The myth of billionaires wearing cheap clothes and living frugally busted

Daps
Whatever investments he made, his wealth has nothing do with his clothing budget. I just showed he wasn't dressing any cheaper than anyone else. You guys have been proven wrong and yet are still to win the argument. you really out here negging people for agreeing with your bs :russ:
But he was dressing cheaper than the comparison in the meme, which is the entire point. If his wardrobe was filled with $300 shirts when he was broke, well, as it needs to be reiterated, we wouldn't be talking about him right now.

:manny:

You're just like that other cat and you've confused yourself at every turn, to now where you're just bullshytting.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
But he was dressing cheaper than the comparison in the meme, which is the entire point. If his wardrobe was filled with $300 shirts when he was broke, well, as it needs to be reiterated, we wouldn't be talking about him right now.

You're just like that other cat and you've confused yourself at every turn, to now where you're just bullshytting.
He wasn't dressing cheaper than the meme either. and people on the other end of the spectrum don't dress as expensive as the meme. shyt was wrong on both counts.
and i'm talking about pre-billionaire Zuckerberg, current Zuckerberg throws off that meme even more.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
It’s stupid as fukk. Same way cats was criticizing Nas for copping a chain like Nas ain’t clocking in 200 milli+. Lol. nikkas don’t understand they have to spend money when they are that rich. shyt is a tax write off.

Daps
Y’all moving goalposts now…at first it was billionaires don’t spend no money on clothes AND NOW it’s oh $300 for a t-shirt is nothing to them. Just take y’all L and move on :russ:
I'm curious to know, when has the argument ever been that billionaires don't spend any money on clothes? Who's ever said that?

:dwillhuh:
Most people don't even make a living wage(and it's a problem that gets worse every year) and people still believe you can budget your way into wealth:dead:
I guess the point is, you're much more likely to "budget your way into wealth", than unconsciously spending on material things. I don't think anyone is under the illusion that it's just simple as budgeting and you're going to become wealthy.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
I think the idea of this "myth" is being misconstrued. At the heart of the message is people shouldn't be overspending (clothes, cars, food, etc.), and especially not for the sole purpose of impressing people.
to me the heart of the issue was some lowkey :mjpls: shyt about black people, mainly rappers and athletes, "showing off". It was just masked as "he's a REAL millionaire because he wears clothes with no brands showing".

Daps
He wasn't dressing cheaper than the meme either. and people on the other end of the spectrum don't dress as expensive as the meme. shyt was wrong on both counts.
and i'm talking about pre-billionaire Zuckerberg, current Zuckerberg throws off that meme even more.
Do I really have to spell everything out for you?

The broke person in the meme that is spending beyond their means on clothes - Zuckerberg was dressing cheaper than that example. Don't take those prices as being literal (never mind the fact there are people out there who spend that much money on clothes), they're just to illustrate that the broke person is overspending on clothes (it's why they're broke), and the billionaire isn't/wasn't, because they didn't have that spending habit.

This is why I said previously, too many folks are getting caught up trying to read this in a literal sense, rather than reading between the lines.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Do I really have to spell everything out for you?

The broke person in the meme that is spending beyond their means on clothes - Zuckerberg was dressing cheaper than that example. Don't take those prices as being literal (never mind the fact there are people out there who spend that much money on clothes), they're just to illustrate that the broke person is overspending on clothes (it's why they're broke), and the billionaire isn't/wasn't, because they didn't have that spending habit.
if we're ignoring the prices in the meme now then there really isn't anything to talk about. Of course you shouldn't spend beyond your means.

Daps
if we're ignoring the prices in the meme now then there really isn't anything to talk about. Of course you shouldn't spend beyond your means.
That's the point of the meme.

That's the point of people saying billionaires wear cheap clothes.

If you're spending beyond what you can afford on clothes, it's most likely going to leave you in a perpetual state of being broke [Chicken or the egg dilemma], whereas the billionaire doesn't have that problem, because they spent their money on making money. If they spent their money on clothes in the same manner the broke person did, they'd be broke too. It's a basic way of looking at it, and there's nuance that needs to be applied, but's it's a cotdamn meme. It's not meant to be taken anything beyond a surface level.

Last edited:

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
The funny thing is we all know if a multimillionaire black athlete was rocking plain t shirt that cost $300,

the same posters defending Mark will change their tunes from "zuckerberg is living within his means" to "that's why athletes go broke few years after retirement" even though the athlete is doing the same thing as the billionaire i.e living within his means

King Poetic

Sagittarius KingPin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles, California
U kind of hear those comments from either these neosoul type listeners dumb ass radio DJs or birdbrain chicks

Turn on your local radio and you hear some idiot and listener talking about “ u see people, stop buying these cars and expensive material shyt and invest your money like so and so YT millionaire, that’s how you become rich “:francis:

I do know people who not rich but living comfortable, that tell me don’t go out and buy certain things and I agree because I’m not in bill gates/Michael Jordan pay range

my friend is married to a chick with 2 kids and all she talks about is buying expensive shyt and she works part time… it’s like come on … that’s just nonsense

Daps
The funny thing is we all know if a multimillionaire black athlete was rocking plain t shirt that cost $300,

the same posters defending Mark will change their tunes from "zuckerberg is living within his means" to "that's why athletes go broke few years after retirement" even though the athlete is doing the same thing as the billionaire i.e living within his means
:dwillhuh:

Does the obvious need to be pointed out to you?

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law
The affordability of the things thwy purchase really doesn't matter at all here. The point is, most people buy unneccesarily expensive things and
That includes billionaires.

Just because he can afford it does not mean spending $300 on a t shirt is not excessive (bte the same t shirt that people and the media often mistake for run on the mill and cheap),

He could easily wear a significantly cheaper clothes, "who is he trying to impress" right.
The affordability does matter though.

Jalether

Superstar
Daps
The affordability does matter though.

No it doesn't in the context of the meme/myths.

To those who perpectuate the myth, not only do these super rich cacs live frugally, they also only spend lavishly on things that appreciate in value. False on both account.

Now if you are talking generally then I get your point about living within your means