The "Multiverse" is Bad Storytelling

Easy-E

I đź’—My Tribal Chief
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NO/VA/Nashville
They do and but it's dwindling. The older fans have been complaining about changes since the 80s and probably the 70s.

Thing is if they moved forward and actually made permanent changes the older fans base will complain but they aren't going anywhere.

But the focus on Superhero comics in America hurts the industry too. Tons of girls read manga that are just "slice of life" and think comic books are just superhero fluff. They don't know about a series like Love & Rockets or Strangers in Paradise. Even with comic fans in America a good chunk don't veer away from the superhero genre so they can't suggest a series in that genre to a non-reader

I think you're confusing the YA audience

Plenty of anime/manga are "superhero" influenced

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Tbh, the comic industry is too filled with narrow-minded racists and neckbeards (the creators and the fanbase) that it's actually for the better (and not surprising) that comic IPs often thrive more in outside media* (video games, movies, tv shows).

BP's upended 4-year MCU run made him a pop culture icon... whereas after 50+ years in the comics, Avenger writers and "comic fans" would still favor Hawkeye over him. As the previous poster said, only 5% (likely less than that) of movie goers actually read comics... hell, Spider-Man makes his money / millions a year from teens and little kids (toys, book bags, games, merch, etc) none of whom give 2 shyts about Peter's marital status or if Miles is overpowered.

The comic editors see this and think, oh we need to reflect this in the comics; the comic fans see this and are upset bc they want to keep things how it was "back in the day". I see this and think fukk both of them bc they weren't gonna do shyt with Miles, BP, John Stewart, etc anyway unless them negroes pop in outside media first. /rant

*but while the outside media puts a greater variety of eyes on a greater variety of IPs, the quality of the storytelling and depictions still need to be on point. Which is what was lost, i imagine with a number of the new characters introduced post-End Game for the MCU, and with the DCEU in general, regardless of if the multiverse was the backdrop or not.