'The Last of Us' HBO Series (NO GAME SPOILERS!) | Season 2 Coming 2025 (7 Episodes) | Season 2 Official Teaser Released

klientel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For all my NON-GAMING (or gamers that haven't played TLOU) watchers, how we feeling about the episode?

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because it's most likely a set-up episode, but for the standard the show has set it felt kinda mid for me.

Also, I miss the cold-opens with the pre-pandemic stuff.
Compared to the last episode which was amazing, this one kinda dipped a little but I still enjoyed it.

this pacing is throwing me off though, we are already on episode 4 and there is a ton of stuff left to get through. We have like 4-5 major events lefts in the main game plus they have an entire episode dedicated to Riley.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The show was good the first 2 episodes, the last one was good and this one is mid. It's just not hitting as hard as the game does, not even close. that clicker encounter early in the show really captured the tension a player would feel during the game, but it's been missing since. The initial crash during this episode served as a great set piece in the game, but the whole encounter was very meh in the show. I don't like the writers skipping out on Ellie's "moment" and not having her kill the man, it really dampens everything about the situation. The writing isn't as good here, the conversations are staler than in the game and the world building is almost non-existent. The last of us game also captured a sense of depravity and dread the show doesn't; leaning off of the gore and making the show more character drive seems like a mistake so far, especially when the characters are STILL better written in the game. Also that woman who's supposedly the leader of the group that's tracking Joel and Ellie is laughable, they could've casted a woman who's intimidating at least.

I could go on and on. The show has been a solid ride so far, but for anybody who's still wondering what the big deal is about the last of us universe, they should play the game, it's a way better experience for sure.

old pig

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The show was good the first 2 episodes, the last one was good and this one is mid. It's just not hitting as hard as the game does, not even close. that clicker encounter early in the show really captured the tension a player would feel during the game, but it's been missing since. The initial crash during this episode served as a great set piece in the game, but the whole encounter was very meh in the show. I don't like the writers skipping out on Ellie's "moment" and not having her kill the man, it really dampens everything about the situation. The writing isn't as good here, the conversations are staler than in the game and the world building is almost non-existent. The last of us game also captured a sense of depravity and dread the show doesn't; leaning off of the gore and making the show more character drive seems like a mistake so far, especially when the characters are STILL better written in the game. Also that woman who's supposedly the leader of the group that's tracking Joel and Ellie is laughable, they could've casted a woman who's intimidating at least.

I could go on and on. The show has been a solid ride so far, but for anybody who's still wondering what the big deal is about the last of us universe, they should play the game, it's a way better experience for sure.

I’m gonna wait til I’ve watched the whole season…the third ep and the unnecessary hype before and after it just made me realize I need to watch the show and be patient…but outside of the first ep, I’ve found myself more so excited for what’s to come than what’s actually taken place…the show has been pretty solid but I think ppl (myself included) have been hyping the shyt up way too much…I feel sorry too for those who are not familiar with the game…the amount of spoilers being thrown around is ridiculous

Last edited:

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
My least favorite episode yet, was kinda dry to be honest.

When the car crashed I really wanted Joel to black out on nikkaz like he did in the game , instead all I got was one head shot and another offscreen kill. I know drukkman said he would back out on the gore but come man …

Next we got Roseanne leading a group of men by her emotions. TERRIBLE character. She just didn’t fit here in my opinion. Somebody said it earlier but this felt very walking dead….

7/10
I think that’s the point.

Ellie, Kathleen, the black kid drawing superheroes shouldn’t be in these positions.

Joel killed that kid no problem but still tried to hide it from Ellie. Kathleen didn’t want to deal with the Doctor or that floor situation only until here emotions forced her

taker597

Superstar
Daps
I'm not sure how they're going to do that

Would you adapt it faithfully and have Ellie not be in most of season 3?

I don't think they'll do that.
After Westworld... I think HBO is probably done with multiple timelines. It's an audience killer. Show is too expensive to annoy it's audience with confusing ass timeline jumping.

They'll just probably layer the dual narrative and keep everything in the present.

Shogun

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Knicks
if you and others believe in that, there’s no reason for him to take her to Tommy
Here's how I see it:
Tess begging him to take her west gets that job done, but that alone results in Joel leaving Ellie to the doctors when they get there.
The theme of this episode was protector. Bill protecting Frank, Frank protecting Bill, Bill telling Joel to take whatever he needs to keep Tess (transfered to Ellie) safe. This episode is meant to explain Joel's final decision, which is the hinge of the entire second act of the story. Maybe it worked for you, maybe it didn't....but the intention is as clear as day (especially if you know the ending).