The Marshall Mathers LP was 1 of the most popular albums in the 2000s, is it a top 25 Hip Hop album?

IAmListenin'

Rookie
Daps
I was using this album as an example of how something can be so big and popular and hyped up and not be classic at all when the dust settles.
Just goes to show u that a lot of albums can be some of the most popular albums of their time but then once time passes, it don't hold up.

And that's what determines a classic in any medium to begin with. A period of time has to have elapsed before you can truly know. The term "instant classic" some people use is an oxymoron.

WallStreet

Rookie
Daps
Can someone start a thread of the top 25 or even top 10 of the 2000-2008 era? Since we’re talking about it. I’d be really interested since I remember back in those days how people called it the worst hip hop era as far as content went.

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Its a classic and been a classic album for a while...it's on multiple greatest album of all times lists...

If you don't think it's a classic then IDK what to tell you...:francis:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
And that's what determines a classic in any medium to begin with. A period of time has to have elapsed before you can truly know. The term "instant classic" some people use is an oxymoron.

Yeah, if it stands the test of time.

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Kim is a bit much to take, but I always laugh at the "Kim, why don't you like me?" line...

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Naw...has aged pretty terribly, along with the production. It's contemporary, Chronic 2001 still sounds fresh and more cohesive.

Stan is the only song that had some real substance imho....

Jimmy Two-Times™

Coli Mods Catch Me If U Can Forgive Me Imma Ridah™
Daps
Reppin
Peckham™ Come Get Me!
Slim Shady EP and LP were miles better. Those I'd rate in my top #30.

still a classic though

34q6z6f.jpg

Last edited:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
Naw...has aged pretty terribly, along with the production. It's contemporary, Chronic 2001 still sounds fresh and more cohesive.

Stan is the only song that had some real substance imho....

Really?

I think people need to put Eminem in perspective

MMLP and Eminem Show are about being White in Hip Hop and White America's double standard when it comes to White pain and suffering compared to Blacks

When White people suffer, it's what about the kids and what about the humanity. When Black people suffer it's fukk them they are scum.

So when Em raps about the white trash lifestyle and the impact of the lifestyle...its a problem. But

The songs Who Knew and The Way I Am touch on the double standards of White people...

The song Remember Me touches on the fact that the only reason he is so successful is because he is White.

The songs Criminal is ultimately about the censorship of his music because it offends White sensibilities.

You can't just isolate music and take it out of its historical context.

Most of MMLP and The Eminem Show is an argument about the value Whiteness and how unrestrained self-expression can be a threat to it.

DMZ

Pro
Daps
Kim is a bit much to take, but I always laugh at the "Kim, why don't you like me?" line...
Kim is WOAT tbh, I never really understood for myself why other people regarded that track so highly

Amityville is trash too, but I think we already knew that upon release

NinoBrown

Veteran
Daps
Really?

I think people need to put Eminem in perspective

MMLP and Eminem Show are about being White in Hip Hop and White America's double standard when it comes to White pain and suffering compared to Blacks

When White people suffer, it's what about the kids and what about the humanity. When Black people suffer it's fukk them they are scum.

So when Em raps about the white trash lifestyle and the impact of the lifestyle...its a problem. But

The songs Who Knew and The Way I Am touch on the double standards of White people...

The song Remember Me touches on the fact that the only reason he is so successful is because he is White.

The songs Criminal is ultimately about the censorship of his music because it offends White sensibilities.

You can't just isolate music and take it out of its historical context.

Most of MMLP and The Eminem Show is an argument about the value Whiteness and how unrestrained self-expression can be a threat to it.

"I don't do black music, I don't do white music, I do fight music for High School kids" - Em

Em on MMLP represented the rebellious nature of White American teens at the time. Even though he loathed Limp Bizkit, Aguilera, Britney, Nysnc, BSB, he was lumped in there as the hip white performers (who were culture vultures anyway).

Most of the white boys I knew never fukked with Hip Hop at all until Eminem came along and they often deemed him better than Pac, Big, and Pun at the time.

Back to the point, from a creative standpoint, it's shock rap and terribly corny then and unlistenable now. Dissing Fred Durst and N'Sync makes them a tough guy while he dodged Canibus his entire career?

The only points I give him are tying Kim to SSLP, Stan, and Remember Me...