The Official 2013 Oakland Raiders Season Thread

Hater

R.I.P
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
wow, everybody in the AFC West making moves except The Raaaaaidaz and Chargers (but at least they have a competent QB and a offensive guru coach to boot)

not sure if I'll be renewing my season tickets if it's coming down to Vince Young, Terrell Prior or Carson Palmer starting at QB

kill.me.now.

Don't do it to yourself breh.. This team could go 0-16.

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
The Raiders have begun their restocking post haste with their second and third free agent signing today. The move to add Pat Sims was leaked by his agent earlier and now they have also added defensive end Jason Hunter and linebacker Kaluka Maiava.

"We're excited to add three veterans through free agency," McKenzie said, "helping to create depth and competition on defense. We'll continue to add free agents as the opportunity surfaces."

Hunter comes over as member of Dennis Allen's defense during his 2011 season in Denver. The 6-foot-4, 275-pound defensive end flew under the radar due to being on injured reserve all last season with a triceps injury. Hunter spent the 2010 and 2011 seasons on the Broncos roster, appearing in all 32 games, and starting 14 games. The 8-year veteran came into the league with the Packers as an undrafted free agent out of Appalacian State. That means he has a connection with both Allen and Reggie Mckenzie.

Maiava, 25, played the last four seasons with the Cleveland Browns as at outside linebacker. He started 13 games at weakside linebacker last season for the Browns. He totaled a career high 53 combined tackles, 2.0 sacks, 3 passes defended, and 2 forced fumbles. He is phased out in Cleveland with the team switching to a 3-4 defense.

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Raiders are getting rid of everybody, getting rid of bad contracts, and rebuilding from the ground up

People really upset they not making moves are missing the big picture

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Executive Chair Of The West
Raiders expected host cornerback and defensive tackle today

The Oakland Raiders will host two more defensive players in addition to Dan Connor, whose visit was reported yesterday. In addition to Connor, a linebacker who played with the Dallas Cowboys last season, the Raiders will host corner back Terence Newman and defensive tackle Corey Williams.

Both guys are on the older side, Williams is 32 and Newman will turn 35 in September. Williams has actually already completed his visit this morning and left Oakland without a contract. While he may have peaked Reggie McKenzie's curiosity because he will likely come cheap, he clearly did not agree with McKenzie's idea of how cheap.

Newman, on the other hand, is the first guy the Raiders have looked at who could potentially be a solid starter. Earlier in his career, Newman was a solid CB. Scouts Inc. had the following to say about Newman:

Newman has good size and excellent athleticism and strength. He is a tough, competitive player with good instincts, especially in the passing game. Newman is a fluid athlete with great hips to turn and run effectively in press man schemes. He's physical enough to reroute his opponent off the line of scrimmage. He reads route progressions well and is an excellent reactor to both the run and pass. He is an excellent playmaker and brings experience and consistency.

The problem is, Newman is turning 35 and is clearly on the back side of his career. He is not a great option by any means, but considering the cap issues Oakland is facing, and Reggie McKenzie's hesitancy to spend money, Newman is a viable option for a CB unit that is severely in need of more depth.

Looks like at least for now, the Raiders will stick to signing cheap back up players to fill out a roster that was decimated by free agency and cuts.

Lakerman0834

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Raiders are getting rid of everybody, getting rid of bad contracts, and rebuilding from the ground up

ya they dumb if they not happy with this off-season all those big "FA" signings all use to do got us in this whole. Reggie smart enuff to get rid of dead weight and build thru the draft. Well suck next year but well be #1 pick and clowney will be ours :win:

Bay Area

Raiders/Warriors/A's
Daps
Reppin
East Oakland
I dont have a link but I heard we just signed Terrance Newman. Reggie doesn't have a lot to work with but I have faith in him.

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Terence Newman is not a young man by any stretch of the imagination but he is still a productive player despite his 34 years of age. He is coming off a season with the Bengals where he had 75 tackles, 2 interceptions and a forced fumble. The report is coming from Artrell Hawkins.

Currently the Raiders have Phillip Adams and Coye Francis as their cornerbacks so any signings in that department will be welcomed. Newman is better known as a former Dallas Cowboy than as a Cincinnati Bengal having spent 9 of his 10 seasons in the NFL wearing the famous Star on his helmet.

It is yet to be seen if Terence is being looked at as a possible replacement for recently released Safety Michael Huff or as a corner but he has played cornerback in every season so far. At his age it is not uncommon for a player to switch to the Safety position though so it is a possibility that they want him to replace Huff.

The amount that he is looking for with his contract offer is not known but I imagine he will come pretty cheap otherwise Reggie McKenzie would probably not be looking at him very much. He is not a long term fix for the position but he is a short term solution to a major hole on the team.

Hopefully Newman will do better than the two previous older corners that Reggie signed in Ron Bartell and Shawntae Spencer. One interesting thing to note is that he has his own charity which is named "Rising Stars Foundation" which gives out scholarships to student athletes. Here is a quote from his website (Welcome to the Official Site of Terence Newman of the Dallas Cowboys) after awarding 11 kids with scholarships to college:

"I wanted to give the kids that have potential to become leaders and positive examples for this community an opportunity to reach that potential," Newman said. "I am excited to provide these scholarships to these 11 great young men. I have gotten to know them very well over the last four years, and they are all good students and very good people. They all have a very promising future, and I am happy that those scholarships will help them achieve their goals."

I find that part interesting because it shows the type of person Terence is. It is important to fill the team with players that have good character and this definitely shows the type of person that Mr. Newman is. Hopefully the reports are true and he will be wearing the Silver and Black when the 2013 season comes to fruition.
:obama: Defense can't be any worse, hopefully Newman can bring some much needed and serious veteran leadership to the squad. He still is very serviceable for his age too. I trust McKenzie, we haven't even been through a full red-building effort, so its gonna take time, but I really like what Reggie is doing. :salute:

ryderldb

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm not big into College football. Is Clowney really the truth? I've seen some youtube highlight videos, but I've seen those for Rolando McClain as well so I don't put too much faith in those.

Ralph Wiggum

All Star
Supporter
Daps
lol, I'm lookin at all this losing with enthusiasm. I just hope we don't need another coach, as long as that's cool we need to rebuild this whole fukkin team. I had high hopes for McClain but he be trippin, all the other players not named Darren McFadden can fukk off and shyt, for the right price so can D-Mac. :mjpls:

If the popsickle sticks that make up the interior of McFadden's legs go out again this year.........to the bushes :birdman:

He's gonna go to another team and have a perfect record breaking season, we're just cursed like that :pachaha:

Hater

R.I.P
Daps
Reppin
Lakers
17498d1363345838-raiders-sign-lb-roach-image.jpg

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali

Plus you never know what can happen in a NFL season. Even though we've sucked for so long the NFL is so unpredictable. Other than a star QB or WR, I don't trip on big names too much. Its not the NBA