'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

taker597

Superstar
Daps
So They Should Be Ok With Life The Way It Is? lol
I'm sorry but does a cure stop an infected from smashing your brains in...and getting a cure does what? They just gonna cross country to vaccinate raiders, and cannibals? To get a cure... They are going to harvest the only known living immune to do it.

This isn't 2 years after the outbreak. It's 20 whole years. The world is gone.

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I dont understand how people can say this when 4 characters on the show close to ellie died because of the virus
They didn't feel overwhelming. Felt like an easily manageable situation with a lot of them died out.

But the show runner was talking about how they'll fix that in season 2.

ThaBronxBully

Postin’ & Toastin’ Since 02’
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC
I'm sorry but does a cure stop an infected from smashing your brains in...and getting a cure does what? They just gonna cross country to vaccinate raiders, and cannibals? To get a cure... They are going to harvest the only known living immune to do it.

Vaccinating Children And Newly Born Puts The Odds In Your Favor For The Future, You Know The Kids Are Gonna Grow Up And Have Children Right? lol You Want Them To Be 100% Functioning Humans Not Another Batch Of Infected

If It Took 20 Years To Break It’ll Take 40 Years To Fix, We’re Not Talking About Saving Joel’s Generation Here, It’s A Fix That Will Take Decades But It’s A Fix

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sorry but your logic doesn't follow

If no one is exactly good or bad then Joel isn't making a "bad" choice...if he is bad and a ppl ice of shyt he isn't any more of one than Marlene whom lies and manipulates both Joel and Ellie AND even betrays her life long friend to kill her daughter

Thats a shytty person no matter what kind of definitive benefit that can be derived...and the show and game makes it plain ...its a MAYBE that they MIGHT find a cure/vaccine ..They don't know that they will

So if it comes down to selfishness the fact again they are acting in thier own interests and he does too ....so you can't say Joel is being selfish since ultimately he his acting in Ellies interest- they are acting in the interest of their cause

Killing a child to fulfill your passion puts you right in Evil Karen's company - enjoy your neighbor.

i acknowledged that they're both making a fukked up decision, and that they'd both have to live with it. the reason i'm calling joel selfish is because in his heart he knows what ellie would have wanted, even if she never verbalized that she was willing to die to see it through.

"what ellie wanted" is the crux of the entire hospital moment. to me, if we're trying to make sense of it, it's not about what we do for the people we love or whether the cure would have worked or anything else. "what ellie wanted" is the only possible way i see to separate joel's decision from marlene's (and as i said before, it's also why the game/show HAS to rush ellie into surgery, and make the decision for her, even though doing so makes no sense). without it, we're all trying to justify which horrendous choice is less horrendous.

you can argue that both joel and marlene made selfish decisions. 100%. but only one of them -- in my opinion -- knowingly went against ellie's wishes. as much as i sympathize with joel asking them to wake ellie up and let her decide, and everything he did afterwards... he knows what she would have said. he lied to her BECAUSE he knows.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange

The cure helps to stop it. It's called The Last of Us. It's literally about humanity in it's final death throes. A cure would help other communities, like the one in Wyoming to fully prosper, and if someone is bitten they'll have a chance of surviving. The number of infected could be lessened over time. It would be one less thing to worry about in a world that has gone to hell. And if some of those raiders and cannibals know that a cure is out there, maybe some would break off and want to be a part of a reemerging modern society. The world would be what it is after 20 years of that bullshyt. There's no real going back to what was normal. The major cities have been bombed to hell. There would at least be a fighting chance to slowly crawl back for the next 20, 40, 60, 80 and 100 years.

null

Daps
Reppin
UK, DE, GY, DMV
signs were there all along (but i missed them). joel is a nutta . pedro plays morally questionable people well, so good.

good season 1. great finale.

bella kind of grows on you.

what a f****d up place post-cordy-world is :picard:

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
honestly, i'm hoping part of the reason they didn't lean too hard into the zombies is to eventually show ellie and joel becoming more capable as the show continues. in season 1, they can barely handle regular zombies, and needed luck to get past a few clickers. if they're taking those same infected out no problem down the road it makes the threat of new, more dangerous infected more credible by extension.

i personally thought they did a really good job of selling the threat of the undead, so i dont have any issue with them removing some of the bigger horde scenes from the game. these characters wouldn't survive going head up with a single bloater without heavy ordnance. never mind 3 bloaters and a horde of walkers + clickers.

one other complaint i had is that i wish they would have scaled back the number of surviving fireflies in the hospital, because at no point in the show was joel set up to be that much of a badass. i was fine with it. but i was hoping they showed the fireflies on their last legs, or did something else to show why joel could take them on and pull it off.

even if he took a couple hits for example, it still would have fit his lie that he escaped from raiders.

instead, the reasons for his success were mostly implied: he completed the trip to utah, while marlene struggled to get there in one piece. so her team wasn't as capable as they appeared.
I understand why they would scale back on the infected and raiders compared to the game, but I do think they should have had a heavier hand with it.

The show cannot work by trying to be a game and what you say about progress makes sense when it comes to Ellie.

But Joel is supposed to be this veteran survivor who, though on the decline, is supposed to be a step further than anybody else when it comes to handling these threats. I don't think it would have hurt to see him handle more infected (only interactions he had with them was the two clickers in the second episode and sniping at the horde in the fifth one, that's very light imo).

They could have been sprinkled here and there in a way that wouldn't have hurt but even reinforced narration choices. For example, David and Ellie could have handled one or two infected together, which would have helped greatly in masking the menace David incarnates, just like in the game. It wouldn't even have had to be long.
There also could have been a short action scene in the tunnels when the crew was with Henry and Sam. It almost wouldn't change anything and could have magnified the shock of seeing a hundred of them swarm from the sinkhole a little bit later.
There was another opportunity for more action at the end of episode 6 when Joel kills that raider. He doesn't even have to defeat an entire army of them; just seeing him stealth his way out of most of them would have been cool and tense.

And that's just talking about fighting. The tunnel scene from the end game doesn't even have infected if I recall correctly, or they're not the point; the action is just a consequence of trying to move around a devastated world which has dire consequences in the game and makes you feel how dangerous a trip it is. Traversal in the game leads to lots of crazy moments, probably in part due to Naughty Dogs' experience with Uncharted, and I wish we could have had some of that in the show, even if I know it might have been too much to expect budget-wise.

But then, how are they going to handle the crazy set pieces from part 2, like the sky bridges? Are those just going to get cut or will they attempt it with their probably expended budget?

On the other hand, while I think there were harmless opportunities for more action, I prefer they stayed light with it rather than them trying to emulate the game too much and having Joel take down dozens of folks. Proof is in the pudding, the rampage he had at the hospital was the most "unrealistic" part of the show and didn't look believable to me. It was a little bit like when Bill was standing in the middle of the street shooting at raiders. At some point, Joel just rushes through a corridor spraying at like 4 soldiers and that kinda took me out of it. I liked the parts where he took them by surprise the most because it made it seem like he really just was a mass-shooter killing surprised neutral soldiers, which is much more grim and believable imo.

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
The lack of infected in the show really made getting the cure at all cost really contrived
Episode 5 kinda implied that there is no such thing as long-term peace in this world. They were in a city where infected were thought to have been eradicated a decade ago and it all felt apart because of one sinkhole (you can see the infected rushing to the QZ at the end of the episode).

Also, I think the show makes it a point to show that this shyt isn't about saving the world for any of the characters.

Joel does it for Ellie.
Ellie does it for the deads and herself.
The Fireflies do it because they're getting fukked all over the country and are in a dire need for a W.

Last edited: