The Last of Us | PS3/PS4

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
From what was said by Ellie at the end of the game she would have chose to die and she makes that clear. In the face of that he could have told her what really went down and accepted her reaction and decision on the issue. Instead he chose to double down on the lie for his own selfish purposes opposing her feelings on the issue. Joel is a piece of shyt and whatever relationship he has with Ellie going forward is based on a lie. That's not love it's selfish use of a person to fill a void in your life. At that point his need for her to feel that void was more important than anything else even being straight with her.

Joel probably couldn't take another loss of someone he came to undoubtedly love as his own after his biological daughter's death. I sensed he wouldn't let them take Ellie away at the end of the fall chapter where you ride back to the University via horseback with Ellie. Eitherway, there is DLC coming out for SP so it may be related to this or not :yeshrug: The ending left me feeling ambiguous.

TheGreatShowtime

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Swamp
From what was said by Ellie at the end of the game she would have chose to die and she makes that clear. In the face of that he could have told her what really went down and accepted her reaction and decision on the issue. Instead he chose to double down on the lie for his own selfish purposes opposing her feelings on the issue. Joel is a piece of shyt and whatever relationship he has with Ellie going forward is based on a lie. That's not love it's selfish use of a person to fill a void in your life. At that point his need for her to feel that void was more important than anything else even being straight with her.

Ellie was borderline depressed, breh. She was blaming herself for deaths that weren't on her (eg her friend, Sam, Tess, etc). He was looking out for HER best interests by lying. If your sister/daughter/wife/girlfriend told you she wanted to die, you wouldn't want to stop her and show her life was still worth living?

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Ellie was borderline depressed, breh. She was blaming herself for deaths that weren't on her (eg her friend, Sam, Tess, etc). He was looking out for HER best interests by lying. If your sister/daughter/wife/girlfriend told you she wanted to die, you wouldn't want to stop her and show her life was still worth living?

i would respect their wishes because we were all given a free will. i don't have to like their choice but i have to respect them enough as a person to let them have that choice.

what Joel did is the same level of a husband that's cheating on his wife telling himself he's not gonna tell his wife he cheated on her because he loves her and he doesn't wanna hurt her feelings. from that point going forward that relationship is based on a lie and if the wife ever found out the husband was both cheating and lied to her about it that would probably be fatal to the relationship. maybe if he was straight however the relationship could have survived and she may have forgave him.

i don't fault Joel for saving Ellie as much as i fault him for covering it up because he thought it would be easier for her to swallow and when he found out she was ready to die doubling down on his lie for his own selfish reasons. he lied to her because he knew the consequences of being straight with her and he couldn't accept them to protect her

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
he walked in there and killed all the fireflies and Marlene and the doctors and took her out of there but that's not what he told her. He told her they gave up on a search for a cure. His lie would be like your mother telling you if I ever get into condition x I want to not be saved and her health takes a dive and she's in a position she can't speak for herself and you keep her alive anyway against her wishes.

It wasn't his decision to make and when he clearly chose wrong he should have been straight with her

Well the fireflies weren't straight with Ellie. Obviously Ellie didn't think this procedure would kill her(she talked about learning how to swim after this was over), and she was under the impression that she was the only person immune to the virus. And I'm sure Ellie and Marlene had conversations about this plenty of times.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Well the fireflies weren't straight with Ellie. Obviously Ellie didn't think this procedure would kill her(she talked about learning how to swim after this was over), and she was under the impression that she was the only person immune to the virus. And I'm sure Ellie and Marlene had conversations about this plenty of times.
Marlene didn't find out until the the doctors looked at her and determined they couldn't do the operation with out killing her right? that was after Joel brought her to them.

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Marlene didn't find out until the the doctors looked at her and determined they couldn't do the operation with out killing her right? that was after Joel brought her to them.

you might be right on that one, my bad. I think a recording did say something like that

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
One thing I like about the ending though is it encourages discussion. It isn't as shallow as Uncharted games.
Uncharted isn't a character study on humanity its not supposed to be deep or analytical. this whole game is about the ugly underbelly of humanity when survival and self interest are put at odds with one another. the whole Henry situation is a perfect example. this isn't really a right or wrong kinda game its mostly just shades of grey.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
i would respect their wishes because we were all given a free will. i don't have to like their choice but i have to respect them enough as a person to let them have that choice.

what Joel did is the same level of a husband that's cheating on his wife telling himself he's not gonna tell his wife he cheated on her because he loves her and he doesn't wanna hurt her feelings. from that point going forward that relationship is based on a lie and if the wife ever found out the husband was both cheating and lied to her about it that would probably be fatal to the relationship. maybe if he was straight however the relationship could have survived and she may have forgave him.

i don't fault Joel for saving Ellie as much as i fault him for covering it up because he thought it would be easier for her to swallow and when he found out she was ready to die doubling down on his lie for his own selfish reasons. he lied to her because he knew the consequences of being straight with her and he couldn't accept them to protect her

Joel didn't lie as much as he just omitted part of the truth. The doctors recording said they had been trying for a while and had found some people with the immunity (which is really just the virus mutating into a benign brain tumor). That part was true, Ellie knew that she would probably die in the procedure which is why if you notice the closer they get to the hospital the more depressed and internal she got.
What Ellie accepted in the end was that Joel just walked out of there with her and everything was OK. But she knew on the inside he prolly killed dozens of Fireflies including Marlene (which is true) and didn't tell her the whole truth about why he took her back. Joel did what fathers have been doing to their children for centuries, tell your kids everything is OK when everything is NOT ok.
Joel did what he had to do to keep his "daughter" alive. In that situation, many of us would have done the same or died trying. Does it make it right? No. Did it make it human and believable...yeah

Fury616

www.illdust.com
Daps
Reppin
( o Y o )
Joel didn't lie as much as he just omitted part of the truth. The doctors recording said they had been trying for a while and had found some people with the immunity (which is really just the virus mutating into a benign brain tumor). That part was true, Ellie knew that she would probably die in the procedure which is why if you notice the closer they get to the hospital the more depressed and internal she got.
What Ellie accepted in the end was that Joel just walked out of there with her and everything was OK. But she knew on the inside he prolly killed dozens of Fireflies including Marlene (which is true) and didn't tell her the whole truth about why he took her back. Joel did what fathers have been doing to their children for centuries, tell your kids everything is OK when everything is NOT ok.
Joel did what he had to do to keep his "daughter" alive. In that situation, many of us would have done the same or died trying. Does it make it right? No. Did it make it human and believable...yeah

thats exactly what I said in my earlier post. He grew so attached to Ellie that she was like his daughter now and he wasn't about to watch her die a second time. He'd probably do what Henry did if that was the case. Joel even said that you find reasons to live and keep on fighting. If Ellie died he was basically dead himself. Some of these dudes need to pay attention to the dialogue.

thaKEAF

#grizzlies #titans
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Memphis
Quick question..does PSN put other full games up on release date line they did this? Is it all games it just Sony exclusives?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

The G.O.D II

A ha ha
Supporter
Daps
thats exactly what I said in my earlier post. He grew so attached to Ellie that she was like his daughter now and he wasn't about to watch her die a second time. He'd probably do what Henry did if that was the case. Joel even said that you find reasons to live and keep on fighting. If Ellie died he was basically dead himself. Some of these dudes need to pay attention to the dialogue.

:katt:Cant believe dudes in here thinking joel was selfish for saving her.They had gone cross country, been through hell, grown real close and he was suppose to let her die in the end? Plus he didn't completely lie to her. If you found the doctor/marlene recordings they mentioned about others being immune but no cure was produced. I think Joel didnt want to risk that with someone he'd grown to care for