The "Multiverse" is Bad Storytelling

Rhapscallion Démone

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
I can't wait to see where marvel takes this multiverse thing. I think they are going to introduce the X-men this way
Equals how the X-men can enter the marvel cinematic universe.

"Known as the Nexus of All Realities, the M'kraan Crystal allows one to travel to other realities of the Multiverse. Even shards of the crystal have this property"

crystal1.jpg

The M'kraan Crystal is the Nexus of the Multiverse. Kang and Scarlett Witch are two confirmed Nexus beings in the MCU.
a man seated on a golden throne

Elizabeth Olsen

"The Marvel Cinematic Universe has renewed interest in nexus beings. In the MCU, these include characters like America Chavez and Scarlet Witch, who have immense power and can travel through the multiverse without assistance. In Marvel Comics, their definition is far more complex. Here, a nexus being is any person or thing that has the power and capability to drastically affect probability and the timeline. They are rare, but a variant of them exists in every reality and serves as a temporal anchor point for that reality in the multiverse. But how many exist in the Marvel Universe, and who are they?"
Wandaww GIF - Wandaww GIFs

The Phoenix Force is a creation of the universe that was born of the void between states of being. It is the nexus of all psionic energy of the past, present, and future in all realities of the multiverse, the Guardian of Creation and of the dangerously powerful M'Kraan Crystal.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Reading your post it doesn't seem like the multiverse stuff in and of itself is bad storytelling. It seems like it's redundant because it's applied to every movie in the MCU. Maybe half your issue is with the MCU itself?

What do you make of the latest spiderverse movie then (without spoiling it)? Same shyt as the rest of these multiverse movies?

Majestyx

Duck Season
Daps
Reppin
Los Scandalous
i dont think the "multiverse" is inherently bad, but it is difficult to do it well, AND it has been used by some comic companies to retcon and fix their continuous continuity fukk ups DC Comics :manny: the latter usually ends up trash AF

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reading your post it doesn't seem like the multiverse stuff in and of itself is bad storytelling. It seems like it's redundant because it's applied to every movie in the MCU. Maybe half your issue is with the MCU itself?

What do you make of the latest spiderverse movie then (without spoiling it)? Same shyt as the rest of these multiverse movies?
It's a tricky scenario. Multiverse stories can be told but the truth is it's a bad storytelling device because of the slippery slope it creates. En masse "the multiverse" is an incubator for bad, stakeless, non committal writing

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Cool story bro.
Long form writing is all I know breh :mjgrin:

I would say Spider-Verse was done right because it pulled back the curtain on the ’rules’ of the multiverse and explored the consequences of the hero messing with the timelines. EEAAO works because they shared glimpses of these the different universes and we got a satisfying ending. While Strange 2 didn't work because it missed its mark IMO.

RhymesWell

All Star
Daps
Relying too heavily on the multiverse thing has definitely ruined DC & Marvel comic books for sure. They literally pull that shyt out of the toolbox every summer to retcon a bunch of stuff. Half the time it'll be stuff I actually liked getting retconned. After a while the comics don't feel like there's any actual stakes because you know everything is just a multiverse retcon away. Unfortunately the movies are falling into the same trap.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Relying too heavily on the multiverse thing has definitely ruined DC & Marvel comic books for sure. They literally pull that shyt out of the toolbox every summer to retcon a bunch of stuff. Half the time it'll be stuff I actually liked getting retconned. After a while the comics don't feel like there's any actual stakes because you know everything is just a multiverse retcon away. Unfortunately the movies are falling into the same trap.
Sad because they had decades of stories they could've done before touching the multiverse

But I'm sure part of the rush to multiverse was casting possibilities and then nikkas saw dollar signs :francis:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
Nah.

Like everything else in Hollywood and comics, the problem is that everyone just ends up doing a version of each other‘s story.

The reason everyone references BTTF in time travel stories is because they are inherently doing their own back to the future story.

Strange, Flash, and Spidey all just told the same nostalgia version of the same story. Spiderverse stood apart cause it is a different kind of multiverse story.