'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
I’m not implying that the Fireflies weren’t “Justified” in their initial thinking. BOTH sides failed to give Ellie the full truth of that we agree. I just side with Joel’s reasons over Marlene and the Fireflies.

And Marlene was absolutely INSANE if she thought Joel, even if Ellie woke up and said “Take me to the nearest firefly camp and let them remove my brain in the name of SCIENCE!” Would ACTUALLY have done so. Thats why I think the scene itself should have played out differently. The series didn’t do enough to establish any type of real relationship or understanding between Joel and Marlene where her pleading would have meant anything to him. The episode actually makes Marlene come off worse morally than Joel as Marlene knew Ellie as a newborn and basically abandoned her with the same “oppressive” government that both her and presumably her mother were fighting against. Marlene came off like a villain.
Fair enough, I side with Joel's actions too. I totally agree that he would have not cared even if Ellie said so with her own mouth and that Marlene's plan would have never worked.

But I think that she had no other choice but to try an ave maria in that final situation. She kills Joel there and the cure might as well be gone (plus he holds Ellie so there's a huge risk to try and shoot in this situation). When you think about it, she gambles in the exact same way she did in the first episode when she entrusted the most important kid in the world to two smugglers passing by because she couldn't do the job. Except she's in an even more dire situation this time.

As for her abandoning Ellie to a FEDRA's camp, I think Marlene realized how inherently dangerous the Firefly lifestyle was. That's why she refused to let Ellie join when Riley asked her if she could. And given what's shown of the Fireflies in the series throughout the episodes, that's understandable to me. You can argue there's a better life to be lived under a tyrannical structure than the one you suffer through combating it. That's the same shyt FEDRA General Kwong was talking about. In that sense she was honoring her promise up until Ellie revealed herself to be immune.

I wouldn't say she comes off as villainous, I don't think any character does, but she definitely does messed up shyt that she sees as necessary. But as with every character, you can paint that shyt terribly too (especially with her recruiting Riley and not Ellie, a lot could be said about that).

shonuff

All Star
Daps
Not true... They specifically say they tried on people that have been infected, not immune, and reiterate that Ellie's immunity is some shyt that has NEVER been seen before
Uhhh EVERYONE is infected and turned they have that in abundance so you are incorrect . The only people to try to get a cure from are people who show no signs of turning and thats happened 11 times before with NO success

And let me add

You can barely get across the country hell they can barely communicate from one city to another but somehow the Fireflies who havnt been successful at anything for over a decade or more are going to extract a "cure" and inoculate people ? How would they make this cure ? How do they know its something that everyone could take ? Or that the "cure" doesn't wear off??

Theres still infected who will attack - there's still a Fedra that will war - there's still raiders that will prey on anyone that has anything ...a cure changes NONE of the way the world now works after 20 years

Joel makes the right decision becuase at the end of they day even IF ellies is the "cure" he killed the guy who thought he could do this "operation" - there's no knowledge that there is anyone else has the ability to do what he did ....if there was the wouldn't have needed to travel all the way across the country to DO this "operation"

Saying Joel denied the world a cure by not handing over ellie is silly- there's no cure the second the doctor picked up the scalpel and told Joel "I'm not going let you take her." whose got him at gunpoint

Picking up that scalpel makes it plain he would kill Joel and Joel is about that life ....of killing

King Static X

The Realest King (የተከበረው ንጉሥ)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kings County
*Of course, 99-100% of people in Joel's situation or mindset (as a "parent") would try to do exactly what Joel did.

*But does that mean Joel is right? No, he's not.

*Marlene and the Fireflies weren't right either. Marlene & Joel both should have given Ellie a choice.

*Ellie would have most likely agreed to do the surgery because unlike what some others have said, Ellie views her ultimate purpose in life to be the "savior of the world". Not to be "Joel's daughter" (as much as she loves and trusts him).

*Would the surgery have worked? No one knows (probably not) but Ellie would have given it a shot. This situation would have terrified Joel and he most likely wouldn't accept Ellie's decision. He would probably still try to kill all of the Fireflies and (in his mind) "save" Ellie.

*Further, why would Joel lie to Ellie and not just tell her the truth about what he did? It's because he knows that Ellie would disagree with his actions and that she would not want to be in his life anymore. She would feel hurt and betrayed and Joel would lose another "daughter". He doesn't want that to happen, so he lies to her.

Last edited:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
Uhhh EVERYONE is infected and turned they have that in abundance so you are incorrect . The only people to try to get a cure from are people who show no signs of turning and thats happened 11 times before with NO success
No, that's not true. There is a delay between the initial infection and the first appearance of symptoms (as for any virus), among which agression, that lead to the infected person losing their mind. They even put a timeframe on this delay in the show (24 hours if bitten in the legs for example). You can more or less safely run tests on infected persons during this timeframe.

The game explicitly states that Ellie is the only immune person they ever encountered.

Proof that you're wrong from the wiki page posted earlier:
https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Surgeon%27s_recorder

Proof that you're wrong in audio format, directly from the game (timestamped):

Proof that you're wrong in written form:
Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients.

We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles, we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back into control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain.

Proof that you're wrong in different colors for visually impaired people:
Marlene was right. The girl's infection is like nothing I've ever seen. The cause of her immunity is uncertain. As we've seen in all past cases, the antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid. Blood cultures taken from the patient rapidly grow Cordyceps in fungal-media in the lab... however white blood cell lines, including percentages and absolute-counts, are completely normal. There is no elevation of pro-inflammatory cytokines, and an MRI of the brain shows no evidence of fungal-growth in the limbic regions, which would normally accompany the prodrome of aggression in infected patients.

We must find a way to replicate this state under laboratory conditions. We're about to hit a milestone in human history equal to the discovery of penicillin. After years of wandering in circles, we're about to come home, make a difference, and bring the human race back into control of its own destiny. All of our sacrifices and the hundreds of men and women who've bled for this cause, or worse, will not be in vain.

If you concede that point, I'm willing to discuss the rest :hubie: If you want to cling on a nonsensical argument, that has been disproven fair and square, I'll let you have at it

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
:salute:to you as well breh

If she isn't in the right mind to make that decision, why give her the choice to stop or continue right before they reached the hospital then?
At that point they dont know she has to die to help with the cure. Im sure Joel still thinks they just gonna draw blood, run tests and will be on their way afterwards.

1. Why not let her wake up when Joel had already killed every threat and Marlene gave him the chance to do so when she said it was not too late and put her gun down?
2. Why not inform Ellie that he took that decision for her after the deed was done?
3. Yall can't get reduce Joel's actions to be those of this noble selfless protector and disregard how he put his wants and needs over hers, just like the Fireflies.
1.He just killed a dozen fireflies and he dont know who else coming. Aint time to ask Ellie her thoughts and stuff. Plus he can't go "my bad", get another fungus doctor right quick and do the surgery.
2. I said he was wrong for not telling her
3. It's not that he disregarded his wants and needs over hers. He knows she wants to live. This is why I view the FF worse than Joel. Marlene can talk all that shyt but at the end of the day, she was gonna take Ellie's life and not give her a choice in the matter.

You can't say he put her wants and needs over the cure if we dont know she wanted to die for the cure. We do know she wanted to help with the cure and live.
Now all the lying stuff after the fact? Yea, he put her wants and needs etc over her feelings.

And the fact that all that trauma happened in a year or was spread out doesn't change the result for Ellie, who I must point out was taught how to handle a gun to protect herself and others from monsters and humans and put that shyt to work, just like a child soldier. She's every bit of a child soldier :gucci: Not to mention she grew up in an area where terrorist attacks by the Fireflies were a weekly thing and her classes consisted in learning how to kill them :gucci: She's a child soldier for sure
She wasnt even holding the gun right. When Joel first taught her and she said Fedra trained her he was like "Yea figures", on some that training trash shyt. I just cant agree with you on the child soldier stuff. They was going over basic stuff not putting bullets in people. You saw how fukked up she was after shooting that guy that almost killed Joel :manny:
A true child soldier trained to be heartless woudlve took that person with no issues.

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
You're going to get the same overall story from part 2 and you're gonna love that shyt:ufdup:
I guarantee you are gonna see a different story
The writers on this show are gonna look at the game and say nah you need to fix the story some more to work on this level of television

CW_1991

Banned
Daps

Very underrated channel imo. These guys are actually pretty insightful about the shows they watch and have pretty good discussions afterwards.

They've never played the games