The Marshall Mathers LP was 1 of the most popular albums in the 2000s, is it a top 25 Hip Hop album?

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Really?

I think people need to put Eminem in perspective

MMLP and Eminem Show are about being White in Hip Hop and White America's double standard when it comes to White pain and suffering compared to Blacks

When White people suffer, it's what about the kids and what about the humanity. When Black people suffer it's fukk them they are scum.

So when Em raps about the white trash lifestyle and the impact of the lifestyle...its a problem. But

The songs Who Knew and The Way I Am touch on the double standards of White people...

The song Remember Me touches on the fact that the only reason he is so successful is because he is White.

The songs Criminal is ultimately about the censorship of his music because it offends White sensibilities.

You can't just isolate music and take it out of its historical context.

Most of MMLP and The Eminem Show is an argument about the value Whiteness and how unrestrained self-expression can be a threat to it.

You remove the context any comparisons you try to make become arbitrary.

TES was another album where context was important given his legal shyt and his revaltions about the label and what being that famous actually meant for him.

Last edited:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Kim is WOAT tbh, I never really understood for myself why other people regarded that track so highly

Amityville is trash too, but I think we already knew that upon release

Kim is cinematic, more of a movie than it is a song. Seems like some people disregard context/intent and jump straight to whether something is a 'bop' or not.

And Amityville is probably the song I listen to the most from MMLP because his 2nd verse is fukking insane and probably one of my top 20 verses that I could think of off the top of my head.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
It’s s time period capsule. too much so actually.

Death Certificate by Ice Cube came out in 1991 and even if the production sounds dated there’s still high replay based on the contents relevance.

Some of his finest moments as an emcee happened on the album “the way I am” “Stan” “criminal” but the material on the album as a whole isn’t aging well considering he was all about “what’s the wildest shyt I can possibly say” and the world is the opposite of that now since everyone is offended easy which is weird since folks elected . .. nevermind.

today’s climate would get him mauled on social meds etc if he presented that album as is with modern references.

It’s one of those “you had to be there” albums if you’re under like 30 imo. I can still listen and enjoy because I remember the time, I can see why a young breh would pick it up and be like WTF

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Kim is a bit much to take, but I always laugh at the "Kim, why don't you like me?" line...

See, KIM is probably my favorite Eminem song ever :yeshrug:

That shyt is just pure emotion on a track, I really can't think of any other song in Hip-Hop that goes that hard in the context of girlfriends - whereas we know for a fact a lot of these rappers have been caught in their feelings, and for most of them we even know which women got them there. The usual rapper response is to become a superpimp and play it off like no woman can get to you. Eminem took the honest approach, which is that shyt hurts and hurt inspires some :demonic: ass thoughts because we're all a bunch of animals deep down at the end of the day.

I thought that shyt was genius and executed perfectly, from the beat to the lyrics to the flow etc.

And it's a song I've listened to maybe 10 times in my life because it's designed in a way that you CAN'T just bump it in the whip or at a party or whatever. I remember vividly that the first time I bumped this album I was with my older brother, and when it got to Kim we were both just :ohhh::picard::merchant: and we didn't even talk about that shyt after when we discussed the album. And I know for a fact that nicca played the fukk out of this song after one of his breakups :pachaha:I was like 14 years old at the time so I just thought it was 'cool', but I appreciate this song more and more - especially now that I'm married :mjlol:

Love my wife :whoa:

but sometimes I hate that bytch :demonic:

AlainLocke

Banned
Daps
"I don't do black music, I don't do white music, I do fight music for High School kids" - Em

Em on MMLP represented the rebellious nature of White American teens at the time. Even though he loathed Limp Bizkit, Aguilera, Britney, Nysnc, BSB, he was lumped in there as the hip white performers (who were culture vultures anyway).

Most of the white boys I knew never fukked with Hip Hop at all until Eminem came along and they often deemed him better than Pac, Big, and Pun at the time.

Back to the point, from a creative standpoint, it's shock rap and terribly corny then and unlistenable now. Dissing Fred Durst and N'Sync makes them a tough guy while he dodged Canibus his entire career?

The only points I give him are tying Kim to SSLP, Stan, and Remember Me...

MMLP was hardly shock rap and it wasn't for rebellious White kids...

There is are only two shock rap songs on there and that's Kill You and Amityville.

And like I said most people that wanna dismiss Em's run try to take him out of his historical context.

So ima explain.

Em came out in between the prime of South Park, GTA and Marylin Mason. All that disturbed White America and was even blamed for violence.

You had the Jerry Springer, a show that exploited abd exposed the lives of the average White Person.

Marylin Manson and Eminem were public enemy number one for White people because they both mocked and exposes White fragility.

Eminem and Marylin Manson were having senate hearing about them.They were being protested.

School shootings, 9/11...White people weren't doing too good, their world was crumbling.

Eminem didn't make music for White kids lol. He ended up making music for their parents, mocking them and chastising them for their obliviousness and ultimately their Whiteness.

He didn't even know that's he would be famous and successful. And when he did, he said it's because he's White, due to White America's fascination of him...and their disdain of him and why he the way he is. Then he says you made me this way.

White people retroactively champion Eminem. They weren't loving him like that.

Eminem is an artist like Tupac, Kanye West, Marylin Manson and Bob Dylan...

You can't take them out of their time period and then judge their music as just music. They make context specific projects. They make projects as reactions to current events. Their music is time stamped. Some artists go out their way to make their music timeless and some artist want to make their music to address an issue.

Eminem's issue from MMLP and Eminem Show was censorship and the Veil of Whiteness.

You can't just say about Tupac...

"Oh it's just basic ass gangster rapper that could barely rhyme.."

Or about Kanye...

"This dude is wanna be Tribe Called Quest turned into a megalomaniac bling rapper"

Or about Bob Dylan...

"He just a some non singing aas cac, singing shytty ass folk songs..."

You need to look at their life and era.

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
It’s s time period capsule. too much so actually.

Death Certificate by Ice Cube came out in 1991 and even if the production sounds dated there’s still high replay based on the contents relevance.

Some of his finest moments as an emcee happened on the album “the way I am” “Stan” “criminal” but the material on the album as a whole isn’t aging well considering he was all about “what’s the wildest shyt I can possibly say” and the world is the opposite of that now since everyone is offended easy which is weird since folks elected . .. nevermind.

today’s climate would get him mauled on social meds etc if he presented that album as is with modern references.

It’s one of those “you had to be there” albums if you’re under like 30 imo. I can still listen and enjoy because I remember the time, I can see why a young breh would pick it up and be like WTF

Great post, yup.

Redwing80

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Only album I like from Eminem. I'd call it a classic but top 25? Don't think so

ZEB WALTON

ayo! - BEZ
Daps
Reppin
No Father To MY Style.. A Son Unique
:rudy: Yeah, if only Cage and Necro got a bigger push:camby:
:stopitslime:

Cage >>>>> all white rappers.

Em. Rugged man. Necro. Paz. All of em.

I respect necro for his grind and beats. Dude does it all himself with the whole world shyttin on him and yet still respected by the legends.

Would love for em cage and necro to drop the beef between each other and get cage vs em on a necro track.

Reading necros interviews he tried to fukk qith em, even gave him the famous non ohixion black helicopters beat in person but dude wasnt tryna put on another white rapper.

Cage leaving necro for mighty mi is one of the biggest travesties in UG hip hop history.

Poetical Poltergeist

Precise and cold hearted
Daps
Reppin
Mile in the Sky
:stopitslime:

Cage >>>>> all white rappers.

Em. Rugged man. Necro. Paz. All of em.

I respect necro for his grind and beats. Dude does it all himself with the whole world shyttin on him and yet still respected by the legends.

Would love for em cage and necro to drop the beef between each other and get cage vs em on a necro track.

Reading necros interviews he tried to fukk qith em, even gave him the famous non ohixion black helicopters beat in person but dude wasnt tryna put on another white rapper.

Cage leaving necro for mighty mi is one of the biggest travesties in UG hip hop history.
Well cage looks like he's neutered now and em is at his worst so A joint together now would be laughable.