The Last of Us 2 breaks record for most GOTY awards at 203!

Doctor Doom

Rest in peace, Akira Toriyama
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Latveria
They took a TWD approach killing off Joel for perceived shock value, it was a bad decision but not a deal breaker for me.
The lesbian stuff doesn’t affect me.

Gameplay was just as tight as the 1st one, some story elements didn't hit their mark with me. Game is a legitimate 9/10. My only problem with Abby at all was the fact she wasn't built up enough for me to enjoy playing her or really caring about her story. I just kept thinking about when I could get back to playing Ellie.

Also I think the ending should have been player choice.

No point in setting up that entire revenge plot, killing off people who barely had shyt to do with Joel's death, brutally dealing with Abby's friends, then just letting the bytch go at the end. It also would have made more sense for Ellie being alone at the end, or they could have made that a choice.

A)Go after Abby and kill her, when you come back to the house, Ole girl and the kid are gone.

B)say fukk it, don't take revenge, and live a normal life

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars & Sneakers
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Anti-George Lucas Coalition
People hate on the game just because they dont like what happened to Joel. If they do a PS5 remaster I’ll play through it again.
This is all truth.

And it really shows how soft people are when it comes to not getting the fairy tale ending they want in a story. Then they resent the title for it. Kind of like in Game of Thrones, when the series didn't end with Jon Snow being crowned King of Westeros. People were just livid because it wasn't the happy ending and they felt the guy who got the crown didn't deserve (not that GoT was ever a series where people got what they deserved).

People might have empathized with Joel becoming a father figure to Ellie, especially with the loss of his daughter..but let's be honest. Dude denied the world its only shot at a cure, and shot up an entire hospital to boot. He robbed Ellie of a higher purpose, one she desired. Before Ellie, it's strongly hinted at he was a fukked up dude. Him receiving a come-uppance..well, that's just good story telling. Lotta softies couldn't handle that.

TrillaMonsoon

Fun God
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Nation Of Fun
Cant imagine being a grown man, playing a video game about apocalyptic zombie times where you gotta kill everything in sight being bothered by sexual orientation. Of FAKE CHARACTERS! They fantasize about trans women so much they made Abby one when she is a straight woman with arms bigger than triple h. The insecurity of "straight males" will never not make me laugh. :mjlol:

"Listen, if I'm gonna waste 30 hours of my life, the person I'm using better be straight like me. What, if I help this lesvian do good, will I become gay? :lupe:"

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is all truth.

And it really shows how soft people are when it comes to not getting the fairy tale ending they want in a story. Then they resent the title for it. Kind of like in Game of Thrones, when the series didn't end with Jon Snow being crowned King of Westeros. People were just livid because it wasn't the happy ending and they felt the guy who got the crown didn't deserve (not that GoT was ever a series where people got what they deserved).

People might have empathized with Joel becoming a father figure to Ellie, especially with the loss of his daughter..but let's be honest. Dude denied the world its only shot at a cure, and shot up an entire hospital to boot. He robbed Ellie of a higher purpose, one she desired. Before Ellie, it's strongly hinted at he was a fukked up dude. Him receiving a come-uppance..well, that's just good story telling. Lotta softies couldn't handle that.

You’re right about everything except GOT, I really think that was a huge fukk up by the writers who were in a rush to get the fukk up out of there and had no idea on how to wrap it up in a logical way, not the Jon Skow thing, but literally everything..I think they deserved all of the backlash for that

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
You’re right about everything except GOT, I really think that was a huge fukk up by the writers who were in a rush to get the fukk up out of there and had no idea on how to wrap it up in a logical way, not the Jon Skow thing, but literally everything..I think they deserved all of the backlash for that

‘’I was a huge throne fan and I really don’t mind how everything worked out. It was about as happy as an ending you can get for a story like that. My main issue was the fact that it felt like they were in a mad rush to end it and it underserved a lot of the characters story arcs. Cersei and Jamie dying together was ironic, but how they died was stupid and anti-climatic, Same with damn near everyone. If the show had not shortened it’s last two seasons it would have been fine for me.

They took a TWD approach killing off Joel for perceived shock value, it was a bad decision but not a deal breaker for me.
The lesbian stuff doesn’t affect me.

It wasn’t just for ‘shock value’ though it was the entire point of telling the story. It was the culmination of the decisions of the first game and the precedent for setting the pace of the 2nd game. WIthout the death, there’s no story.

There were people that were like “the story should have been about joel and ellie getting revenge for dina” or that joel should get some big heroic death (because hes such a hero lol), a 60 year old man taking down a bloater with his bare hands to save ellie or some shyt and other cringe ass ideas. It proves that a lot of people just don’t want true change, which is why john wick 4 is coming out and will probably do well in the box office.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Ok.. reading through the other thread, it seems like people are upset they got catfished with the impression of Joel being in the main story. And playing with Abby seems like they snuck it in when Ellie was meant to be the main protagonist. I can understand people’s gripes in that respect.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Ok.. reading through the other thread, it seems like people are upset they got catfished with the impression of Joel being in the main story. And playing with Abby seems like they snuck it in when Ellie was meant to be the main protagonist. I can understand people’s gripes in that respect.

That’s what they call entitlement. No one promised anyone anything but the fact that there’s a game coming out based on another game. It’s not a remake, its a brand new game.

Like, how is that a gripe? You still play as ellie for a majority of the game.

HiiiPower

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That’s what they call entitlement. No one promised anyone anything but the fact that there’s a game coming out based on another game. It’s not a remake, its a brand new game.

this, there was one moron in there who kept trying to convince me we were led to believe Joel we with us for the whole game as a secondary protagonist because he showed up in trailers..he was mad at something HE assumed would be the case..no matter how much I tried to explain to him this was down to him and not the game makers he couldn’t grasp it, literally no where were we told Joel would be a main player in this game

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
this, there was one moron in there who kept trying to convince me we were led to believe Joel we with us for the whole game as a secondary protagonist because he showed up in trailers..he was mad at something HE assumed would be the case..no matter how much I tried to explain to him this was down to him and not the game makers he couldn’t grasp it, literally no where were we told Joel would be a main player in this game

Maybe i just can’t relate because while i did like ellie and joel in the first game, I really am not that attached to him. I also knew that having a grown up ellie and a older joel as playable characters wasn’t likely, simply because i know how movies and games work. I actually expected joel to die in the first game, he was a completely expendable character to me once he got old.

It seems like a lot of people were extremely attached to joel and had some kind of emotional bond with him and it was too much for them to handle when he died. I think maybe he felt like a real father for some people who didn’t really have one or some other psychological shyt.

To me it was like lee from the walking dead, I just always assumed the ‘care-taker’ person would eventually die and the kid would have to grow to survive in the world on their own. But I guess they didn’t have a buff woman bash his brains out either so I dunno....I think it’s the hate for ugly muscley women that added fuel to the fire.

8.TRES

All Star
Daps
This is all truth.

the problem with joel in the second game isn't the fact that he died as it is that his death didn't mean what the writers intended for it to mean

whether you empathize with joel or understand the consequences of his actions, its a fact that the majority of people have a connection with his and ellie's characters instead of abby, who was never introduced up until that point

killing joel wasn't the foundational mistake in the writing; the real issue is that the writers tried to establish the same connection with abby's character in half a game, after introducing her character brutally murdering son

the only way they could have done this is by being mad emotionally manipulative with the portrayal of abby's character; after introducing her as such a negatively charged character, she has to be portrayed as a genuine saint to force people to see her as relatable or worthy of empathy (her and her pops saving the zebra, her giving up her entire life to save some kids)

it comes off as mad inconsistent and choppy with her character and it has none of the nuance that joel and ellie did in the first game, which is why killing off joel is as divisive as it is; the pacing is really the worst part of the story, part 2 as it is right now should have been part 3 and part 2 should have been the introduction to abby's character

i never really get this into a video game but i respect what the writers were trying to do with the story, it was just rushed

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps

I liked the game but I’m being objective. I remember when MGS 2 came out and I was excited watching trailers with Snake on a boat, with no hos (don’t even ask me how). The front cover had Solid Snake. After the “intro” we end up playing as a brand new character that had no connection to MGS. :stopitslime:

To me, that was pulling the old bait and switch. No different to what TLOU 2 did. You put the “protagonist” on the front cover. Make it seem like it’s mainly her journey, and you end up playing 45% of the game as the other “protagonist”. Come on. That’s not entitlement, that’s taking from the MGS 2 playbook.

In fairness though, at least the majority of the game is played as Ellie. I enjoyed the game but I can see how fans who played it at launch felt short changed.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I liked the game but I’m being objective. I remember when MGS 2 came out and I was excited watching trailers with Snake on a boat, with no hos (don’t even ask me how). The front cover had Solid Snake. After the “intro” we end up playing as a brand new character that had no connection to MGS. :stopitslime:

To me, that was pulling the old bait and switch. No different to what TLOU 2 did. You put the “protagonist” on the front cover. Make it seem like it’s mainly her journey, and you end up playing 45% of the game as the other “protagonist”. Come on. That’s not entitlement, that’s taking from the MGS 2 playbook.

In fairness though, at least the majority of the game is played as Ellie. I enjoyed the game but I can see how fans who played it at launch felt short changed.

its also my 2nd favorite game in teh series. I guess im just a sucker for twists like that.:yeshrug:

keep me guessing, keep it fresh. Like i said earlier, if the game isn't a remake, i fully trust the developers to do what they want with the characters in whatever way they feel will make the story better or even just a bit more subversive.

If GoW2 or HZD2 decides to do the same I would be even more excited for them.

Daps

There is also a scene\s where they replaced Jesse's character model with Joel's in the trailer :mjlol:
If they pull some shyt like this for Ragnarok :stopitslime:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
There is also a scene\s where they replaced Jesse's character model with Joel's in the trailer :mjlol:

lets burn down marvel studios also

maxresdefault-28.jpg

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
its also my 2nd favorite game in teh series. I guess im just a sucker for twists like that.:yeshrug:

keep me guessing, keep it fresh. Like i said earlier, if the game isn't a remake, i fully trust the developers to do what they want with the characters in whatever way they feel will make the story better or even just a bit more subversive.

If GoW2 or HZD2 decides to do the same I would be even more excited for them.
Don’t speak that shyt into existence.:ufdup:

The ending annoyed the shyt out of me. Ellie murders 100s of people, only to gain a conscience at the last moment? Clearly someone high up had a hard on for Abby and had shoe horn her in for a potential sequel. It’s not like I didn’t like her character, it just felt contrived on how they tried to draw parallels between her and Ellie.

The best way to describe the ending was like dating a fine broad for months. Never doing anything past kissing. She tells you tonight I’m gonna give you something special. You get to hers, she starts blowing you, eating your ass, sucking your balls. You pull out the rubber and she says “oh no, we can’t go that far. It’s against my religion.”:hhh:

bytch, after all that, now you have a moral conflict? The fukk was the point of all the foreplay if you weren’t gonna let me penetrate? Anti-climatic is an understatement.