The Lo Lifes: HOW A NYC GANG TOOK RALPH LAUREN FROM COUNTRY CLUB UNIFORM TO STREETWEAR STAPLE

UberEatsDriver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn keeps on taking it.
In Atlanta , early to mid 80s, some dudes were wearing Polo and legitimately dressing like a jockey playing Polo. Dallas Austin has spoken on that.

Oh and I gotta drop the obligatory “Stopppp, they’re stealing!”

Did Atlanta have any influence in fashion during the 80s in hip hop? Because that’s what the article is about. Says it clearly in the title.

CoryMack

Superstar
Daps
What does that have to do with the article? The south didn’t make it a trend so why do you feel the need to point this out?

The article literally explains how the brand went from rich/white to urban youth hands to hip hop.

I don’t know anybody who has rocked polo with the south in their minds.

And I don’t know anyone who wore polo because of what some nikkas up in NY were doing. Maybe them dudes made it a trend for y’all on the east coast but not for anyone down here, because we’d never heard of any lo-lifes. And neither had the rest of the world.

That article, like so many of you, mistake what’s happening in New York for the rest of the entire world. Them dudes made it fashionable for y’all.

KodeBlue

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
@KodeBlue RL was born and made in the Bronx and was originally made for wealthy white folks.

The article pretty much explains how it started being a trend in urban neighborhoods.

How would a brand like that be noticed by inner city black kids all the way in Atlanta and Miami?

:stopitslime:

Especially hot ass Miami.

I don't have a dog in the fight :hubie:

I don't care about Polo or where it came from .

Daps
Not anymore, the market is done and rl corp killed it with releasing everything in trash quality. Also try to cash in amateurish on the streetwear/hypebeast/hipster route is the final blow for rl, i‘ll give the company 5 years max before they go bankrupt

Once they brought back all the old stuff like Snow Beach, remixing shyt like the suicide ski jackets and doing a terrible collab with Palace I felt like it was a wrap

Daps
Was just in Times Square and I think they were having a meetup by mCdonalds...Don’t know if they were Lo or not

Go figure

Black Steph Curry

Lines are being drawn in the sand.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville, AL
:laff::laff::deadmanny: the latest in Sharecropper Chic as brought to you by Down on the Farm Design. They originally called it "Fat Farm" until Russell Simmons sued their copyright infringing country asses.

They also suggest you wear with no shirt underneath . And it comes in red or yellow for those nights on the town- you can go directly from the farm to the club .
:ld:
Ain't you Dominican?

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
I ain't ask about yo race, i asked about yo ethnicity. You weren't worried about race in tht cornball post of yours i quoted. Keep that same energy.
Dominican and black yes. Dominican father / mother is aa. Again,what do you want ? I live in the estados unidos from nueva york, whats your point? What's the problem??.
U from the cornfed country ??? Don't get an attitude with me bc y'all have no style or fashion innovation.

Black Steph Curry

Lines are being drawn in the sand.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville, AL
Dominican and black yes. Dominican father / mother is aa. Again,what do you want ? I live in the estados unidos from nueva york, whats your point? What's the problem??.
U from the cornfed country ??? Don't get an attitude with me bc y'all have no style or fashion innovation.
1. Tha average "cornfed country" breh has better fashion sense than any native Dominican off rip so that's not even a conversation to be had.

2. Y'all hang y'all hat on fashion sense when that only came from being in close proximity to flamboyant euro cacs that don't even respect black people:pumppls: anybody coulda did what yall did simply being around high fashion cacs. Hell gucci mane's grandfather from Birmingham AL (tha original gucci man) got fresh by simply being exposed to Italian boutiques during his tour in wwii (that's how he got his nickname) so that's nothing.

Meanwhile 'corn fed country' brehs were busy CREATING and INNOVATING under tha most oppressive of circumstances. For example tha ENTIRE FOUNDATION OF HIPHOP. Before breakbeats there was Clyde Stubblefield, from Chattanooga Tennessee. Tha world heard Muhammad Ali rap to reporters before fights before any hip hop pioneer. Ask tha James Brown estate how them royalty checks are coming along from sample clearance.

3. How can any non aa black person shyt on us when it was our sacrifices that paved tha way for yall to live comfortably here? Shows a gross lack of awareness if you ask me. You never hear a peep about non aa new yorkers talking down on their home country but when it comes to us we're rodney dangerfield status no respect.:unclecliff: that's fufu shyt.

Box Factory

hater
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
:laff::laff::deadmanny: the latest in Sharecropper Chic as brought to you by Down on the Farm Design. They originally called it "Fat Farm" until Russell Simmons sued their copyright infringing country asses.

They also suggest you wear with no shirt underneath . And it comes in red or yellow for those nights on the town- you can go directly from the farm to the club .
:ld:

Yo wtf is this?

We really just letting these agents run around insulting sharecroppers and the horrific history these ppl faced?

Mods get rid of this agent :camby:

Box Factory

hater
Daps
Reppin
#byrdgang
1. Tha average "cornfed country" breh has better fashion sense than any native Dominican off rip so that's not even a conversation to be had.

2. Y'all hang y'all hat on fashion sense when that only came from being in close proximity to flamboyant euro cacs that don't even respect black people:pumppls: anybody coulda did what yall did simply being around high fashion cacs. Hell gucci mane's grandfather from Birmingham AL (tha original gucci man) got fresh by simply being exposed to Italian boutiques during his tour in wwii (that's how he got his nickname) so that's nothing.

Meanwhile 'corn fed country' brehs were busy CREATING and INNOVATING under tha most oppressive of circumstances. For example tha ENTIRE FOUNDATION OF HIPHOP. Before breakbeats there was Clyde Stubblefield, from Chattanooga Tennessee. Tha world heard Muhammad Ali rap to reporters before fights before any hip hop pioneer. Ask tha James Brown estate how them royalty checks are coming along from sample clearance.

3. How can any non aa black person shyt on us when it was our sacrifices that paved tha way for yall to live comfortably here? Shows a gross lack of awareness if you ask me. You never hear a peep about non aa new yorkers talking down on their home country but when it comes to us we're rodney dangerfield status no respect.:unclecliff: that's fufu shyt.
It's disgusting how she talks about sharecroppers and southern black Americans

Ppl that literally fought for generations to give her Latin Carribean family the chance to move to America and enjoy a better life

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
And I don’t know anyone who wore polo because of what some nikkas up in NY were doing. Maybe them dudes made it a trend for y’all on the east coast but not for anyone down here, because we’d never heard of any lo-lifes. And neither had the rest of the world.

That article, like so many of you, mistake what’s happening in New York for the rest of the entire world. Them dudes made it fashionable for y’all.
Polo is NY shyt

Ralph Lauren is literally an old Jew from the Bronx