The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Switch/Wii U | Out Now

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
The Map borders have changed since E-3. Gray is E-3 last year. Red borders are this year.

More random map info, a comparison between Zelda 1 and 2 overworld maps:

h7ZmvXV.jpg

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
Honestly this is useless information in the grand scheme of things. Who cares how big or small the map is. It's so trivial and unimportant. This reminds me of the time when Sony announced that 5+ million bullets were shot in Killzone 3's multiplayer or some dumbass stat like that.
Debating about the map size and location of places is important for anyone who is curious about how this fits with the rest of the series.

----

Nintendo has a whole page dedicated to comparing Legend of Zelda with Breath of the Wild: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Their Japanese account even tweeted a comparison between LoZ and BotW

original.jpg

original.jpg

During a Treehouse the director paused the screen here to compare it with LoZ
the-legend-of-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-a-link-to-the-timeline-artwork-from-the-origin-1019480.jpg

Oh yeah another timeline hint: A Conversation with Zelda Veteran and ‘Breath of the Wild’ Producer Eiji Aonuma - Waypoint

And where does this Zelda fit on the series' timeline, in its chronology, split as that is into three separate yet connected branches?

Eiji Aonuma: I wouldn't say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you'll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there's a woman's voice, and she says: "The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon." And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there's food for thought there. I don't want to say anything more as I'd like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think.

More Cliff Notes:

Breath of the Wild has two save functions. We've an auto save, and a manual save. The game will auto save as you play, as you move around the map.

Instead of a lot of large dungeons, we decided to include a larger amount of smaller shrines (there still are some larger dungeons) to strike a balance, between this extremely large (over)world that you're exploring, and these goals and objectives to explore within that.

The reason we used voice acting in this Zelda has to do with a certain system we've used in the game. But I can't really tell you any more about what that system is, because it'd kind of be giving too much away about the game. You'll just have to play it, and see how the voice acting fits in for yourself.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
And where does this Zelda fit on the series' timeline, in its chronology, split as that is into three separate yet connected branches?

Eiji Aonuma: I wouldn't say that it obviously fits into any one part of the timeline, but if you play the game, you'll be able to work out where it fits. As you probably saw in the trailer, the most recent trailer, there's a woman's voice, and she says: "The history of the royal family of Hyrule is also the history of the Calamity Ganon." And as you know, the Zelda series, up until now, is a history of repeated attacks by Ganon. So, there's food for thought there. I don't want to say anything more as I'd like players to work it out for themselves, to play the game and see what they think.
I've always looked at Zelda as a series of games with central elements that aren't related by timeline for the most part. I mean some of the games like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time have some loose ties but overall the idea that there is a real Zelda timeline is laughable. They were just making it up as they went along. Later down the line fans started to ask questions so they built in references to other titles and retconned a timeline.

There isn't a grand metastory. it's better to just look at the games as standalone that use several key elements to craft a new story with them.

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
I've always looked at Zelda as a series of games with central elements that aren't related by timeline for the most part. I mean some of the games like Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Ocarina of Time have some loose ties but overall the idea that there is a real Zelda timeline is laughable. They were just making it up as they went along. Later down the line fans started to ask questions so they built in references to other titles and retconned a timeline.

There isn't a grand metastory. it's better to just look at the games as standalone that use several key elements to craft a new story with them.
The Hyrule Historia promotes the fact that there is a grand metastory and you're probably right as in they made up shyt as they went along, but they made all these timelines official, as canon and so this is just part of the fun for fans who love theorizing shyt. Gamers not only like puzzles in game but puzzles in the story.

Daps
This is Nintendo's last game for the Wii-U. Wow was seriously considering buying one too. smh.

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will be the last Nintendo game for Wii U

“From a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of the legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild,” he said. “We really are at the end of life for Wii U.”

Fils-Aime said that Wii U titles will continue to be sold at retail and on the Nintendo eShop, and the company had not begun any discussion for sunsetting online services for the console.

“From our standpoint, sunsetting is quite some time into the future. The ongoing activity from an online standpoint on [Mario] Kart and Splatoon is significant. We're going to continue to support that.”

Why would Zelda being the last game stop you from buying a Wii U?

Dre Space Age

Supporter
Daps
IGN finally did a trailer analysis. Way after everyone else did theirs. Jose took so long I wouldn't be surprised if he watched others before making his.