The Official 2013 Oakland Raiders Season Thread

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
FIRST THING FIRST "fukk THE NINERS!!!" :pacspit: :pacspit: take two muthafukkas

2nd RAIDER NATION Greg Olson is a great fit for us learn about it....

The Oakland Raiders have named veteran NFL assistant coach Greg Olson offensive coordinator. Head Coach Dennis Allen made the announcement Saturday.

Drew Brees’ quarterbacks coach at Purdue, Olson has spent six full years and part of another as an NFL offensive coordinator. His units have produced the best seasons in the careers of NFL playmakers Steven Jackson (2006) and Josh Freeman (2010). The common themes of his offense, which now will put Darren McFadden in a downhill, power scheme, have included:
•Explosive ground games that ranked among the league’s top 10 in rushing plays of 50-plus yards during four of his six years as an offensive coordinator;

•High-octane elements that fueled two finishes in the NFL’s top 10 in plays of 20-plus yards;

•Three 1,000-yard rushers in six years as an OC, three 1,000-yard receivers, and two of the more impressive passing seasons by an NFL quarterback in the last decade (Marc Bulger in 2006 and Freeman in 2010);

•Four Pro Bowl selections, all skills players;

•A knack for punching in touchdowns in goal-to-go situations (two finishes in the top eight of league rankings);

•A propensity for protecting the ball (finished among the NFL’s top six in fewest giveaways on two occasions);

•An ability to consistently find paydirt in the run game, something the Raiders lacked in 2012;

•A noticeable lack of dropped passes and negative-yardage plays, especially negative runs.

Olson, who has 26 years of coaching experience, including 11 as an NFL assistant and six as an offensive coordinator, was hired by Jon Gruden as quarterbacks coach prior to the 2008 season in Tampa Bay. He has tutored a notable group of signal-callers during his coaching career, including Freeman (2009-11), Marc Bulger (2006-07), Jeff Garcia (2001, 2008), Brees (1997-2000) and Jon Kitna (1992-93).

Olson becomes the Raiders’ fourth offensive coordinator in as many years, following Greg Knapp (2012), Al Saunders (2011) and Hue Jackson (2010). The Raiders did not have an offensive coordinator in 2009, with Ted Tollner serving as passing game coordinator for the Silver and Black.

Olson served as assistant head coach/quarterbacks for the Jacksonville Jaguars in 2012, overseeing the quarterback duo of Blaine Gabbert, the 10th overall pick in the 2011 draft, and Chad Henne, a second-round selection in 2008. With an injury-depleted rushing attack, Gabbert and Henne combined to rank 11th in the NFL with both 586 pass attempts and an average of 36.6 attempts per game.

Prior to joining the Jaguars, Olson served four seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, including three as offensive coordinator. He was responsible for the development of Freeman, the 17th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. Under Olson’s guidance, Freeman threw for 8,898 yards and 51 touchdowns in his first three seasons as a starter. Olson helped give the Buccaneers one of their best offensive seasons in team history, setting franchise records for yards per play (5.61), average yards per rush (4.64), average yards per pass attempt (7.21), passer rating (96.2) and fewest interceptions (six). The Buccaneers also finished with the fourth-most points scored (341), third-most yards of total offense (5,362) and second-best third-down percentage (42.2) in team history.

Olson went to Tampa Bay after serving two seasons as offensive coordinator for the St. Louis Rams. Under Olson’s direction, the 2006 Rams became just the fourth team in NFL history to produce a 4,000-yard passer (Bulger), a 1,500-yard rusher (Steven Jackson) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Isaac Bruce and Torry ****). Jackson led the NFL in total offense that season, and joined Bulger and **** as Pro Bowl selections.

Olson was also quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator (2005) and quarterbacks coach (2004) for the Detroit Lions, and quarterbacks coach for the Chicago Bears (2003). He entered the NFL as quarterbacks coach with the San Francisco 49ers in 2001, helping Garcia post career highs with 32 touchdowns, a 94.8 passer rating and a 62.7 completion percentage.

From 1997-2000 as quarterbacks coach at Purdue, Olso played a key role in the development of future Pro Bowl and Super Bowl-winning quarterback Brees, who was a Heisman Trophy finalist in 1999 and 2000, and recipient of the Maxwell Award as the nation’s most outstanding player in 2000.

Olson began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Washington State (1987-89). He spent four seasons at Central Washington (1990-93), developing future NFL starter Kitna, and two years as an assistant at Idaho (1994-96).

A native of Richland, Wash., Olson played quarterback at Spokane Falls Junior College (1981-82) and Central Washington (1983-84).

Olson’s wife, Lissa, was the first female to be named a head coach of a Division I men’s track and field team, guiding Purdue’s program from 2001-04. Olson and Lissa have twins, Kenneth and Grace.

Terrell Pryor will be the QB for 2014, he is Mark Davis guy that's why we got Greg Olsen

Waterproof

Warrior Lifestyle
Daps
Another name emerges in possible Raiders restructuring

Posted by Josh Alper on January 20, 2013, 12:53 PM EST

AP
Last week, there was a report that NFL executive V.P. of football operations Ray Anderson was under consideration for a senior front office role with the Raiders.

Per the report by Chris Mortensen of ESPN, Raiders owner Mark Davis is contemplating a restructuring of the organization this offseason. On Sunday morning, Mortensen’s colleague Adam Schefter reported that Anderson isn’t the only person in the mix for a top role in a revamped Raiders front office.

Schefter reports that Scott O’Neil, former president of Madison Square Garden, is talking with Davis and others about joining the Raiders as team president and instituting significant changes to the organization. O’Neil watched the final game of the regular season from the Raiders sideline, which is when the discussions about coming aboard began. According to Schefter, the Raiders are more focused on O’Neil than they are on Anderson at this point.

Amy Trask is currently the Raiders’ CEO and it’s not clear how any new hire would impact her role in the organization or if the hiring of O’Neil or anyone else would impact the security of General Manager Reggie McKenzie and coach Dennis Allen.

Hater

R.I.P
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
@TerrellePryor

Putting in work with my homie! @JacobyFord12 follow him

imagefromurl

This warms my heart brehs..:to: T-gawd putting in that work!

Supreme

King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC
This warms my heart brehs..:to: T-gawd putting in that work!

Hope this nikka working on throwing the football. Can't throw for shyt. Pulling for him but this will be main thing coaches will be watching when it comes to him.

BayArea Breez

GOAT Defensive Raider
Daps
Hope this nikka working on throwing the football. Can't throw for shyt. Pulling for him but this will be main thing coaches will be watching when it comes to him.

real talk, his throwing mechanics need a lot of work

but i will give him the :applaud: for putting in the type of work OffTheMarcus never put in

I am okay with the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach hires.. looks like sparano will serve in a similar role that tom cable is serving with pete carroll up in SEA.

a big part of me wants to see carson retire so we can recoup that cap space but another part of me wants him to stick around and coach up TPryor as best as he can...

i cant stand hearing about Kaepernick all day while we have Carson

Supreme

King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC
Do you guys think Pryor can run the no huddle like Carson though?

Hater

R.I.P
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
Mobile, Ala. --- For 18 years, Reggie McKenzie had been a mainstay in Green Bay. From 1994 to 2012, McKenzie grew from a scout to director of player personnel to director of football operations. Now, he's finally running the show in Oakland. McKenzie's first year as the Oakland Raiders' general manager was reminiscent of Ted Thompson's first year as G.M. in Green Bay. Both teams went 4-12.

As McKenzie explains, rebuilding the Raiders starts from the inside out. Here's what the Raiders boss had to say about taking over, trying to instill a new culture in Oakland and a potential change at quarterback:

Q: How has it been taking over your own team?

McKenzie: “Coming off the season we had, you’re judged by wins and losses. Coming up with four wins is not good enough. But even going into, I knew what we had to get done. We’re trying to change a lot of things around here, starting with the culture. We have a rookie coach, we have a rookie G.M. We kind of took our bumps here. We’re getting the players we need to get in here, getting the salary cap together. I’ve got almost a full arsenal of draft picks. I’m missing my two and five. Wish I could have those. We’ll find a way to get this thing done.

“Let me tell you something — we’re moving in the right direction. And it’s all about making good decisions. We have a good core of players right now. We’re making sure we get the right fit of 53 players by the end of this whole process so we can start the season ready to roll.”

Q: What did you learn in Green Bay with Ted Thompson?

McKenzie: “It’s all about building your team — build your staff, build your locker room, put the right kind of people in. They want to be Raiders. They want to win. And it’s all about the team. We had that in Green Bay.”

Q: How do you change the culture?

McKenzie: “It takes time. You can change moving parts and all that. But to change the culture, that’s going to take some time. I’m trying to get that back. I’m trying to get the Raider Way back. And we’re going to get it done. But you change it day by day. You can’t just quickly overhaul everything. That’s not going to change anything.”

Q: So it's about the minor changes?

McKenzie: “That helps, that helps. I’m going to continue to do that. We made some changes with the staff, which is the way we need to go. That’s going to help that process. We’re going to get this thing rolling. It’s going to be fine now. The culture will change.”

Q: What's the culture you want?

McKenzie: “When people look at us, they’re going to see professionalism. They’re going to see a winning attitude. They’re going to be a part of a winning atmosphere. They’re going to see our brand of football, which is physical, tough, high-energy play. I want people to be excited to go see a Raider game. So that’s what we’re trying to get to.”

Q: Will Terrelle Pryor have a chance to start this year?

McKenzie: “I want Terrelle to get a shot to show himself at quarterback. I told the whole staff, everybody’s going to compete for their job. So he’s competing for his job. Whether he’s 1, 2 or 3, he’s competing for his job. Starter, that’ll be carried out by coaches at the end of training camp. Show me you’re competitive. You want to get better. We’ll see how it goes.”

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/188249931.html?

@Saints The Saints Have Relieved Steve Spagnuolo & Ken Flajole of Their Duties

@ChrisHansenNFL Spagnuolo becomes instant candidate to coach linebackers in Oakland. Held that job from 04-06 in Philly.

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout
#Raiders: Rumor mill is working through the league that Oakland scouts love Geno Smith. Front office is ready for a new QB.
:shaq2:

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Never seen Geno Smith play, but if they draft a qb in the first round they better get Palmer the fukk out.

Skooby

Alone In My Zone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Cosmos
BBrAiiXCYAESg7H.jpg:large

:to:

Much respect to Reese

I hope this guy retires a Raider.

Never seen Geno Smith play, but if they draft a qb in the first round they better get Palmer the fukk out.

I saw him play once...it's not like he's the next coming. If Palmer goes, it's time to give Pryor a chance. I don't know why they are even thinking about Geno Smith.

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I hope this guy retires a Raider.

I saw him play once...it's not like he's the next coming. If Palmer goes, it's time to give Pryor a chance. I don't know why they are even thinking about Geno Smith.

I don't mind drafting a qb, that just gives some even competition for Pryor. I feel like all that shyt about Pryor competing for the starting qb job with Palmer is all bullshyt They won't ever pick Pryor over Palmer

Supreme

King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NC
:whoa: fukk this organization thinking about?! We got other spots we need to fill before we waste our pick on another unproven QB. First two picks should be defensive players.