The Martial Arts and Philosophy

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
I wouldn't have known how to score a few of those takedowns...

but yeah:whew:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
@Blackking how is weapons training going :ohhh:
It is going..... private and with one guy I know who is about on my same level... so not good.

I haven't had time to make it on the days that they have set times because I have my own bus now.. and I thought I would have More time for MA... but actually I have less.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
It is going..... private and with one guy I know who is about on my same level... so not good.

I haven't had time to make it on the days that they have set times because I have my own bus now.. and I thought I would have More time for MA... but actually I have less.

It happens man. I've also gotten busy with various things all of a sudden and i've had to cut back some of my solo training, but I also started learning Taiji and Taiji straight sword (jian) it's very interesting. I can see the parallel between the jian and western fencing, and the kinds of things practicing with one can teach you. I see why it was venerated as a 'gentleman's weapon'

I also gave candle flame practice a try recently, a form of mental and mechanical training. You ever try this @ExodusNirvana @Hannibal Fox ? It's surprisingly hard. You have to be really lose to create the right effect.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
It happens man. I've also gotten busy with various things all of a sudden and i've had to cut back some of my solo training, but I also started learning Taiji and Taiji straight sword (jian) it's very interesting. I can see the parallel between the jian and western fencing, and the kinds of things practicing with one can teach you. I see why it was venerated as a 'gentleman's weapon'

I also gave candle flame practice a try recently, a form of mental and mechanical training. You ever try this @ExodusNirvana @Hannibal Fox ? It's surprisingly hard. You have to be really lose to create the right effect.

:yes:

We use this to teach students speed, coordination, and how to focus energy. If you can consistently off that candle with a strike from a distance, not only will you be fast as hell but your internal energy and breath control will be next level. Some of my instructors can do this from dumb far, it's scary...

This is probably one of the quickest ways to develop internal power IMO

This is also how you develop ways to punch someone to damage them internally too :mjpls:

LOL everytime you post something here I'm like man...I haven't done this in forever I'm slackin :lupe:

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
:yes:

We use this to teach students speed, coordination, and how to focus energy. If you can consistently off that candle with a strike from a distance, not only will you be fast as hell but your internal energy and breath control will be next level. Some of my instructors can do this from dumb far, it's scary...

This is probably one of the quickest ways to develop internal power IMO

This is also how you develop ways to punch someone to damage them internally too :mjpls:

LOL everytime you post something here I'm like man...I haven't done this in forever I'm slackin :lupe:
When I gave it a try, I felt as if it was a good method of eliminating unnecessary movement in whole body power expression. If you waste energy with shakes and tension, then it's nigh impossible to get that candle.

RE; developing internal power, idk. I felt as though my intent/body awareness was pretty important though, so :ehh:

As far as strikes to damage people internally, the methods i learned for that are pretty different from stuff like this. I can definitely see the potential in how it teaches you to strike through things.

I'm slacking too breh. During the winter my training time decreased a ton. But ever since feb i've been back on it. I vowed this year that i'd start from the beginning again in my solo practice and just work on the most basic of basics, standing training, conditioning and 5-element fist.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
When I gave it a try, I felt as if it was a good method of eliminating unnecessary movement in whole body power expression. If you waste energy with shakes and tension, then it's nigh impossible to get that candle.

RE; developing internal power, idk. I felt as though my intent/body awareness was pretty important though, so :ehh:

As far as strikes to damage people internally, the methods i learned for that are pretty different from stuff like this. I can definitely see the potential in how it teaches you to strike through things.

I'm slacking too breh. During the winter my training time decreased a ton. But ever since feb i've been back on it. I vowed this year that i'd start from the beginning again in my solo practice and just work on the most basic of basics, standing training, conditioning and 5-element fist.
That's normal...especially if you live in an area with fluctuating seasons. During the winter you're supposed to take it easy, focusing on stretching, breathing, meditation, Qi Gong exercises. The internal stuff. We're not like bears and other animals, we don't hibernate, but we do have to slow down for a few months per year so our body can do things that will ensure our strength in the later parts of the year.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
That's normal...especially if you live in an area with fluctuating seasons. During the winter you're supposed to take it easy, focusing on stretching, breathing, meditation, Qi Gong exercises. The internal stuff. We're not like bears and other animals, we don't hibernate, but we do have to slow down for a few months per year so our body can do things that will ensure our strength in the later parts of the year.
:gladbron: you know your shyt breh. I'm not trying to talk about the way the seasons are supposed to affect our training re: Daoist/TCM philosophy because a lot of people find that shyt wonky. That is exactly what I did. Focused on my standing practice, but I also did hard fa-jing and internal force training.

Basically, what i learned is winter time causes the qi in nature to retreat inward to rest. Winter is best for meditation and qigong. Winter is also the Kidney time and qigong that focuses on the that organ are best thus my emphasis on tantian qigong and building kidney energy through root work training. There is a theory in chinese medicine that talks about the level of qi in the body at different times of year and we should practice in harmony with it. It is a reflection of studying nature and the "five elements or phases" and its system of correspondences. The qi is "on the surface" in the Spring. Meaning that after winter the qi that has been dormant comes to the surface. Leaves come out on trees. Grass sprouts. Animals come out of hibernation etc. The summer has the qi in full culmination so the idea behind the Soft power would be that you don't want to tax the body with too much work that would weaken the system. In fall the qi starts to dive deeper into the body and so it is okay to start practicing a little harder. Finally the winter has the qi driving deepest into the body where the bones and marrow are. This is it in a nutshell. To be honest it goes much deeper into the Five Phases/elements and Chinese Astrology which does not really have anything to do with fortune telling.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
:gladbron: you know your shyt breh. I'm not trying to talk about the way the seasons are supposed to affect our training re: Daoist/TCM philosophy because a lot of people find that shyt wonky. That is exactly what I did. Focused on my standing practice, but I also did hard fa-jing and internal force training.

Basically, what i learned is winter time causes the qi in nature to retreat inward to rest. Winter is best for meditation and qigong. Winter is also the Kidney time and qigong that focuses on the that organ are best thus my emphasis on tantian qigong and building kidney energy through root work training. There is a theory in chinese medicine that talks about the level of qi in the body at different times of year and we should practice in harmony with it. It is a reflection of studying nature and the "five elements or phases" and its system of correspondences. The qi is "on the surface" in the Spring. Meaning that after winter the qi that has been dormant comes to the surface. Leaves come out on trees. Grass sprouts. Animals come out of hibernation etc. The summer has the qi in full culmination so the idea behind the Soft power would be that you don't want to tax the body with too much work that would weaken the system. In fall the qi starts to dive deeper into the body and so it is okay to start practicing a little harder. Finally the winter has the qi driving deepest into the body where the bones and marrow are. This is it in a nutshell. To be honest it goes much deeper into the Five Phases/elements and Chinese Astrology which does not really have anything to do with fortune telling.
You must spread reputation to at least 40 other user(s) before you can give reputation to Broletariat again.

All these things are simple science too...but people hear words like Qi and they think it's magic or something. When you learn to start listening to your body with respect to these things, you gain an understanding of how it works. Thus a longer, healthier, happier life.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
You must spread reputation to at least 40 other user(s) before you can give reputation to Broletariat again.

All these things are simple science too...but people hear words like Qi and they think it's magic or something. When you learn to start listening to your body with respect to these things, you gain an understanding of how it works. Thus a longer, healthier, happier life.
:myman:

What Qi basically is imo is a prescientific paradigm that the chinese use to describe a bunch of various phenomena that relate to a bunch of different subjects in nature and the human body/mind. It's not that serious