The Martial Arts and Philosophy

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
His a world class wrestler... so those techniques always are underrated by traditional MA guys .
Always, always. I did wrestling for a year in high school and football 4 years and it's the base of my grapple game. TMA guys and even some of the brazil jujitsu dudes are surprised by how well the shyt works constantly. Even my XY instructor was like :what: when i told him that some of the floor exercises we do were also in my wrestling curriculum.

Also Bruce Lee was gifted (it's hard to train speed past a point) but that dude trained his fukking ass off.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Always, always. I did wrestling for a year in high school and football 4 years and it's the base of my grapple game. TMA guys and even some of the brazil jujitsu dudes are surprised by how well the shyt works constantly. Even my XY instructor was like :what: when i told him that some of the floor exercises we do were also in my wrestling curriculum.

Also Bruce Lee was gifted (it's hard to train speed past a point) but that dude trained his fukking ass off.
I think this is y people can't take away from Traditional MA though.... and go :stopitslime: and the wrestlers and others.

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
I think this is y people can't take away from Traditional MA though.... and go :stopitslime: and the wrestlers and others.

King Mo lost but wow I honestly have to say, he can fight.
The glaring bad habits I had previously mentioned that he had were rearing their ugly heads throughout the fight though, and in the end contributed to his defeat.
But, this being my first actual full fight I've seen of this guy against formidable level competition, I must say I am impressed must admit he is far more ahead of the amateurish curve I categorized him to be. Really needs to polish up though! Simply having better balance, footwork, DEFENSE lol, and timing would make him a MONSTER.

*edit - his timing is actually impressive, I thinks it's his distancing that makes it all look awkward. But it works for him for the most part :manny:

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
King Mo lost but wow I honestly have to say, he can fight.
The glaring bad habits I had previously mentioned that he had were rearing their ugly heads throughout the fight though, and in the end contributed to his defeat.
But, this being my first actual full fight I've seen of this guy against formidable level competition, I must say I am impressed must admit he is far more ahead of the amateurish curve I categorized him to be. Really needs to polish up though! Simply having better balance, footwork, DEFENSE lol, and timing would make him a MONSTER.

*edit - his timing is actually impressive, I thinks it's his distancing that makes it all look awkward. But it works for him for the most part :manny:
word.

I agree.. and the abilities he comes packaged with makes you want to root for him.. but then you cringe at the unpolished mistakes. He could have knocked the guy out easy... but the other guy had wayyy too much random forms of asian MA training.... and was able to beat him on distance and remaining composed.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
word.

I agree.. and the abilities he comes packaged with makes you want to root for him.. but then you cringe at the unpolished mistakes. He could have knocked the guy out easy... but the other guy had wayyy too much random forms of asian MA training.... and was able to beat him on distance and remaining composed.
I dont think it has to do with "asian" at all. That guy just wasnt throwing his punches in any concise manner at all, and getting mad impatient. Thats why Joe Louis is my favorite boxer...Dude is like a fukking tiger that waits just for the right time to unleash his mortar shells...Unorthodoxy can be good, in a Roy Jones Jr. manner, but a higher level opponent wont let you dominate them with your physicality and intimidation tactics usually. They have the will to win and will fight through it like this Fejia guy did. His strikes were crisper, he wasted less energy. Also, that dude fejio has a well built back= the sign of a guy who's got some heat in his hands.

@KyokushinKarateka a little cut from my favorite blog about Machida's effectiveness in MMA

http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com/2009/06/lyoto-machida-and-other-irrational.html

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
I dont think it has to do with "asian" at all. That guy just wasnt throwing his punches in any concise manner at all, and getting mad impatient. Thats why Joe Louis is my favorite boxer...Dude is like a fukking tiger that waits just for the right time to unleash his mortar shells...Unorthodoxy can be good, in a Roy Jones Jr. manner, but a higher level opponent wont let you dominate them with your physicality and intimidation tactics usually. They have the will to win and will fight through it like this Fejia guy did. His strikes were crisper, he wasted less energy. Also, that dude fejio has a well built back= the sign of a guy who's got some heat in his hands.

@KyokushinKarateka a little cut from my favorite blog about Machida's effectiveness in MMA

http://dandjurdjevic.blogspot.com/2009/06/lyoto-machida-and-other-irrational.html

Good look on the link :salute:

It was a great read and many good points were made. Some that I reluctantly have to agree with because, well, they're true and I cannot deny it :(.. while others I happily agree with because I share pretty much the same view.
In my opinion, it is impossible to study a traditional martial art for a long time and not have it show itself in a fight in some way shape or form. That distance and timing that Machida applies so well is a notorious trait of Shotokan practicioners, and after having trained it so long, probably virtually impossible to "untrain" the habit. Great read!

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Good look on the link :salute:

It was a great read and many good points were made. Some that I reluctantly have to agree with because, well, they're true and I cannot deny it :(.. while others I happily agree with because I share pretty much the same view.
In my opinion, it is impossible to study a traditional martial art for a long time and not have it show itself in a fight in some way shape or form. That distance and timing that Machida applies so well is a notorious trait of Shotokan practicioners, and after having trained it so long, probably virtually impossible to "untrain" the habit. Great read!
BUT:

I know this goes against my original stance... but @Broletariat

this is interesting. You say that the black dude who beat up King Mo wasn't crisp or concise, and other things.... WELL the ring isn't the street. There is the crowd, the girls with the cards, money, and tournament rules. If King Mo would have throw that wild punch outside the ring - Dude would have grabed his arm, broke it then low kicked him in groin - which would be illegal in MMA.
As far as Machida and the article. I agree with the points... You have to respect Machida, because even when the karate moves aren't showing, the principles are there.

However, there is that raw element. Kids in Thailand have it. Most Translantic slave descendants have it. (i know that sounds ignorant, but look at fighting sports world wide). Turn the volume up and listen to the commentating of this video. They speak about Machida's style.. his second nature skill... BUT

pay attention to Jones. You just can't fukk that raw element regardless of how much training you have. And Jones trains hard in multiple forms, and he's a world class wrestler... but He's great because he's a freak of nature. Like King Mo.. his hip adjust, elbows swing, and timing all just happen without even thinking about it.

I'm a Jones fan... but as a T MA person I was like :ehh: first few mins... Then like :sadcam: at 5 min in this video..

On a side note: IN this day n age... muthfackers who practice traditions MA need to def spend more time on take down defense and Defense overall... You aren't going to be fighting other traditional MA people all the time... or untrained people all the time. People are out here with a Muythai, BJJ, street fighing combo n shyt @Mowgli

Last edited:

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
Very insightful..so I read the first 5 pages... subbed the rest for post work reading... Quick quesiton...I really want to get back into martial arts... Did karate & Kickboxing for the form ages 7-15 then life got in the way... I'm an avid gym goer tend to do alot of full body strength training type programs... can anybody suggest what sort of martial art (specifically for self defence / unavoidable confrontation) styles/dojos I should be looking up in the local vicinity?

Exiled Martian

Was young I couldn't do good, now I can't do Bad
Daps
Reppin
Swag-hili Shores
Very insightful..so I read the first 5 pages... subbed the rest for post work reading... Quick quesiton...I really want to get back into martial arts... Did karate & Kickboxing from ages 7-15 then life & many other non excusable distracitons got in the way... Currently I'm an avid gym goer tend to do alot of full body strength training type programs... can anybody suggest what sort of martial art (specifically for self defence / unavoidable confrontation) styles/dojos I should be looking up in the local vicinity?

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
On a side note: IN this day n age... muthfackers who practice traditions MA need to def spend more time on take down defense and Defense overall... You aren't going to be fighting other traditional MA people all the time... or untrained people all the time. People are out here with a Muythai, BJJ, street fighing combo n shyt @Mowgli

I couldn't agree more and I am fortunate to have an instructor who even encourages cross-training in ground arts and even western boxing.
Too often you run into instructors of traditional martial arts who preach "this is all you'll ever need" etc.. They blatantly discourage their students from seeking outside training, evening going so far as to threaten them with potentially losing their membership with their home club. Shame.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
Very insightful..so I read the first 5 pages... subbed the rest for post work reading... Quick quesiton...I really want to get back into martial arts... Did karate & Kickboxing from ages 7-15 then life & many other non excusable distracitons got in the way... Currently I'm an avid gym goer tend to do alot of full body strength training type programs... can anybody suggest what sort of martial art (specifically for self defence / unavoidable confrontation) styles/dojos I should be looking up in the local vicinity?

The art is really irrelevant. Avoid aikido (it's bullshyt every time)...... What's more important is the teacher and environment. Get something that's full contact.. It doesn't have to be a big school or anything, sometimes the backyard instruction is some of the best. PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTHS, but also find a program that addresses a gap in your knowledge; which seems to be grappling and throwing. Trust your feelings, and avoid mystical bullshyt, people who don't work hard, and instructors who claim to have "black belts" in many martial arts.

Crakface

Daps
Reppin
L.A
I wouldnt bother with any martial arts teacher that doesnt actually have a string of accolades to his name and been in a great number of street fights.

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps