The "let's not take this shyt so seriously" AEW news & fukkery thread

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Also one thing about AEW attendance, it seems in general they pick up tickets last minute

People really do wait on those deals.....dont get me wrong its still not a packed house unless they do those smaller venues but in general all shows they do seem to pick up a surge at the last minute

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Sounds like Starks told Tony hes planning to leave and gave advanced notice and TK just iced him instead of maybe booking him with a chance to put people over on the way out?

If that's what happened, it's doing Starks a favor. Better for Starks to show up fresh in NXT than 2 weeks after putting over Komander. Either way, internet fans will complain because that's what they do but I don't see the point in jobbing Starks out a bunch.

Mook

We should all strive to be like Mr. Rogers.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Raleigh
I like garcia and appreciate him trying so hard but God damn he has no charisma.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
If that's what happened, it's doing Starks a favor. Better for Starks to show up fresh in NXT than 2 weeks after putting over Komander. Either way, internet fans will complain because that's what they do but I don't see the point in jobbing Starks out a bunch.

Exactly instead of cooling him off, he comes into NXT as a hot free agent with some anticipation on him (or even main roster depending on Cody's word, but honestly I think he'd be good for NXT especially with the network move)

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Also one thing about AEW attendance, it seems in general they pick up tickets last minute

People really do wait on those deals.....dont get me wrong its still not a packed house unless they do those smaller venues but in general all shows they do seem to pick up a surge at the last minute
I think that's any event that doesn't sell out in advance tbh. The fact is that the last week surge ranges from 500 to 1.2k tickets sold approx but it was one thing when they jumped from 4k to 5k, then from 3k to 4k, and now they are going from 1k (or less) to 2-3k.

The interest is clearly not there and that's with them having a much stronger flagship show than last year's.

They need to have consistent weekly television to get back to where they were
They've had a very good 2 month run with Dynamite but ticket sales have gone even lower than before. It's gonna be a very hard battle for them to turn things around when it comes to attendance. Maintaining a good TV product with a below average booker (TK) is very tough and they basically gonna need 12-18 months of it while they hope and pray that WWE's hot run finally begins to wane.

To be honest, even though I truly want them too keep a strong TV product regardless of ticket sales and I want TK to really focus on it like has done in the last couple of months, the fact is that their TV attendance relies heavily on WWE messing up and/or getting colder.

Like @Cattle Mutilation said, they are very lucky the wrestling business model has shifted from ticket sales to selling their content to TV and other avenues.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

They don’t slash ticket prices last minute anymore.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
They've had a very good 2 month run with Dynamite but ticket sales have gone even lower than before. It's gonna be a very hard battle for them to turn things around when it comes to attendance. Maintaining a good TV product with a below average booker (TK) is very tough and they basically gonna need 12-18 months of it while they hope and pray that WWE's hot run finally begins to wane.

Tony dug his own hole by treating 'Dynamite' like it was a Saturday Morning Superstars taping. He kept protecting people and putting on extended squash level matches and got away from what was working before. When they had less PPVs they had more marquee matches on the TV shows and they ran 'Dynamite' more like a Crash TV style of program with good matches. They got away from that formula. The worst thing a TV show can be is boring.

I agree that the shows have been better this year but like you said it would take a lot more than a couple of months to see ticket sales turn around. People are now conditioned that 'Dynamite' doesn't really matter as much. It used to feel like an event every week. I think WWE being hot has something to do with it as well but a lot of the blame is still on TK.

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps

To be honest, even though I truly want them too keep a strong TV product regardless of ticket sales and I want TK to really focus on it like has done in the last couple of months, the fact is that their TV attendance relies heavily on WWE messing up and/or getting colder.

People who think they know everything kept telling me they got to book better if they want things to improve and dismissed my whole claim that there isn’t much they can do until WWE cools off.

Well they are booking better than they were for most of the last half of 2023 and have been for months now. That’s not to say everything they do is good by any means (looking at you Jericho and The Elite). But ain’t shyt changed even with the extended run of better booking.

People just wanted a better WWE and they only abandoned it because it had gotten THAT bad. When they got what they wanted, they went right back to it. That’s the power of brand name recognition and brand loyalty.

That’s what happens when one company has a virtual monopoly for 20 years. Everyone but 35+-year-olds grew up in an era where either no real competition existed for WWE or they are barely old enough to possibly even remember WCW in its good days.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
People who think they know everything kept telling me they got to book better if they want things to improve and dismissed my whole claim that there isn’t much they can do until WWE cools off.

Well they are booking better than they were for most of the last half of 2023 and have been for months now. That’s not to say everything they do is good by any means (looking at you Jericho and The Elite). But ain’t shyt changed even with the extended run of better booking.

People just wanted a better WWE and they only abandoned it because it had gotten THAT bad. When they got what they wanted they went right back to it. That the power of brand name recognition and brand loyalty.

That’s what happens when one company has a virtual monopoly for 20 years. Everyone but 35+-year-olds grew up in an era where either no real competition existed for WWE or they are barely old enough to possibly even remember WCW in its good days.

I agree with much of this but a couple months of solid booking is still not enough. Anytime a wrestling company sees a big turn around in ticket sales it's because of the foundation that was laid 12 months+ before it.. Look at WWE recently. The Bloodline Saga is credited for turning the business around but it didn't happen overnight or even after a few months. It took a very long time for it to catch on and for us to see these huge spike in ticket sales.

The same thing happened during The Attitude Era. 1997 was actually the best year they had booking wise and character development wise but the business didn't even start to reach its peak until 1999 with their most profitable year being the year 2000.

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Things go hand in hand though. If WWE cools off but Dynamite is a boring/uneventful TV show fans wont flock back to AEW just because.

That's why it's hard, they need to keep things steady and compelling so when the opportunity arrives, they can take advantage of it.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado

883399cf510de2b99acf5b9574d5b85c.gif

Cattle Mutilation

Superstar
Daps
WWE is in a position where everyone that’s a casual or doesn’t even follow wrestling just use the terms “wrestling” and “WWE” interchangeably thanks to a 20-year monopoly and making their name during the height of wrestling’s appeal in pop culture.

In that respect, they are to wrestling what Google is to search engines, Chapstick to lip balm, Kleenex to tissues, Coke to soda, etc.

People aren’t going to leave the industry leader or their favored brand without that brand giving them a very good reason to AND an alternative brand that can quickly step up to the plate to give them what they want.

In a hypothetical situation, AEW could be subjectively by far the best damn wrestling product that ever existed, but if people that are loyal to WWE are happy with what they are getting out of WWE, then they are going to stick with WWE being their priority watch.

Maybe some of them start watching AEW, but after watching 5-7 hours of WWE, chances are most aren’t going to dedicate another 2-5 hours watching AEW too given all the other things trying to grab our eyes these days

If WWE goes cold and AEW also Isn’t offering an entertainment product, then fans aren’t going to flock to AEW either. They’ll either wait for WWE to get good again or just not watch at all.

The reason AEW was able to succeed when they did is they came in at the perfect time. WWE was the drizzling shyts and was actively giving people a reason not to watch. AEW came in with a high quality product (though admittedly mostly due to being in comparison to an all-time bad WWE) and was giving people a reason to watch.

That’s the sweet spot for an industry with some very significant barriers to entry and growth. If AEW tried to start up now it would be dead on arrival. Hell, if AEW had even waited as much as a year they would have been dead on arrival despite WWE still having not entered a boom period because they would have been trying to start in a pandemic

• Dap
Reactions: 907

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
The ticket price thing seems so obvious to me... there were a load of cheap All In seats moved late, but they want pretty much the same money as WWE for ringside/hard cam seats and that's not how you act like a challenger/punk/alternative brand to me.

It's always been the case that you can go and see Common Sense for less money than Jay-Z.

It doesn't mean you're getting worse music or even a worse show, it's just a reflection of the fame and demand for tickets for each artist in any given city... likelihood is seeing smaller acts you'll get a more intimate venue AND that little buzz that you're getting to see something the masses are missing out on.

I don't get why they don't just run with the same model - set ticket prices at 60-70% of WWE and book venues that you have a chance of filling to minimise costs. Make a big deal out of the fact fans are getting to see something that not everyone knows about rather than have it feel that it's something people don't care about.

It's not rocket science... music has been making it work for nearly a century.