The "Multiverse" is Bad Storytelling

Mission249

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not inherent to the multiverse. It's just the writers aren't being clear with compelling rules and limitations.

It's the same issue with the Flash TV show where dude could move light speed one scene, but trips on marbles the next.

They actually did a good job showing us (without telling) how the Infinity Gauntlet was limited. Things could've gone left it they let that gauntlet be as powerful as the comics version.

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That movie was garbage that got hyped up for all the callbacks with the other spideys and villains :snoop:
That's the issue with most of this multiverse shyt. The stories suck mostly because they just lean on cameos and fan service. Someone in here tried to mention Everything Everywhere All At Once but that movie centered itself around a nuclear family's bonds and used multiverse fukkery to drive the plot forward in a fun way.

Compared to Flash and Dr. strange 2 where all it has going for it is
cc7fb1dd25863285a3061c5f5c45dabd.jpg

"omg it's [insert cameo here]!!!"

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's as trash as the concept of prequels and interquels. A way to create stories with no stakes. Most long running stories turn to these things to milk content.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
One large overarching multiverse story could have worked (and I thought this was where MCU was going) if they allowed all of the characters to interact over the course of several movies and TV shows. Instead they'll do a little story and put like 3-4 characters in there and it feels small in scale and like a waste of time which is funny because it's supposed to be a larger than life concept.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
That's the issue with most of this multiverse shyt. The stories suck mostly because they just lean on cameos and fan service. Someone in here tried to mention Everything Everywhere All At Once but that movie centered itself around a nuclear family's bonds and used multiverse fukkery to drive the plot forward in a fun way.

Compared to Flash and Dr. strange 2 where all it has going for it is
cc7fb1dd25863285a3061c5f5c45dabd.jpg

"omg it's [insert cameo here]!!!"
:russ: I said the same thing lol. Not saying it can’t be done. But at least what the mcu is doing. That multiverse shyt is just cameos and fan service. Just look at Deadpool 3 lol.

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
Its this just about marvel movies?

Theres countless stories the leverage the multiverse concept. Many span over several genres, medias and decades. One of the most popular is Star Trek. Another is Doctor Who. Or the very comics these comic book movies are based on.

shytty writing is shytty writing no matter what universe its being done it. Stop making excuses for lazy writers.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Its this just about marvel movies?

Theres countless stories the leverage the multiverse concept. Many span over several genres, medias and decades. One of the most popular is Star Trek. Another is Doctor Who. Or the very comics these comic book movies are based on.

shytty writing is shytty writing no matter what universe its being done it. Stop making excuses for lazy writers.
It's still a way to have things happen and either undo the results of have the results not matter so much. Multiverse shenanigans and time travel are things that shouldn't be entertained in quality story telling anymore. Writers constantly writing themselves into corners and using these crutches to undo the results.

There are rare examples like Back to the Future where the whole point was the time travel but for the most part these things are brought into long running stories because they have nowhere else to go as a way to reboot continuities, bring back dead characters, or undo decisions with catastrophic ramifications. If you run out of ideas just add the multiverse and you can do anything again.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Make no mistake about it. The MCU started it's decline when the multiverse was added. The undoing of the blip was the beginning of the end. They made a game changing decision that had real weight to it and couldn't commit. I think we all know a Mortal Kombat 1 style universe reset is on the way via the next Avengers movies.

Endgame had some dope moments with Thanos #2 but it overall was a letdown to Infinity War because of the multiverse plot undo button.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Make no mistake about it. The MCU started it's decline when the multiverse was added. The undoing of the blip was the beginning of the end. They made a game changing decision that had real weight to it and couldn't commit. I think we all know a Mortal Kombat 1 style universe reset is on the way via the next Avengers movies.

Endgame had some dope moments with Thanos #2 but it overall was a letdown to Infinity War because of the multiverse plot undo button.
The stakes were very high in endgame and infinity war so I assumed the route was to go back down to lower tier stakes- this is where I THOUGHT Young Avengers would come in.

Especially with all the shows with younger characters and stories centred around stories of adolescents (Sex Education, Grownish, Stranger Things, Bottoms etc). I think marvel dropped the ball with not doing this.

Comic books been dying badly in sales for decades, would make sense to stick to source material and treat this stuff like passion projects. There’s something to be learned at how manga is going about it I think

Da Jungles

CBALL
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MUSIC
The stakes were very high in endgame and infinity war so I assumed the route was to go back down to lower tier stakes- this is where I THOUGHT Young Avengers would come in.

Especially with all the shows with younger characters and stories centred around stories of adolescents (Sex Education, Grownish, Stranger Things, Bottoms etc). I think marvel dropped the ball with not doing this.

Comic books been dying badly in sales for decades, would make sense to stick to source material and treat this stuff like passion projects. There’s something to be learned at how manga is going about it I think

Edit: nvm. What I read is including Manga

Last edited: