'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

Superstar
Daps
usain bolt level zombies > running zombies > walking zombies :hubie:

FinishedUnitedAgouti-size_restricted.gif

Superstar
Daps
Saw someone on twitter complainging that the show cheaped out on the CGI giraffe and that it looked horrible :dead:

People really have no idea wtf they’re talking about

Unrelated but you can feed the giraffes by hand if you get to Zoo Atlanta during the right times. I assume you can do that in most cities. It’s kind of relaxing if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Superstar
Daps
TWD season1 wasn’t groundbreaking. Never said it was. But you cannot deny it gave more life to the zombie genre after just a few seasons. You may not enjoy it personally but there’s a reason why so many people are calling TLOU the new TWD. Because TWD was that big of a show that people are desperately searching for a similar show to scratch that zombie itch (which is funny because TLOU isn’t trying to be TWD). The reason I said groundbreaking is because some folk are acting like TLOU season 1 is groundbreaking. Fukk TWD their comparing it to critically acclaimed and highly praised shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, GOT etc. I don’t remember people calling TWD the goat after just one season. If anything people were just saying it might be the next big show (like Lost or something), and it had major potential.

This is my opinion. TWD season 1 was more entertaining to watch. The story isn’t as deep as TLOU but it’s a funner/more preferred watch for me. Sometimes people want to watch a show to get lost in its world building, it’s universe. Focus on multiple characters/survivors etc. I feel like TLOU show (not the game) was inconsistent with that (Ellie & Joel is too much the focus which I didn’t like about the game either even though I think the game is better than the show).

Sometimes people also just want to watch “a plain ol’ zombie flick”, or fukkery. Which is what TWD basically is. It’s like TLOU season has more story depth. But it lacked entertainment (which I’ll argue it’s not really ment to be fun/entertaining, at least not completely). I know I’m probably not conveying this well lol. It’s really just preference.

Basically TLOU show season 1 aims to make you feel (cry and what not, feel for the Ellie and Joel). TWD season 1 is more like a show that aims to entertain you, make you jump maybe (because it’s like a survivor/horror, and drama), have a good time with the group of survivors killing zombies and what not. Plus Rick was a loved character by the viewer.

There were more characters to care for in TWD season 1 to.

TWD was a soap opera and bored the hell out of me compared to the source material. TLOU isn’t a “zombie show”, they can’t really be compared. It’s like comparing “hoop dreams” to “The last dance”, two completely different vehicles of storytelling about to completely different subjects.

phillycavsfan

WAHOOWA
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philadelphia
TWD season1 wasn’t groundbreaking. Never said it was. But you cannot deny it gave more life to the zombie genre after just a few seasons. You may not enjoy it personally but there’s a reason why so many people are calling TLOU the new TWD. Because TWD was that big of a show that people are desperately searching for a similar show to scratch that zombie itch (which is funny because TLOU isn’t trying to be TWD). The reason I said groundbreaking is because some folk are acting like TLOU season 1 is groundbreaking. Fukk TWD their comparing it to critically acclaimed and highly praised shows like Breaking Bad, The Wire, GOT etc. I don’t remember people calling TWD the goat after just one season. If anything people were just saying it might be the next big show (like Lost or something), and it had major potential.

This is my opinion. TWD season 1 was more entertaining to watch. The story isn’t as deep as TLOU but it’s a funner/more preferred watch for me. Sometimes people want to watch a show to get lost in its world building, it’s universe. Focus on multiple characters/survivors etc. I feel like TLOU show (not the game) was inconsistent with that (Ellie & Joel is too much the focus which I didn’t like about the game either even though I think the game is better than the show).

Sometimes people also just want to watch “a plain ol’ zombie flick”, or fukkery. Which is what TWD basically is. It’s like TLOU season has more story depth. But it lacked entertainment (which I’ll argue it’s not really ment to be fun/entertaining, at least not completely). I know I’m probably not conveying this well lol. It’s really just preference.

Basically TLOU show season 1 aims to make you feel (cry and what not, feel for the Ellie and Joel). TWD season 1 is more like a show that aims to entertain you, make you jump maybe (because it’s like a survivor/horror, and drama), have a good time with the group of survivors killing zombies and what not. Plus Rick was a loved character by the viewer.

There were more characters to care for in TWD season 1 to.

In 5 seasons of watching TWD I can tell you that I did not give a fractal of a fraction of a fukk about a single character. I never got invested in the survival of anyone besides Glenn and Shane and I only cared about them because I like both of those actors.

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
I’m not implying that the Fireflies weren’t “Justified” in their initial thinking. BOTH sides failed to give Ellie the full truth of that we agree. I just side with Joel’s reasons over Marlene and the Fireflies.

And Marlene was absolutely INSANE if she thought Joel, even if Ellie woke up and said “Take me to the nearest firefly camp and let them remove my brain in the name of SCIENCE!” Would ACTUALLY have done so. Thats why I think the scene itself should have played out differently. The series didn’t do enough to establish any type of real relationship or understanding between Joel and Marlene where her pleading would have meant anything to him. The episode actually makes Marlene come off worse morally than Joel as Marlene knew Ellie as a newborn and basically abandoned her with the same “oppressive” government that both her and presumably her mother were fighting against. Marlene came off like a villain.
This is true. This makes it even more inexcusable to not have an episode that focuses on Marlene.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
is it me, or did they wrap up the entire 2nd half of the first game in like 2 episodes?

on the game, I remember joel being injured for hella long.
People will say it’s because the story was short anyway (it wasn’t). But that’s no excuse not to flesh out the story (that’s the claim for the adaptation) during the 3rd act…but they had no problem wasting an entire episode on homoerotic filler.

I said before that I didn’t care that they had that episode if it was a longer series or so long as they don’t get anemic on actual existing plot moving forward….Yet he we are.

:yeshrug:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
People will say it’s because the story was short anyway (it wasn’t). But that’s no excuse not to flesh out the story (that’s the claim for the adaptation) during the 3rd act…but they had no problem wasting an entire episode on homoerotic filler.

I said before that I didn’t care that they had that episode if it was a longer series or so long as they don’t get anemic on actual existing plot moving forward….Yet he we are.

:yeshrug:
Gave Bill a backstory just to kill him the same episode.

shyt was lowkey exploitation but nobody wants to have that convo :hubie:

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
If you can't deal with political pandering then the Last of Us just isn't for you....or HBO...or Hollywoodf or that matter.
It's certainly not going to go away in this series.
At least it was done with some thought and effort here....that often isnt the case (see the MCU).

Lord Beasley

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
469 x 972 x 702
If you can't deal with political pandering then the Last of Us just isn't for you....or HBO...or Hollywoodf or that matter.
It's certainly not going to go away in this series.
At least it was done with some thought and effort here....that often isnt the case (see the MCU).
hbo didn't normally pander like that. but i WAS confused during s1 of Perry Mason when they made della and hamilton gay and paul drake black (tho that actually has purpose in the show)

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
At that point they dont know she has to die to help with the cure. Im sure Joel still thinks they just gonna draw blood, run tests and will be on their way afterwards.
I know but I was strictly addressing the argument that she is not in her right mind and therefore can't make an important decision. Even if they don't know what will happen, Joel still trusted her judgement at several points up until then, despite the crazy shyt happening to her.
I'm saying you can't bring up her having been through a lot of shyt to justify Joel overriding her decision in that moment.
1.He just killed a dozen fireflies and he dont know who else coming. Aint time to ask Ellie her thoughts and stuff. Plus he can't go "my bad", get another fungus doctor right quick and do the surgery.
2. I said he was wrong for not telling her
3. It's not that he disregarded his wants and needs over hers. He knows she wants to live. This is why I view the FF worse than Joel. Marlene can talk all that shyt but at the end of the day, she was gonna take Ellie's life and not give her a choice in the matter.
1. Fair. You're right and I'm wrong. I agree.

3. I very much disagree with that. He doesn't know that at all. I know you want the discussion to be restricted to the show, and I think it's interesting that they made the waters muddier perhaps to make the ending more ambiguous than it was in the game... But even considering the TV show only, you can't conclude that Ellie wouldn't want to sacrifice herself, which is a very different question from her wanting to live.

I want to live too, but if you give me the option for my death to mean something, for example a 10% chance of having world hunger, war and racism eradicated from the world, even 1% chance, you can't just say "well you wanted to live and had future projects, so I decided to refuse for you :manny:". You didn't even bring up the choice to me. And you'd be wrong to do that because I might very well take that chance given my history :ufdup:

Our will to live is conditional and there are things that even those who love life are ready to sacrifice themselves for. Saying the contrary would mean saying that anybody that ever made the ultimate sacrifice was already suicidal to begin with, which is nonsensical since it is then not a sacrifice.

And given what we've seen and what she said herself repeatedly, I'm very much of the opinion that Joel knows perfectly well Ellie would take that chance. Marlene knows it and that's why she said "you know she would want to do what's right", which Joel has no comeback for. Now he could argue that the cure has no chance to work in his non-scientific, "common sense" opinion. But he still has to present the choice to her if he wants to do right by her.

She wasnt even holding the gun right. When Joel first taught her and she said Fedra trained her he was like "Yea figures", on some that training trash shyt. I just cant agree with you on the child soldier stuff. They was going over basic stuff not putting bullets in people. You saw how fukked up she was after shooting that guy that almost killed Joel :manny:
A true child soldier trained to be heartless woudlve took that person with no issues.
I'd be very surprised if true child soldiers have great training, and even then... A child soldier is a child soldier regardless of if he's in the child soldier training bootcamp or already on the field.

What about episode 8 then when she has David and James at gunpoint over the deer and disarms their weapons? When she devises a plan to draw the attention of a group of armed men away from Joel and shoots at them on horseback? When she hacks through James with the hatchet, then stabs David and cuts him to pieces?

She's still not a child soldier at this point?

I'm two posts away from pulling the :mjpls: card on yall. Precious Ellie is no child soldier but Riley is a terrorist and Marlene as well huh :mjpls:

I'm just playing
full

shonuff

All Star
Daps
No, that's not true. There is a delay between the initial infection and the first appearance of symptoms (as for any virus), among which agression, that lead to the infected person losing their mind. They even put a timeframe on this delay in the show (24 hours if bitten in the legs for example). You can more or less safely run tests on infected persons during this timeframe.

The game explicitly states that Ellie is the only immune person they ever encountered.

Proof that you're wrong from the wiki page posted earlier:
https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Surgeon%27s_recorder

Proof that you're wrong in audio format, directly from the game (timestamped):

Proof that you're wrong in written form:

Proof that you're wrong in different colors for visually impaired people:

If you concede that point, I'm willing to discuss the rest :hubie: If you want to cling on a nonsensical argument, that has been disproven fair and square, I'll let you have at it

Hmm nah

The game doesn't say Ellie is the only immune person - MARLENE says that she is the only immune person her group has ever encountered ( and the show details that Anna - Ellies mom was part of a group that was trying to find a "vaccine" )
The audio tape from.the doctor says HER samples aren't reacting like other people who are infected - and most importantly- THEY DONT KNOW THE REASON FOR HER IMMUNITY - he goes onto say they have to replicate her state but how can you replicate something you just admitted you don't know why it occured???

He doesn't know that he needs to take her brain out any more than he knows he needs to take out a section of her liver or her heart - or feed her peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for 10 yrs straight ...
So again like they've tried before with other people they've killed them for no advancement since they don't know what they are looking for .

And it gets deeper - if they don't know what the cause of her immunity is what logic is there in doing something that would kill her ?? They don't know why she has no growth in her brain so the solution is to take her brain? It just illustrates that the Fireflies don't know what they are doing ...again they are ideologues ...violent ones - they make child soldiers ...

The passage you posted (3x - the wiki is nothing but what you transcribed which again doesn't say they KNOW they have to kill ellie to find the cure ) it doesn't say what you think its says and it absolutely doesnt show they are any better than FEDRA - hell the last part that you highlighted there is aspirational, its not an assurance that Ellies condition is repeatable - she MIGHT be able to provide a cure but again they don't even know what they are looking for ....so.killing her is very much just killing her for no reason other than " maybe we will find something"

So again you are incorrect- they have failed before - his recordings say they have failed - they ( and he ) specifically say they don't know why shes immune - so killing her definitely shows they don't know what they are doing. You don't kill the only living being that is immune to an infection that you don't even know WHY she is immune ...Joel is a100percent right just on principle to kill them ...his own personal feelings for ellie not withstanding.

Hell I would kill someone who decided that they had to kill someone ( definitely a child ) to do research on something when they don't even know what they a researching to find in the first place

the opening scene is a bit of a diversion- you have a pregnant woman who got bit on the leg and soon after she gives birth

Even you as the viewer are given a set of facts that they ( the doctors) don't even have you still don't have enough to conclude that those are all the factors necessary to get
"Immunity" and certainly isn't a indication that its transferable .

The tragedy is that Marlene at least knows in part what led up to ellies birth but she is so blinded by her passion for beating FEDRA she has lost the real meaning of why FEDRA is so bad in the first place and the cure isn't for the sake of mankind its just a tool to use as leverage to fight against FEDRA

Its that whole "taking an eye for an eye makes the world blind" saying .....

Last edited: