The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel

llt23

All Star
Daps
I beat this game in around 70 hours.......

Was a really great game. Political intrigue, good plot, anime tropes were there but didnt take away from the mature themes. Fun battle system too.

And then the last 2 hours happened..... that shyt was horrid. Ending of this game is one of the worst I've ever experienced in my entire life.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan

Was a really great game. Political intrigue, good plot, anime tropes were there but didnt take away from the mature themes. Fun battle system too.

And then the last 2 hours happened..... that shyt was horrid. Ending of this game is one of the worst I've ever experienced in my entire life.
The game has no real ending. The second game has a definitive ending which wraps up the plot of the first game and Class VII's story and while it doesn't end on a cliffhanger there are some pretty wild plot twist at the end of the game that set up the direction of the next game.

cfountain

Wavy Like A Lake
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Louisiana

CS2 picks up right where that left off.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I don't remember the ending to CS1. The ending to CS2 was awful though.
I wouldn't say it was awful but it was awkward and glorious at the same time. It does a good job of pointing the direction the third game ultimately will go in but it lacked the punch an ending should have. That's also because we're missing the Crossbell games so a lot of the impact is lost on us. Also one of the plot twist is so telegraphed it probably wouldn't even be considered a spoiler if I posted it.

llt23

All Star
Daps
The game has no real ending. The second game has a definitive ending which wraps up the plot of the first game and Class VII's story and while it doesn't end on a cliffhanger there are some pretty wild plot twist at the end of the game that set up the direction of the next game.

OK. The cliff hanger was terrible. But even worse was the
mecha
shyt. I hope the next game isnt all about that shyt cause it was lame as hell and somewhat out of nowhere. Japan just cant cant resist.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
OK. The cliff hanger was terrible. But even worse was the
mecha
shyt. I hope the next game isnt all about that shyt cause it was lame as hell and somewhat out of nowhere. Japan just cant cant resist.
You'll get more of that. It's part of the regular gameplay in the next game. I never had an issue with that part though.

llt23

All Star
Daps
You'll get more of that. It's part of the regular gameplay in the next game. I never had an issue with that part though.

It was just so out of nowhere.... The politics drove the storyline. The terrorism angle was really cool. The power struggle between the governments, the noble factions, and the use of the Reinford company by diff factions was a strong angle. And then....

The big reveal of 'C' was horrible. No reason for that character to be C. IMO It was really weak and made no impact. I think the big issue with the mecha shyt is that it just kills the whole political angle.

Just feels like a straight up total japanese cliche. And hell not just one, but all of them.
Gundams for no reason....and teenagers being the true bad guys. Silly as fukk. Why would a noble house back some loser kid and help him instead of a duke or someone else who had real power and a real reason to have issues with other political powers? ...........and not only that, Crows motivations were never explained period. So there is absolutely 0 logic. Imagine all these noble houses and political powers putting in millions of dollars to back some random teenage kid....I dont get it.

Feel like the 68 hours I put in were negated by the those reveals. Combine that with that terrible cliffhanger and its just one of the least satisfying endings I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The mech stuff is pretty meh. However you have to give Falcom credit for constantly adding new gameplay features to what is a 20 plus year old game series, without making it bloated or ruining the balance of the game.

Anyway finally got to part 3, can someone up the thread for me please? Can't find it.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
The mech stuff is pretty meh. However you have to give Falcom credit for constantly adding new gameplay features to what is a 20 plus year old game series, without making it bloated or ruining the balance of the game.

Anyway finally got to part 3, can someone up the thread for me please? Can't find it.
Part 3 is the best game in the Cold Steel series by far released in the west (Also it's been said by others that 3 is better than 4). I really likes Trails in the Sky SC but I would rank part 3 right there with it in terms of the entire series.

Trails in the Sky SC, CSIII, and Ao no Kiseki and are the three best in the series. I'd probably rank them in that order. I would strongly suggest putting off Part 3 until you've played the rest of the series. At this point the Crossbell games and Cold Steel games plots intertwine and aren't really separate anymore. There are some huge payoffs for long time series fans that will fall flat if you haven't played those other games. In particular Hamel is one.