'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 With 7 Episodes |

Ribbs

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Great finale, impressive CGI giraffe but that was selfish Joel. Marlene should've knee capped you and see which nurse was still alive to hook Ellie back up.

Daps
She didnt know the nikka caught feelings :manny:

shyt when she last saw them Joel didnt even want to take her and was only doing it for payment.

:comeon:

He didn’t need to catch feelings to not want to see a child killed. She knew it was fukked up as she said it; that’s why she said it so apologetically. Plus, it was clear they had gotten close when Ellie kept asking for him and when he asked for her as soon as he woke up.

And like I said, she didn’t need to tell him. I could see her doing it if there was some advantage to telling him. Or if some dumb henchman or random medical professional let it slip. But it made no sense for Marlene to openly pronounce she was going to kill Ellie to this one man killing machine. Marlene was shown as a super cautious, smart leader prior to that, now you want me to believe she was unable to read such an obvious situation.

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
I understand the urge to qualify Joel’s decision by arguing that the surgery wouldn’t have worked and even if it did, it was too late anyway….but, that’s missing the point. It’s the trolley problem, and Joel picked Ellie over a vaccine.

The fireflies lied to Elie in the first place

If they did the noble thing and got her consent and was straight up with her to begin with the situation wouldn't have even become what it became for Joel.
They would know the gravity of the situation and both would have consented to that sacrifice

If the whole journey was about her dying I guarantee she would say yes but they didn't want to risk her not being okay with it which is why I have no problem with Joel killing them

They are insane scientists experimenting on a child to save a remnant of humanity that achieves nothing

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
The fireflies lied to Elie in the first place

If they did the noble thing and got her consent and was straight up with her to begin with the situation wouldn't have even become what it became for Joel.
They would know the gravity of the situation and both would have consented to that sacrifice

If the whole journey was about her dying I guarantee she would say yes but they didn't want to risk her not being okay with it which is why I have no problem with Joel killing them

They are insane scientists experimenting on a child to save a remnant of humanity that achieves nothing
You’ve missed the point because you have an emotional attachment to the characters.

No one is completely right or completely wrong in this world…or in real life. Joel isn’t completely right or wrong…the fireflies aren’t completely right or wrong. Trying to paint one as such is missing the point.

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm sorry thats bullshyt

- how is promising to save and protect the child of someone you loved and cared about- Marlene and Anna were friends for years - Anna wouldn't sacrifice her baby and trusted Marlene to look out for her

you have to be REALLY fukked up and evil to then serve them up to be butchered for what may or may not be a "cure" ...and the show and game makes it plain ...there is NO cure ( the scientist makes it clear from the first episode there is no vaccine or cure man can come up with for a fungus like cordycyps )

Dude has been saving his daughter all his post apocalypse life ....how the fukk is saving the person you love and you're supposed to protect

You can't reconcile and excuse Henry's sacrifice for Sam and then turn around and say Joel is selfish and wicked....

Becuase Joel doesn't do anything different from Henry.

You’re romanticizing Joel’s actions because you agree with them, and demonizing everything else.

Ellie wasn’t being butchered. And Marlene made a choice, the same way Joel did. She did what she thought was right, and she would have had to live with it, the same way Joel did. And if anyone deserved more of a say in Ellie’s fate than Joel, it was the woman who took care of Ellie from day one. The woman who knew her mother and Ellie better than Joel ever could.

The difference between the two is Marlene was prepared to sacrifice someone she loved for the rest of humanity to have a chance. Joel sacrificed everyone else to save Joel.

Thats the fukked up part (imo): Joel didn’t save Ellie for Ellie’s sake. He saved her 100% for himself. Ellie would’ve gone through with the surgery, even if told what it would cost her, and Joel knows it. She told him as much (even if she didn’t know her life would be the price of seeing it through). That’s why when Marlene called him on it he had nothing.

He made a selfish decision to forsake a possible cure for humanity because he couldn’t go through losing his daughter again. I’m not saying I don’t understand why. Similar to Marlene, he was faced with an impossible choice. But don’t make his actions noble. They weren’t. There were no noble decisions left for Marlene or Joel.

Last edited:

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Someone correct my if I'm wrong, but in the game doesn't Joel body everybody? Even the nurses?

:demonic:

That was one difference I noticed. Haven't beat TLOU in like a decade

You don’t have to. I didn’t realize it until I played the game again though.

First time I kicked in the door wavin’ the 44. Demon mode.

OnFleekTing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DMV
You’ve missed the point because you have an emotional attachment to the characters.

No one is completely right or completely wrong in this world…or in real life. Joel isn’t completely right or wrong…the fireflies aren’t completely right or wrong. Trying to paint one as such is missing the point.

I could not care about Elie or Joel and still think the situation is heavily weighted towards Joel. Just based on the state of the world and the ethical morality of what is being done
The fireflies have a good motive but again what they are willing to do is not good. Elie is a minor who is traumatized from a lot of her loved ones dying or abandoning her mindset on her life is too skewed for her to logically think about the situation. They are taking advantage of her

IRL we don't accept or consent to teenagers making their own medical decisions especially where their life is in the balance we look to an adult to ultimately make the choice. Marlene is literally lying to Elie in the first place whereas Joel is lying after the fact.

They both choosing for her

Woodrow

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:comeon:

He didn’t need to catch feelings to not want to see a child killed. She knew it was fukked up as she said it; that’s why she said it so apologetically. Plus, it was clear they had gotten close when Ellie kept asking for him and when he asked for her as soon as he woke up.

And like I said, she didn’t need to tell him. I could see her doing it if there was some advantage to telling him. Or if some dumb henchman or random medical professional let it slip. But it made no sense for Marlene to openly pronounce she was going to kill Ellie to this one man killing machine. Marlene was shown as a super cautious, smart leader prior to that, now you want me to believe she was unable to read such an obvious situation.

This is the part I’ve always had a problem with. She knows what Joel is capable of, she knows what that type of journey would do to someone in Joel’s position… and she tells him anyway? I get why she didn’t just have him killed; a debt was owed. But I find it hard to believe she’d give Joel the full rundown on what was about to happen.

Why risk it, when you’re that close to a potential salvation?

MischievousMonkey

Gor bu dëgër
Daps
This is the part I’ve always had a problem with. She knows what Joel is capable of, she knows what that type of journey would do to someone in Joel’s position… and she tells him anyway? I get why she didn’t just have him killed; a debt was owed. But I find it hard to believe she’d give Joel the full rundown on what was about to happen.

Why risk it, when you’re that close to a potential salvation?
She thought she owed him the truth