The "let's not take this shyt so seriously" AEW news & fukkery thread

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Maybe Bryan will announce that he will retire when he drops the title..

Imagine if this be BD whenever someone tries to retire him while holding the title:

call-an-ambulance.gif

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Maybe Bryan will announce that he will retire when he drops the title..
I think it would be dumb to talk about retirement because we all know he ain't fully retiring anyways (he'll be back eventually somewhere) but he'll probably say he'll be done as a full time performer -whatever that means in AEW- and that he'll fight for the title as long as he can or some shyt like that.

I also think TK would be OK with Bryan leaving the title vacant but I'd have a hard time seeing Dragon not wanting to give back to Swerve or someone else by letting someone beat him for it.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not only a Tokyo Dome show, it's the day after Wrestle Kingdom so they are asking Japanese fans that currently barely give a single a fukk about New Japan to buy another ticket for a promotion they barely even know :dead:

I've said it a couple of times now but they better have Okada and Omega front and center of that show because that's the only way they get a number that's not embarrassing :dead:

Breh, New Japan can't get 20k paid in the Tokyo Dome for their 1/4 show that is a 3 decade tradition. Japanese business is in the complete toilet after the pandemic. NJPW was like an oasis of good business for close during the 2010s (with DDT and Dragon Gate having a couple of good runs during the decade) but that shyt crashed in 2020 and it has not been able to recover, for a number of different reasons.

The one thing AEW has in their advantage is that they have Okada and Omega, but even still, Okada hasn't been out for that long so who knows if he can indeed make a difference by returning so soon (less than a year). A back to back Dome show in Japan is a very hard sell because Japanese fans are very picky when it comes to wrestling shows.

50k stadium is a massive undertaking imo. If they get 25k paid it would surpass my expectations :ehh:

What were the golden years for the Japanese promotions?

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
What were the golden years for the Japanese promotions?
From accounts of fans that live/have lived in Japan, the 80's were the peak of mainstream popularity -at least in more modern times- due to the success and timeslots on TV. Which lead to All Japan, New Japan, UWF and AJW having different hot (and very hot) runs.

From a attendance and business perspective, the 90's were a juggernaut of big shows in Dome/Stadiums and arenas that were sold out every week from a dozen of different promotions.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA

CCrazy how far Swerve has come especially starting out on Rampage. Things would be much different now if that were to happen. Imagine Ricochet being on Rampage his first month or month and a half.

True about the opportunity thing & taking advantage of it. Not everyone gets that shot. You can get booked to lose a match but how you perform is up to you. Those grinding on Rampage or ROH or the indies even, could be the next main event stars on Dynamite or the PPVs.

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
  • July 20, 2024: 472,000 viewers
  • July 27, 2024: 382,000 viewers
  • August 3, 2024: 189,000 viewers (Aired at 5 p.m. ET)
  • August 10, 2024: 370,000 viewers
  • August 17, 2024: 406,000 viewers
  • August 24, 2024: 442,000 viewers

Being the go home show might've had some effect but who knows. I copied a few weeks further back cuz that was the last episode that did higher than this past Saturday. Still good to see the numbers trending back up especially since that summerslam preshow episode. Just getting over 445k would be a success next, even better if 450k. Long as they get closer to that 472k. Let's see what they have planned this week. But getting the show back over 450k and keeping it that way consistently would be great for business.