The most important match in wwe history?

Daps
Reppin
LDN
screwjob is more of an incident rather than an important match.

and truth be told, it wasnt THAT big of a deal in real-time. the internet just became obsessed with it around the time wrestling docs started poppin, and it took on a whole new life from there.

it belongs in the same boat as the curtain call.

:yeshrug:

I get your point, but all of these are judged in hindsight, as nobody knows at the time what the legacy will be

Nobody knew that Austin/Rock at Mania 17 was the de facto end of the Attitude Era

Nobody knew Montreal would kickstart Vince as an on-screen character against his wishes, kickstart the Attitude Era and ignite the defining feud of said era, propelling Austin into genuine megastardom

Regardless of how the match was planned to end up (and as a brawl it was a good match regardless, as they hated each other) the impact of Montreal literally altered the industry forever, and influenced everything for at least 10/15 years afterwards. To me you can’t separate the match itself from what came from it

if that ain’t influential I don’t know what is

mcellas

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Miami
screwjob is more of an incident rather than an important match.

and truth be told, it wasnt THAT big of a deal in real-time. the internet just became obsessed with it around the time wrestling docs started poppin, and it took on a whole new life from there.

it belongs in the same boat as the curtain call.

:yeshrug:

Idk brah when it happened I was in middle school and it was huge. Mr Mcmahon character was born from it

Love Sosa

Superstar
Daps
I’m gonna say Hogan/T vs Piper/Orndorff

Vince went literally all in with the concept of the first Mania. If that main event and celebrity doesn’t succeed, WWE would never be the same. The build up and payoff basically created the formula that still exists to this day. This formula also helped them basically get Tyson and turn the tide to win the Monday Night Wars years later. You could name a bunch more iconic matches but I can’t think of anything that directly and indirectly had a bigger effect on their success.

R=G

Street Terrorist
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Westcoast
I dunno, breh... HHH spent the summer doin lots of jobs and wasn't on any PPVs... mf even lost to The Stalker :huhldup: the punishment didn't last forever of course but he definitely was grounded for about three months. It was way different than what it would have been if he had won KOTR... but in hindsight, good thing he didn't :manny:
But who cares..he didn't mean shyt in 96.

TRIPLE M

This is Where the Power Lies
Daps
If you look at their business it’s hard to select one, but their most impactful, in terms of financial and aftermath were
Hulk Hogan vs Iron Sheik- MsG
Hulk Hogan and Mr T vs Roddy Piper and Mr Wonderful - Wrestlemania
Hulk Hogan vs Andre the Giant - Wrestlemania 3
Bret Hart vs Stone Cold Steve Austin Wrestlemania 13
the Rock vs Stone Cold Steve Austin Wrestlemania 17

Wacky D

PROVOCATIVE POSTING
Daps
Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels WrestleMania 12 (This is where their hatred for one another actually begins. HBK tells Bret to get the fukk out of the ring after the match is over.)

naw

this match was a snoozefest and half the crowd bounced before it even began.

I get your point, but all of these are judged in hindsight, as nobody knows at the time what the legacy will be

Nobody knew that Austin/Rock at Mania 17 was the de facto end of the Attitude Era

Nobody knew Montreal would kickstart Vince as an on-screen character against his wishes, kickstart the Attitude Era and ignite the defining feud of said era, propelling Austin into genuine megastardom

Regardless of how the match was planned to end up (and as a brawl it was a good match regardless, as they hated each other) the impact of Montreal literally altered the industry forever, and influenced everything for at least 10/15 years afterwards. To me you can’t separate the match itself from what came from it

if that ain’t influential I don’t know what is

how can i not seperate the match itself when the thread is titled "most important matches"?? if it said "most important moments", then thats a different story.

there has to be a great real-time effect.
austin/rock was a blockbuster in real-time regardless.

yall talk about the screwjob because of the finish and the non-stop documentaries that followed years later. what followed in real-time afterwards tho was bret hart getting exposed in WCW and HBK going into semi-retirement. meanwhile, the WWF became much bigger with both of them out the way. also, the WWF was getting their asses kicked and nobody but WWF stanleys gave a dam about the montreal screwjob - contrary to popular belief nowadays.

vince was already an onscreen character involved in angles throughout year. and he was yelling attitude era since like february of that year as well.

Last edited:

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
Looking at it slightly differently, the Montreal Screwjob.

This right here.

No Montreal Screwjob, no Mr McMahon and arguably no Attitude era dominance... hell, WCW might've even won the war... I'm not going to say Stone Cold wouldn't have been a star without Mr McMahon, but he wouldn't have reached nearly the same heights. A hero needs a villian.

XannyWarbucks

Superstar
Daps
Montreal Screwjob. It was a culmination of the GOAT fukkery year in WWF. :wow: The aftermath changed everything about the WWF vs WCW war and it's the only thing that'll still be discussed until the end of times.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
Hart vs Austin - Wrestlemania 97 is the most impt match in wrestling history

Michaels was supposed to drop the belt to Hart at Wrestlemania but refused...Hart does the smart thing, feuds with Austin...builds up Austin to superstar level...Bret turns heel (top 5 heel run imo)...Bret beats Taker, Montreal Screwjob, eventually Austin feuds with The Rock...97 was the best yr in wrestling history & it's mainly thx to the Hitman