The Martial Arts and Philosophy

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
i wish martial arts(brazilian jiu jitsu, judo and aikido mostly) were part of the american school system. judo as a phys ed would do so much for these kids. unfortunately these bytch ass parents would be too afraid to let them do it :snoop:

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
i wish martial arts(brazilian jiu jitsu, judo and aikido mostly) were part of the american school system. judo as a phys ed would do so much for these kids. unfortunately these bytch ass parents would be too afraid to let them do it :snoop:
akido? :camby: Bjj should be a staple in every PE class in America.

Don Mack

All Star
Daps
Reppin
ATL
You get more power to generate through your hips
The higher you lift your knee but its also easier to telegraph that way.

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This thread:ohhh:

Been meditating for a little while and working on improving my breathing for better control of my energy

I see a lot of potentially useful shyt in here:wow:

O.Red

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It happens man. I've also gotten busy with various things all of a sudden and i've had to cut back some of my solo training, but I also started learning Taiji and Taiji straight sword (jian) it's very interesting. I can see the parallel between the jian and western fencing, and the kinds of things practicing with one can teach you. I see why it was venerated as a 'gentleman's weapon'

I also gave candle flame practice a try recently, a form of mental and mechanical training. You ever try this @ExodusNirvana @Hannibal Fox ? It's surprisingly hard. You have to be really lose to create the right effect.

:ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh::ohhh:

Poh SIti Dawn

Staying Positive, Getting Better Everyday. Holler!
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Appear outwardly weak, but be inwardly strong" a lot of martial artist forget the meaning of the word "martial" and are quick to boastfully show their skill. And they have lost sight of the essence of their training. Martial arts training must be taken deadly serious, considering what the intent should be when a strike is thrown in real life. The intent should be to end ones life with every blow. That's the intent at least. I find way too many "practitioners " lacking an understanding of the gravity of their responsibilities to themselves, their art, and society.

The Book of Five Rings is a facinating read btw
I disagree with this.

The intent is to destabilize the opposing force, and to defend yourself from attack.

Great thread, BTW. And I've read the book of five rings, as well.

I'm reading Jigoro Kano's book "mind over muscle" now. He talks about seiryoku zenyo " minimum energy maximum efficiency and the teachings of judo.

How ultimately how goals are to prefect ourselves only to be a great contributor to society, without contribution perfection is meaningless. Judo is used for defence, but to also cultivate mind and body, and through this we gather discipline and strength to perfect one and reciprocate the energy in the world through contributions.

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ikr prolly decrease gun violence

Poh SIti Dawn

Daps
Reppin
NULL
I do Muay Thai, Ju Jutsu, and CSW, and a tad bit of judo. I'd like to teach myself more of the throws