The Lo Lifes: HOW A NYC GANG TOOK RALPH LAUREN FROM COUNTRY CLUB UNIFORM TO STREETWEAR STAPLE

ReturnOfJudah

Veteran
Daps
that's what i'm saying,polo been a southern staple. besides that nobody down here in texas had heard of any lo-lifes until the internet. maybe they were influential on the east coast, but that's about it.
Man you cant tell NY nikkas shyt. They live in their own lil bubble and think we sit around see what they are doing. We do us down here. Thats why rappers from the south and west coast said “fukk ny”. We supported their movements, only to get a snob look in return. Let them tell it we down here sport buddy lee jeans, a cowboy hat, barefooted, and broke. nikkas getting money down here and been fly & been sporting polo since forever along with the other branda i mentioned (lacoste & letigre when they was popping)

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
i grew up in the 80's and came into manhood in the 90's.

polo was common. creased jeans, polo shirt and some j's or kswiss back when those were still in style here.

polo, tommy, guess, girbraud, that's basically what it was coming up. and dikkies. j's, kswiss, cole haans, polo boots.
My brother was called the polo king of East flatbush he was born in the 70's and raised in the 80's. He was rocking polo as a yuth. I've never seen him in two tones. I'm tryna figure what you were talking about.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
My brother was called the polo king of East flatbush he was born in the 70's and raised in the 80's. He was rocking polo as a yuth. I've never seen him in two tones. I'm tryna figure what you were talking about.

i used to go to my grandparents out in country in SC growing up, and my cousins from brooklyn would come down at the same time. in the 80's my cousins used to brag about how many pairs of different color lee jeans they had. they were particularly proud of the two-tones. tried to find a good pic but said fukk it

In The 80s - Clothes of the Eighties, Two-Tone Jeans

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
i used to go to my grandparents out in country in SC growing up, and my cousins from brooklyn would come down at the same time. in the 80's my cousins used to brag about how many pairs of different color lee jeans they had. they were particularly proud of the two-tones. tried to find a good pic but said fukk it

In The 80s - Clothes of the Eighties, Two-Tone Jeans
My brothers didn't rock these. They stayed in east flatbush and crown heights respectively. My pop used to like to take pics and I've never seen any photos with any thing two tone. what part of brooklyn were they from and who did they run with . My big brothers were Decept if that rings a bell.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
My brothers didn't rock these. They stayed in east flatbush and crown heights respectively. My pop used to like to take pics and I've never seen any photos with any thing two tone. what part of brooklyn were they from and who did they run with . My big brothers were Decept if that rings a bell.

I've heard of em. But my pops is from NJ so i been traveling up there visiting fam for over 30 years. Couldn't tell you what parts of Brooklyn they stayed in back then. All i knew is we were going to see family in "Brooklyn."

As far as your brothers, I don't doubt you, but I wouldn't lie either. I'm talking the summer of 86, maybe 87.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
I've heard of em. But my pops is from NJ so i been traveling up there visiting fam for over 30 years. Couldn't tell you what parts of Brooklyn they stayed in back then. All i knew is we were going to see family in "Brooklyn."

As far as your brothers, I don't doubt you, but I wouldn't lie either. I'm talking the summer of 86, maybe 87.
Ok so when I was born. Yeah they were buying their own stuff and was wearing Tommy if I remember the pics. I believe you, just saying it wasn't like that all over.

Daps
This is silly

NY didn’t discover Polo by any means...but to say these other places especially in those times went as crazy as nikkax did for The Lo would just be false. Polo and these guys are rereleasing stuff from 92 like PWing was an homage to the particular demo that made it pop in the first place...Brooklyn boys

Ineedmoney504

SOHH ICEY...WE EATIN
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY N.O.
People down here was wearing polo since I can remember but it wasn’t to this level. And even in its hey day down here nobody rocked it rocked the point like draws and all that just to match.

That video was dope as shyt tho, I love the moves they was making, wish they coulda into they own brands tho. Woulda been dope, love how they was stealing all this shyt :dead:

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
The cities that say they started everything NYC, Oakland, DC.

I personally though Polo was big in the south particularly Atlanta and Miami before anywhere else.

BlackPrint

The Mayor
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Southern nikkas was not wearing vintage Lo like that. You nikkas was wearing the collared shirts and polos you find in TJ Max and Marshalls :mjlol: stop it. That’s basic Polo, we talking about different things
Snapple facts.

And mad of them nikkas was wearing polos by COOGI and Blac Label heavy. You be thinking that shyt a overseas polo till you see the fat ass BLPP on the back :hhh:

Any nikka that says Brooklyn and Harlem didn’t single handedly popularize Ralph Lauren in the urban sphere is a god damn lie.