obama: Not bad McKenzie, really nice job he has done so far, let's see how he does in the draft and in FA.

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Report: Raiders void Richard Seymour contract but pay heavy price
Friday was the day of reckoning for the Raiders with regard to Richard Seymour's contract. Either they void his contract or pay him $19.133 million next season. That wasn't going to happen and so the voiding of his contract was to be expected.

Seymour's contract stated that if he didn't play a certain number of downs last season, the Raiders would have the option of voiding his contract. He was injured for the final eight games of last season and therefore did not meet those requirements.

A player on the other side of 33 with bad knees is not ideal for this rebuilding team. And with paying that player over $19 million in a season is definitely not ideal. It is the ultimate in "out of whack" contracts.

The Raiders have would not give any official word on whether Seymour's contract had voided as they do not comment on contracts. And with the deadline being Friday, if they made the transaction after the NFL offices had closed, it will not be made official by the league until Monday.

In cases of a contract automatically voiding itself, as happened with Nnamdi Asomugha two seasons ago, the Raiders would be free and clear. But since this was a team option, the details of the contract leave behind a large amount of dead money -- $13.714 million to be exact.

Saddling over $13 million against the cap for any player is a lot. For instance, there are reports out there that the Raiders will force Carson Palmer to take a pay cut from his current $13 million salary and he's the team's starting quarterback. This also means Seymour, even not on the team, is the biggest cap hit they will have. That's a bitter pill.

The good news with the contract void is the Raiders will save $5.419 million off the cap this coming season which brings them to just about $800k over the cap as it currently stands.

There will be more cuts made. The three most likely cap casualties will be Tommy Kelly, Rolando McClain, and Darrius Heyward-Bey. If all three are cut, it would be an additional savings of $17.255 million
:yeshrug: I just wanted him gone, now lets just clean house and get rid of Kelly and McClain too, than we can finally start over on defense completely. I have high hopes for Lamar Houston, he had a really good season, so hopefully he can be a building block for our defense in the future.

Supreme

King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC
Report: Raiders void Richard Seymour contract but pay heavy price

:yeshrug: I just wanted him gone, now lets just clean house and get rid of Kelly and McClain too, than we can finally start over on defense completely. I have high hopes for Lamar Houston, he had a really good season, so hopefully he can be a building block for our defense in the future.

Hope so too.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
Taiwan Jones expected to move to CB

Late last season, Oakland running back Taiwan Jones told reporters that he’d consider moving to cornerback to enhance his NFL career.

Now, with some time to think about it, the Raiders’ top decision-maker agrees with him.

“I’m pushing for cornerback,” Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie said Friday from the NFL combine. “I think it fits his skill set. I think we’re going to see how he does there.”

McKenzie acknowledged it will not be easy for Jones to make a position switch, but he thinks the speedy player can do it. McKenzie said he’d be thrilled if Jones could someday develop into a nickel cornerback.

McKenzie said he is most encouraged by Jones’ ability to make the switch because of his outstanding play on special teams. He has shown a strong ability to tackle, to go along with his speed. McKenzie said he had Jones projected as a cornerback when Oakland took him in the fourth round out of Eastern Washington in 2011.

Jones has had a hard time staying healthy and has made little impact. He has 94 career yards on 22 carries.

McKenzie reiterated that the plan remains to move Michael Huff to safety. He played cornerback last season in an emergency.

UPDATE: I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. his thoughts on this proposed move for Jones and he thinks it will be difficult. This is what Williamson had to say: “Clearly, he has speed, but cornerbacks spend a ton of time backpedaling and flipping their hips in transition, as well as reading routes. Sounds like desperation to me.”

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Late last season, Oakland running back Taiwan Jones told reporters that he’d consider moving to cornerback to enhance his NFL career.

Now, with some time to think about it, the Raiders’ top decision-maker agrees with him.

“I’m pushing for cornerback,” Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie said Friday from the NFL combine. “I think it fits his skill set. I think we’re going to see how he does there.”

McKenzie acknowledged it will not be easy for Jones to make a position switch, but he thinks the speedy player can do it. McKenzie said he’d be thrilled if Jones could someday develop into a nickel cornerback.

McKenzie said he is most encouraged by Jones’ ability to make the switch because of his outstanding play on special teams. He has shown a strong ability to tackle, to go along with his speed. McKenzie said he had Jones projected as a cornerback when Oakland took him in the fourth round out of Eastern Washington in 2011.

Jones has had a hard time staying healthy and has made little impact. He has 94 career yards on 22 carries.

McKenzie reiterated that the plan remains to move Michael Huff to safety. He played cornerback last season in an emergency.

UPDATE: I asked Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. his thoughts on this proposed move for Jones and he thinks it will be difficult. This is what Williamson had to say: “Clearly, he has speed, but cornerbacks spend a ton of time backpedaling and flipping their hips in transition, as well as reading routes. Sounds like desperation to me.”

:ld:

Dusty Bake Activate

Fukk your corny debates
Daps

:wtf: