The Lighthouse - Robert Eggers (The Witch) with Williem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
That was.... very interesting. Much like 'The Witch', I wish I'd seen it with subtitles because the accents were so thick. Still, was able to follow most of the dialogue and I'm still not sure how unreliable Tommy's POV was.
Did Thomas even exist at all? And if he did, what parts were all in Tommy's head? At first I thought Thomas was trying to gaslight Tommy but I started to suspect that maybe it was mostly in Tommy's head. Regardless, that ending was brutal, from the beating to burying dude alive and the axe to the face. But being eaten by the gulls is one of the horrific ways to die I can imagine.

So was it an allegory, like Moby dikk?. Or just a straightforward story about madness?

I think I'll give this a 8.5 for really compelling performances and imagery. Cinematography was on point. It's a gorgeous looking film, just wish I could have understood the dialogue better.

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
That was.... very interesting. Much like 'The Witch', I wish I'd seen it with subtitles because the accents were so thick. Still, was able to follow most of the dialogue and I'm still not sure how unreliable Tommy's POV was.
Did Thomas even exist at all? And if he did, what parts were all in Tommy's head? At first I thought Thomas was trying to gaslight Tommy but I started to suspect that maybe it was mostly in Tommy's head. Regardless, that ending was brutal, from the beating to burying dude alive and the axe to the face. But being eaten by the gulls is one of the horrific ways to die I can imagine.

So was it an allegory, like Moby dikk?. Or just a straightforward story about madness?

I think I'll give this a 8.5 for really compelling performances and imagery. Cinematography was on point. It's a gorgeous looking film, just wish I could have understood the dialogue better.

The dialogue in this was way easier to follow than in The Witch. :whew:

Thomas definitely existed. I don't think he was trying to gaslight Tommy at first, towards the end yeah. Because Tommy realized dude was really fukking crazy. shyt both of them were crazy, we just got to see Tommy's descent. Thomas was definitely crazy way before they got to the island. So I don't think all the weird shyt Tommy saw Thomas doing at the lighthouse was in Tommy's head.

Tommy was being ate up by the guilt from the death of the guy whose identity he jacked. He saw/dreamed those logs before they had even been there for what a week? Combine that guilt with being out in the middle of the ocean with some old man whose keeping shyt from you... yeah

I'm not sure about the seagulls or the head he found though. And yeah that was a pretty terrible way to go...I actually winced at that

Think I might buy the poster for this flick too :wow:

bl2k8

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Northern California
This was one of the weirdest movies I've seen this year. It's definitely not for everybody, so don't anyone that doesn't like arthouse shyt. The dialogue is a little hard to understand at times too.

Otherwise, it was a meticulously crafted film. All the technical stuff was absolutely flawless, and Pattinson and Dafoe were excellent. I definitely recommend seeing it.
Sounds like another midsommar:francis:

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
Thomas definitely existed. I don't think he was trying to gaslight Tommy at first, towards the end yeah. Because Tommy realized dude was really fukking crazy. shyt both of them were crazy, we just got to see Tommy's descent. Thomas was definitely crazy way before they got to the island. So I don't think all the weird shyt Tommy saw Thomas doing at the lighthouse was in Tommy's head.

Tommy was being ate up by the guilt from the death of the guy whose identity he jacked. He saw/dreamed those logs before they had even been there for what a week? Combine that guilt with being out in the middle of the ocean with some old man whose keeping shyt from you... yeah

If the head was real, doesn't that imply that Thomas killed the guy before Tommy? Or did they have a conversation about that and I missed it because I couldn't understand what the fukk they were saying? :pachaha:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
If the head was real, doesn't that imply that Thomas killed the guy before Tommy? Or did they have a conversation about that and I missed it because I couldn't understand what the fukk they were saying? :pachaha:

Yeah it does. Because soon after he found the head, Tommy called Thomas out about killing the last guy he worked with. I forget if he called him out before or after the big wave hit the house though

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I think I am more impressed with this movie, than I actually enjoyed watching it, for significant amounts of the running time. The direction, the shots of the frigid water, and consuming fog, the sound of that lighthouse, the setting in all it's bleakness, the rawness of nature's most desolate spots, was masterful. Both performances are actors at the top of their craft, even if Patterson's slips in the last act, which is probably more of a script overreach. The whole thing gets a little shaky in the third act, and comes close to the "parody", that Patterson describes Dafoe as, in a bizarre moment. The themes are deep, and obvious, strewn all over the movie, like the seaweed across the rocks, and I won't even get into it, but prefer to take the more topical approach to the movie.

The moments that inspired the most dread, awe, disgust, horror, or apprehension were the final scenes with the "dog", the moments when the characters became merged with the sea in a twisted outbreak of barnacles and tentacles, that was just perfectly grotesque. The last moment of staring at the light. Some of the plot is a little muddled, and wears thin, in the final act, and I didn't care much about either, or the motivations, it worked best to me as spectacle of madness and style. Eggers has a brilliant eye for imagery, and setting, and moments of sheer, blood curdling horror, if sometimes the material went over the top, or didn't land correctly.

For those who loved this, it reminded me of a movie (and countless others are probably part of the inspiration) called The Light at the Edge of the World, from 1971, about two lightkeepers and a massacre by pirates.

Cartier Murphy

Apathy’s a Tragedy & Boredom is a Crime
Daps
I caught Parasite last night, and now this tonight :obama:
Had to catch a bootleg recording of it but aye, any port in a storm right? :manny:
I don’t know how I feel about it fully and probably won’t until I get a better quality version for rewatch, but I was kinda blown away by it. Weird, unsettling, haunting, strangely funny at times, but definitely memorable.