The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps

I like this particular cycle of progression: stroll around on my horse, stumble upon some location of interest, get off, explore it, then whistle and go on to continue the adventure :banderas: feels fluid and organic

Edit: the twilight is so beautiful in these swamps :ohlawd:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
This game was an 8/10

But it’s so easy to turn that into a 10/0 on the next one
I always felt like BOTW was the foundation for what could be the best zelda game, or best adventure game ever. There were design decisions that kept it from being what it could have been, but I respect that they took it in a new direction and I know this was all new for them.

Now it's time to take it to the next level. I dont want weapons breaking like in this game, instead I'd rather see a crafting system, I wanna repair weapons that dull over time. Cooking needs to be vastly improved, mixing different types of spices and ingredients should actually do something.

And bring back traditional dungeons. I'd rather have 10 or so puzzle oriented dungeons with their own theme, that might take a few hours to get through, than 120 basic puzzles that might take 5 minutes to figure out. Should be able to beat them in any order too.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I always felt like BOTW was the foundation for what could be the best zelda game, or best adventure game ever. There were design decisions that kept it from being what it could have been, but I respect that they took it in a new direction and I know this was all new for them.

Now it's time to take it to the next level. I dont want weapons breaking like in this game, instead I'd rather see a crafting system, I wanna repair weapons that dull over time. Cooking needs to be vastly improved, mixing different types of spices and ingredients should actually do something.

And bring back traditional dungeons. I'd rather have 10 or so puzzle oriented dungeons with their own theme, that might take a few hours to get through, than 120 basic puzzles that might take 5 minutes to figure out. Should be able to beat them in any order too.

Having 120 shrines scattered across the land gave you a reason to explore. If there were 10 dungeons, and you knew of their location beforehand, and you beat them all....then what? Their approach with the shrines gave the game some longevity. Many of the shrines were hidden, some required a quest/puzzle just to unlock them. Did you manage to find all 120 shrines 2 years later?

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I dont want weapons breaking like in this game, instead I'd rather see a crafting system, I wanna repair weapons that dull over time.

Agreed.

Cooking needs to be vastly improved, mixing different types of spices and ingredients should actually do something.

:dwillhuh: Cooking does something now. I would like to have more than one buff at a time though.

:ld: I like traditional dungeons, but the shrines are dope too. I'd leave it the way it is. Maybe make them harder though.

Last edited:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Having 120 shrines scattered across the land gave you a reason to explore. If there were 10 dungeons, and you knew of their location beforehand, and you beat them all....then what? Their approach with the shrines gave the game some longevity. Many of the shrines were hidden, some required a quest/puzzle just to unlock them. Did you manage to find all 120 shrines 2 years later?
I found all 120 of them, they got old fast. They all look exactly the same, and I can count on one hand how many actually made me think for more than 2 minutes to figure out.

Funny you bring up what to do after completing the dungeons, when thats exactly how I felt when i beat the 4 divine beast(which also all looked the same and were shorter than traditional dungeons). Looking for shrines was all there was to do, and that got old due to being so many and all sharing the exact same look. It started feeling like filler after the first 40.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
:dwillhuh: Cooking does something now. I would like to have more than one buff at a time though.
I mean you'll figure out that mixing 5 of the same ingredients will give you a better stat boost than if you take time and think about what ingredients work together. What's the point of mixing stuff like salt and butter into a meal when those ingredients dont give you any significant stat boost.

Cooking should be more complex than that.
:ld: I like traditional dungeons, but the shrines are dope too. I'd leave it the way it is. Maybe make them harder though.

I wouldn't mind having both, but I dont want shrines as a replacement for dungeons. Or at the very least, give the shrines there own theme so it doesn't feel like the same exact location every time.

Last edited:

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I mean you'll figure out that mixing 5 of the same ingredients will give you a better stat boost than if you take time and think about what ingredients work together. What's the point of mixing stuff like salt and butter into a meal when those ingredients dont give you any significant stat boost.

Got it. So you're saying every food item should do something. It never bothered me that salt didn't add anything to a recipe that was giving me a refill and 5 extra hearts, but you're right. Everything should have a point. I pretty much do the same recipes over and over lol, but are there more advanced recipes that require, say, rock salt? If so, that's the point of rock salt- even if it generally does nothing.

I wouldn't mind having both, but I dont want shrines as a replacement for dungeons. Or at the very least, give the shrines there own theme so it doesn't feel like the same exact location every time.

If they made the dungeons larger but kept the count low- and added more specific themes to them so they looked and felt different from each other , then cranked up the difficulty to a third of the shrines I think that could work for everyone.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
@5n0man how do you think rewards (for exploration and tasks) can be improved? Do you think it's necessary?

I feel like exploring in itself is a reward, and that gifts such as weapons, amber, sometimes shrines etc... are the confirmation or validation that what you're doing is valued. Like a nod from the developer to the player, to encourage it to continue to do this action of venturing around, pleasurable in itself.

One of the flaws people find in this game is the perceived unworthiness of rewards for exploring. Obviously I couldn't disagree more, as I explicited above. What do yall think about it?

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
@5n0man how do you think rewards (for exploration and tasks) can be improved? Do you think it's necessary?

I feel like exploring in itself is a reward, and that gifts such as weapons, amber, sometimes shrines etc... are the confirmation or validation that what you're doing is valued. Like a nod from the developer to the player, to encourage it to continue to do this action of venturing around, pleasurable in itself.

One of the flaws people find in this game is the perceived unworthiness of rewards for exploring. Obviously I couldn't disagree more, as I explicited above. What do yall think about it?
I think they should do away with the current weapon durability system, but keep all the different types of weapons and make even more weapons.

But you shouldn't be able to find unique weapons just laying around, they should be rewards for completing task. For example you can have the flame sword as a reward for completing the fire dungeon, and that's the only way to obtain that sword.

You can have different materials be used to repair whatever items you find so nothing ever breaks permanently. That would make the different items and weapons you find feel more special, and they can serve as a proper reward for completing task.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I think they should do away with the current weapon durability system, but keep all the different types of weapons and make even more weapons.

But you shouldn't be able to find unique weapons just laying around, they should be rewards for completing task. For example you can have the flame sword as a reward for completing the fire dungeon, and that's the only way to obtain that sword.

You can have different materials be used to repair whatever items you find so nothing ever breaks permanently. That would make the different items and weapons you find feel more special, and they can serve as a proper reward for completing task.
I like the idea, because it would for sure give more value to the weapons collected.
They would need to find a balance in the number of repairing materials you can find though, or else it would just be like having permanent weapons and lessen the incentive to diversify the fighting style.

Parenthesis:
This dude says in this video that it really feels like there was supposed to be a craft system but they didn't have time to implement it completely, and I agree with him. I think that could have been a good addition if we just had been able to craft elemental weapons (with minerals such as sapphire for ice) and demonic weapons (rare monster parts with Kilton). But always keeping in mind that it could mess up the balance of the game.

Last edited:

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Reading that the Zelda team has been playing Red Dead Redemption is very worrying. I can't think of any great ideas from that game they should borrow.