The Martial Arts and Philosophy

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
It's an incorrect bias. For example in China a lot of people dont give a fukk about TMA. Over there, it's regarded as something like religion is over here for young people; old and outdated and unnecessary. The people willing to cross oceans and spend years dedicated to this shyt are usually white or black people. That's just how it is. Some of the best TMA can be found right here in America and Europe.

This is nothing but pure TRUTH. My Sensei spent many years living and growing up and training in Japan. He always tells stories of how most Japanese don't even care about the Martial Arts, and that not only is it hard to find good schools, but when you do theyre expensive because they're rare. He's careful to remark that there are PLENTY of schools, just very few GOOD ones. Why? Because all of the good teachers have lonnnng since migrated to the West to teach, hence today's fruitful abundance of Senseis/Masters you can find here if you know how to sift through the even more abundant presence of frauds. But yes, as you said, some of the best teaching/teachers are found in the West in this day and age. It is a misnomer to think that one should travel East for 'true' Martial Arts wisdom.

Last edited:

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
traveling and other shyt...

best way to keep reactions up w out actually practicing???
My grandteacher once told me that people in the west thing of practicing as an hour long or more cardiovascular workout. He said these are essential, but that gongfu should be in everything you do. Catch flies with your hands. Open doors and flip switches with your feet to practice kicking control. Practice meditation before you sleep. Attempt to move from your dantian as much as possible while you move around in your daily life. He said that its these small things that help you 'become Hsing' I Chuan'.

Well and ya you could do calisthenics and neigong. I have a ton of solo drills for that purpose.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
My grandteacher once told me that people in the west thing of practicing as an hour long or more cardiovascular workout. He said these are essential, but that gongfu should be in everything you do. Catch flies with your hands. Open doors and flip switches with your feet to practice kicking control. Practice meditation before you sleep. Attempt to move from your dantian as much as possible while you move around in your daily life. He said that its these small things that help you 'become Hsing' I Chuan'.

Well and ya you could do calisthenics and neigong. I have a ton of solo drills for that purpose.
In the system I train in, the days that I don't practice strikes or forms, I just work on breathing and meditation.

We have a Chi-Gong form calling 8 Silk Weaving or Ba Dwa Jin (wiki it) that is one of the most common chi gong forms in existence and pretty simple to do. Different schools have different versions but the end result is all the same, breath control, massaging the internal organs (kidneys, spleen, lungs) in a way that stimulates blood circulation (and thus energy circulation) in the body, etc.

And I'm glad you guys understand some of the misconceptions about martial arts in the east as far as popularity was concerned. After Communist Reformation and even WW2 with Japan, there was a huge drop off in the popularity of the TMAs in their home country, and even now, people over there don't have time for that, they have lives and jobs they need to focus on, not everyone has the time to dedicate themselves to a martial art and even if they did, there are not many schools like that over there.

Mr. Somebody

Friend Of A Friend
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles

I do this all the time friend. For example when i go to put on my socks i step on them on the floor and in the same stride, grab them with my toes and throw them over the back of my shoulder and catch them then stand on 1 leg to put on my sock.
:youngsabo:

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
:blessed::wow::whew::damn:

This guy is fukkin amazing. A real Xing Yi master. Some dope throws, qinna, counters in this....Check out the throws at 14:30. I thought dude was gonna be down for a min... The woman at the end is also quite skilled. Better than most dudes in the US.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
word. his ground throws are good. I only started at 14...
Check the palm strike at 8:00. The student rolled with it, but thats the kind of explosive power 'fa jing' that internal arts are famed for.

at 9:35 you can see how push hands/chi sao are applied in the IMA as well. Opening up for the boom!

Blackking

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Check the palm strike at 8:00. The student rolled with it, but thats the kind of explosive power 'fa jing' that internal arts are famed for.

at 9:35 you can see how push hands/chi sao are applied in the IMA as well. Opening up for the boom!
daynm, at the way he flopped down so hard...

that shyts crazy. I tried to explain to someone in life about gaining this type of power over time... but people don't get it.

Julius Skrrvin

Daps
daynm, at the way he flopped down so hard...

that shyts crazy. I tried to explain to someone in life about gaining this type of power over time... but people don't get it.
You can't really explain it in scientific terms, tbh. That's just the skill you get from training for full body power for decades, coordinating your mind and body, building connected strength, and just perfecting the movements. Those guys are from the Dai Xinyi branch and they do some strict ass training to get that power. Starting from the time they're kids.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
TAN TUI!!! :blessed:

We call them "Springing Legs" in my school and we have 12. You need to master all 12 before you get 2nd degree (Instructor) in our school.

They provide a good foundation. I always tell people under me, if you practice your springing legs slow and repeatedly for hours, days, months, when it comes time to fight in the circle in class or outside on the street, all your basic technique will come out like water because your body's muscle memory will remember those little punches and kicks and low stances that you do during the forms.

It's a double edged sword though cause some schools all they do is teach forms, specifically these, and they don't really break down what all the techniques are.

Then you get students trying to fight "with" springing legs as opposed to fighting using the applications from them :snoop: