The Martial Arts and Philosophy

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I have this conversation a lot actually. in fact in a lot of ways external schools especially those with a good competitive system Jujutsu with it various forms for instance offer the ability to field test their skills at several different levels in an "Alive" setting (I know the term is overused but it's apt in this case) the structure is being tested rigorously, I guess what I'm trying to say is that; a lot of people just want to feel like they are actually learning something, they want results and to be honest that was the way they used to gauge whether a martial artist was legit or a fraud.

Internal martial arts are stigmatized and are often viewed as bullshido, and having practiced both internal and external I understand why.
With my XYQ instructor I started doing apps and limited sparring after a couple months(boxing with the elements) . But since I had a good base in other stuff, I wasn't really looking to test myself fightingwise immediately, I guess. The reason I picked them up was to get the power generation and health aspects in one. I do think it's difficult to do IMA without an earlier background in something else. Even the old masters had backgrounds in baji, hong quan, luohanquan etc before they picked up Xingyi Taiji or Bagua. This is why I think the tang shou tao school's approach is so smart and produces IMA students that can actually fight; they start you off on waigong and shaolin esque forms and get you a solid fighting and conditioning program going before you get into the internals.

As far as testing your teacher/material, I make a point to request a spar/wrestle with anyone who i'm gonna learn something from. I was doing alright against him at first and then the old man hit me in the chest with one of those dou jin vibrating tiger strikes (:mjlol:), he put my on my ass. I had never felt that kind of penetrating strike before.

edit: you're right a lot of these chee hugger faggits can't fight.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
So who is opening up a studio in a decade or so?? There's money in it.. plus you can spread your craft.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
So who is opening up a studio in a decade or so?? There's money in it.. plus you can spread your craft.
Nah, I don't get in the 4-5+ hours necessary to become a real master anyway. But I'll probably teach my sons and daughters what I know, and maybe anyone else willing to do the jibengong in my garage.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Nah, I don't get in the 4-5+ hours necessary to become a real master anyway. But I'll probably teach my sons and daughters what I know, and maybe anyone else willing to do the jibengong in my garage.
yeah, I always hear about these dudes not having jobs for a while.

you have kids?

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
@Hannibal Fox @ExodusNirvana @Blackking @KyokushinKarateka any of you brehs practice with weapons? I just started da qiang (big spear) training for Xingyi.

Wow it's crazy you asked that. My Sensei just issued us our nunchucks (nunchaku) last week! Haven't had a training session with them just yet but we've been encouraged to go ahead and start playing around with them at home.
Nothing major just the cheap wooden beginner/training kind

Martial-Arts-Nunchucks-CLD060.jpg

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
im going around noon today...

I guess I'll step out on that limb and begin weapons training.
:leon: tell us how it goes, breh. Is your sifu the kind of person that is open to questioning/discussion, or is he more traditional 'do this no questions asked and you wont progress till you do it right'?

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:leon: tell us how it goes, breh. Is your sifu the kind of person that is open to questioning/discussion, or is he more traditional 'do this no questions asked and you wont progress till you do it right'?
:noah: you can ask.... but you will get stupid ass non-answer answers that = figure it out.

But it eventually does click in your head and muscle memory. :ohlawd:

I couldn't do it this weekend... shooting for wed, then fri, then every other day after.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
:noah: you can ask.... but you will get stupid ass non-answer answers that = figure it out.

But it eventually does click in your head and muscle memory. :ohlawd:
:ehh: is he/she chinese? They love that :troll: shyt. Mine is pretty good about answering my questions. I have a problem with thinking too far ahead/setting my goals on things too far in the future. @Hannibal Fox probably knows what I'm talking about when it comes to reaching the next stage. You said y'all have chambers etc for progression... Xingyi has three separate 'stages' of training and I can't keep the second off my mind, hidden power/Anjing. I'm still in the 'obvious' or bright stage, mingjing. Which is the first.

http://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/wang-jiwu-on-hidden-power/

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
:ehh: is he/she chinese? They love that :troll: shyt. Mine is pretty good about answering my questions. I have a problem with thinking too far ahead/setting my goals on things too far in the future. @Hannibal Fox probably knows what I'm talking about when it comes to reaching the next stage. You said y'all have chambers etc for progression... Xingyi has three separate 'stages' of training and I can't keep the second off my mind, hidden power/Anjing. I'm still in the 'obvious' or bright stage, mingjing. Which is the first.

http://wulinmingshi.wordpress.com/2009/09/04/wang-jiwu-on-hidden-power/
We basically have the 3 stages too... I'm barely into the 2nd. It's like a dif universe though because I was all power n shyt in the first chamber.. now I'm with students who are all powerful.

He's not Chinese, the grand teacher or whatever is mixed, then the great grand is chinese.... then a one other person, then ip man.

And about setting future goals.. I would say just focus on perfecting what you're currently working on. You probably already know that everything builds on each other - I used to set goals too far too....... but then I found myself( randomly) a year later, discovering new aspects to old shyt-- which scared the crap out of me. I was sorta pushing to get into the 2nd chamber too-- but again.. it wasn't until a year after that- I figured out why I wasn't moved up yet. Your sifi will know for sure when you're ready for new things.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
We basically have the 3 stages too... I'm barely into the 2nd. It's like a dif universe though because I was all power n shyt in the first chamber.. now I'm with students who are all powerful.

He's not Chinese, the grand teacher or whatever is mixed, then the great grand is chinese.... then a one other person, then ip man.

And about setting future goals.. I would say just focus on perfecting what you're currently working on. You probably already know that everything builds on each other - I used to set goals too far too....... but then I found myself( randomly) a year later, discovering new aspects to old shyt-- which scared the crap out of me. I was sorta pushing to get into the 2nd chamber too-- but again.. it wasn't until a year after that- I figured out why I wasn't moved up yet. Your sifi will know for sure when you're ready for new things.
Ah, that's cool. I learn from my teacher mostly. My grandteacher comes into town once in a while, here's a vid of him:

He was the disciple from the disciple of one of sun lu tang's sons:
http://benotdefeatedbytherain.blogspot.com/2012/06/no-tracks-in-snow-remembering-sun.html

Yea, I agree on the new stuff in old shyt. That's what I like about chinese ma. There's always much deeper levels to what you think is elementary or basic.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps

Hannibal Fox

Eetwidomayloh
Daps
Reppin
Death To Spookism
Last edited: