The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I wouldnt start over, I'm into Zelda because of my childhood... I'm 32 now and I've been playing the series since it came out
This shyt is skyrim to me but with Link and Zelda ... I remember doing the same shyt on Ocarina of Time when I was a teen.
I would say take it in the small doses, watch weird videos on techniques to get creative. Alot of times me watching people do shyt a completely different way
made me wanna play it. I dont fast travel so I know exactly what I'm going to do when I play it... I'll scan the whole desert and buy what I need, plan where I'm going next and take a break.
Next day I'll walk there, grab new quests and scan the area.... plan for the next town. I'm still jumping to Assassins Creed Odyssey too but I do get that Zelda itch, it does all start clicking at once... you get like 8 things to do at once and its like "Okay now all I can think about is in what order am I gonna do this"

I'm older and I still remember the first time I walked into Toys R Us and got the original. It's been a love story with this franchise ever since. Over 30 years, I've played all of the mainlines on the consoles and a few on handheld. The star of this game is the world itself. More than any other game I can think of, it is about the sense of discovery.

I have been in love with this picture since forever

Zelda-Instruction-Manual.jpg

It was in the instruction manual (remember those) in the NES game. You started on a screen and didn't know where to go. We had to learn Hyrule in that game. Just looking over a vastness that needs to be explored with Death Mountain in the distance.

Fast forward to BOTW.

Breath-of-the-Wild.jpg

Again, Hyrule needing to be explored, omnipresent Death Mountain in the distance but we can explore Hyrule. Every nook and cranny. The story structure could perhaps be stronger but I offer no real complaints. We know the story by now, every 100 years, etc... However, nostalgia is touched on here but even better, it just feels right, everything just feels right. To be able to see clear across the map from high peaks was amazing to do the first few times doing it. The thing is is that this game doesn't hand hold, it's what you make of it. Be the Link that you always wanted to be. The directors of this game basically wanted to do the first Zelda in 3D with this game. They succeeded. That is the essence of Breath of the Wild.

It took 30 years but I got the Hyrule and Zelda game I always wanted

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I'm older and I still remember the first time I walked into Toys R Us and got the original. It's been a love story with this franchise ever since. Over 30 years, I've played all of the mainlines on the consoles and a few on handheld. The star of this game is the world itself. More than any other game I can think of, it is about the sense of discovery.

I have been in love with this picture since forever

Zelda-Instruction-Manual.jpg

It was in the instruction manual (remember those) in the NES game. You started on a screen and didn't know where to go. We had to learn Hyrule in that game. Just looking over a vastness that needs to be explored with Death Mountain in the distance.

Fast forward to BOTW.

Breath-of-the-Wild.jpg

Again, Hyrule needing to be explored, omnipresent Death Mountain in the distance but we can explore Hyrule. Every nook and cranny. The story structure could perhaps be stronger but I offer no real complaints. We know the story by now, every 100 years, etc... However, nostalgia is touched on here but even better, it just feels right, everything just feels right. To be able to see clear across the map from high peaks was amazing to do the first few times doing it. The thing is is that this game doesn't hand hold, it's what you make of it. Be the Link that you always wanted to be. The directors of this game basically wanted to do the first Zelda in 3D with this game. They succeeded. That is the essence of Breath of the Wild.

It took 30 years but I got the Hyrule and Zelda game I always wanted
Great great post. They captured a feeling that I never felt in a video game. The world is an independent entity that you learn to interact with as you play with it. Staring at the immensity is actually a part of the gameplay in a way I can't quite describe accurately yet. What's sure is that verticality and climbing ability play a huge part in what was achieved.

Greenhornet

A God Among Kings
Daps
Reppin
Rochester Ny
Really thinking of getting a Switch, just to play this. Game looks absolutely beautiful and has always been my favorite Nintendo game.

What other games y'all recommend if I cop this?

i grabbed this
mario
mario kart
golf story
mario maker
civilization
donkey kong
mario party

it comes with every single mario once you get online
mario 1,2,3, mario world snes.

more than worth it

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps

This last clip exemplifies one of the ways this game achieves the feeling of freedom and adventure I love.

A recurrent joke-complaint amongst Breath of the Wild players is how infuriating rain is in the game. To those players, rain rhymes with struggle and an annoyingly painful time. It's an obstacle that prevents them from getting to where they want to go, by depriving them almost entirely of the most important ability of the game: climbing.

Personally, I love what rain does in this game, and especially, what it makes me do. How do you overcome struggle in a game? Struggle in videogames usually means putting an obstacle on your way and giving you a mean, sometimes several, to get around it. An icy zone where you are always slipping, impeding your progression? Here are these special boots, that allow you not to slip anymore. A fiery cave that sets you ablaze everytime you step in it? Here's this outfit, that grants you immunity to the cave's extreme temperatures.

What I eventually realized playing videogames is that how the game lays out those means for you is consequential in your appreciation of the struggle. Are they given to you as soon as you stumble upon the obstacle? Do you have to find them in a form of an item in a box somewhere? Do some enemies drop them? All of these examples are classical applications of a formula that you will find in most adventure games, and in most Zelda games in particular. This formula specifies that when a developer creates an obstacle he wants you to overcome, he will naturally designs a mean for you to get so as to allow you to get around it.

It works quite differently in Breath of the Wild. That's where the cybernetic aspect of the game intervenes. Breath of the Wild's gameplay works as a system. Amongst its parts are the items, as well as the actions you can do. Because it is a system, means aren't packaged to be the answer to an obstacle. They're not defined to help you overcome a particular obstacle. Their existence is independent from the obstacle and its resolution. In fact, they're not even means in their first state; they're ressources, facts of the world, rules, items, elements of the system that you, the player, combine together to make a mean that will help you overcome the obstacle you're facing. The player becomes the creative force that put together items and actionss as to propose a solution to a problem.

When some BotW players complain about rain, one of the criticisms that you may encounter is the fact that there is no gear allowing you to climb despite it. I also thought there would be one when I first got a piece of climbing gear, because it made sense to me that since there was a recurrent obstacle in rain, a specifically designed mean to overcome it would be given to us.

But this game doesn't work like that, because it doesn't need it. The system it puts in place allows for the player to combine all the elements of the world to create our own means.

So, instead of looking for a rain proof climbing gear, I cut some wood, find a way to lit it, search for a shelter to make a firecamp under, allowing me to make time pass until rain stops. I could also find another path that will get me to the same destination. Another way to overcome rain would be to learn how to time my jumps and create a climbing pattern that would get me to progress, though with great costs of stamina. Alternatively, I could also find ingredients with stamina inducing properties and cook a lot of endurance meals to be able to climb even wet surfaces. There are many other ways.
Note: [Each step of the means I just described consists in multiple calls to other elements of the system. For example, does the landscape provides shelter? How do I make fire? Fire arrows? Chuchu jelly that have been turned red? Flint? Do I have metal to use the flint? Etc]

Although how they would interact with rain might have been an afterthought in the process that brought them to be how they are, all of these means I end up creating were not specifically designed as solutions to the rain-obstacle. They are the products of several independent but interacting items/facts of the world, just laying around at the disposal of my creativity. And this process of creativity is extremely rewarding. It feels good, and a lot of it is due to how much control you have over the whole ordeal, and what type of intelligence it requires you to muster.

This difference between pre-packaged solutions and independent items giving the opportunity for the player to combine them however he wants, is one of the key of how this game frees the player and gives him the feeling of an adventure he has control over.

Last edited: