The Last AirBender Had Potential To Be Better Than DBZ

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
:why:
So because 1 character uses lighting as a projectile and one uses it in close quarters the two shows aren't similar?
I've already stated that I'm looking at how they use it, not what they use. Just like I wouldn't compare blood blending in ATLA with blood magic in Dragon Age simply because they both use blood.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've already stated that I'm looking at how they use it, not what they use. Just like I wouldn't compare blood blending in ATLA with blood magic in Dragon Age simply because they both use blood.

You're not looking at the WHOLE picture though. Your just comparing 1 specific ability to another regardless of where the two things originate from. I'm comparing Naruto to Avatar and vice versa as a whole.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
You're not looking at the WHOLE picture though. Your just comparing 1 specific ability to another regardless of where the two things originate from. I'm comparing Naruto to Avatar and vice versa as a whole.
I was just comparing their powers so it seems we were having two separate conversations

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was just comparing their powers so it seems we were having two separate conversations

Ok i'll drop down to your convo then.

I've never played Dragon Age but from what I gathered on google Blood magic is just using blood as a resource to increase you ability to cast spells. but I may be wrong.

A blood bender can manipulate blood itself to be used as a weapon.

You can argue that yes, there are similarities but it all depends on the context of your argument.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm using Naruto and Avatar as a context.

It sounds like im saying "Naruto and Avatar are similar because the protagonist are both males."

But your saying "no they're not because Naruto has blond hair and Ang is bald."

But like I said what makes them similar hasn't changed. But that doesn't mean they're aren't differences also. That's obvious and is what makes them similar and not the same.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I'm using Naruto and Avatar as a context.

It sounds like im saying "Naruto and Avatar are similar because the protagonist are both males."

But your saying "no they're not because Naruto has blond hair and Ang is bald."

But like I said what makes them similar hasn't changed. But that doesn't mean they're aren't differences also. That's obvious and is what makes them similar and not the same.
That's not how I was saying it though lol. Again I argue similarities and differences based on how things are executed, not the means they use.

Saying Naruto and Aang are similar because they're males is too simplistic for me because you can easily argue Aang and Vegeta are similar because they're males, too but they're in no way similar.

What I'm saying is Naruto and Aang are similar because they're both carefree and jokers while Aang and Vegas aren't similar because Aang is peaceful while Vegeta isn't.

Hope this makes more sense to where I'm coming from.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's not how I was saying it though lol. Again I argue similarities and differences based on how things are executed, not the means they use.

Saying Naruto and Aang are similar because they're males is too simplistic for me because you can easily argue Aang and Vegeta are similar because they're males, too but they're in no way similar.

What I'm saying is Naruto and Aang are similar because they're both carefree and jokers while Aang and Vegas aren't similar because Aang is peaceful while Vegeta isn't.

Hope this makes more sense to where I'm coming from.
Like I said I'm trying to keep it within the realm of context.

Context being Naruto and Avatar and stemming from the similarities of jutsu's and bending.

I'm saying they are similar.

Your saying "No, they are different."

But of course they have differences otherwise they would be the same thing and NOT just similar to each other.

Bending requires chi, Jutsu's require chakra. Different in name but very similar by design.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Like I said I'm trying to keep it within the realm of context.

Context being Naruto and Avatar and stemming from the similarities of jutsu's and bending.

I'm saying they are similar.

Your saying "No, they are different."

But of course they have differences otherwise they would be the same thing and NOT just similar to each other.

Bending requires chi, Jutsu's require chakra. Different in name but very similar by design.

That I can agree are similarities though. I feel like you keep changing the conversation, first it was bending vs justus; then it was the entire concept of the show; now it's how bending using chi and justus use chakra. It's getting kind of hard to follow the conversation when we keep changing what we're comparing.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
All subjective and a matter of opinion. But its not really a debatable issue like i clarified in my earlier post.

Nobody is acting like he didn't make it up as he went along...

More subjective opinions... but please continue comparing quality between animes that came out 20 years apart:beli:
Straight up if people are comparing DBZ a series that stopped airing 20 years ago to one that is currently airing new episodes on television right now, then DBZ already won :manny:
read the thread title and tell me that's not a subjective statement. all opinions are subjective. I wouldn't compare DBZ to Avatar had this thread not appeared. It's not even a question to me Avatar is better in almost every avenue from animation quality, to writing, to characters, to story telling, to pacing, to humor.

DBZ to me is like a boxing match. There's a bunch of undercard fights you really don't care about and then there's the main event you wanna see. It's padded to the brim with filler and even the manga canon has filler fights between weak mofos you couldn't care less about. DBZ is old as fukk, it's been surpassed by many a series. I respect it as a classic and a pioneer but I'm not gonna pretend like it's a textbook example of quality in the modern era. Shonen like Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece have surpassed DBZ and while they benefited from what it did back then they're better than it and so is Avatar.

I put DBZ in the same class as I put Sailor Moon for magic girl shows. An old pioneer that paved the way and was great for its time but has been surpassed.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
read the thread title and tell me that's not a subjective statement. all opinions are subjective. I wouldn't compare DBZ to Avatar had this thread not appeared. It's not even a question to me Avatar is better in almost every avenue from animation quality, to writing, to characters, to story telling, to pacing, to humor.

DBZ to me is like a boxing match. There's a bunch of undercard fights you really don't care about and then there's the main event you wanna see. It's padded to the brim with filler and even the manga canon has filler fights between weak mofos you couldn't care less about. DBZ is old as fukk, it's been surpassed by many a series. I respect it as a classic and a pioneer but I'm not gonna pretend like it's a textbook example of quality in the modern era. Shonen like Fullmetal Alchemist and One Piece have surpassed DBZ and while they benefited from what it did back then they're better than it and so is Avatar.

I put DBZ in the same class as I put Sailor Moon for magic girl shows. An old pioneer that paved the way and was great for its time but has been surpassed.

Then your contradicting yourself because you just tried to put it in TLA in the same class as DBZ. So by your statement you can compare Avatar to Sailor moon...

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That I can agree are similarities though. I feel like you keep changing the conversation, first it was bending vs justus; then it was the entire concept of the show; now it's how bending using chi and justus use chakra. It's getting kind of hard to follow the conversation when we keep changing what we're comparing.
Your right the convo did drift quite a bit because I was going back and forth between the shows being similar to just the abilities.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Then your contradicting yourself because you just tried to put it in TLA in the same class as DBZ. So by your statement you can compare Avatar to Sailor moon...
No I put TLA above DBZ in terms of quality. TLA isn't an old classic.

I love Sailor Moon but because it's old and I enjoyed it at the time I won't sit up here and pretend like Magic Girl Madoka isn't a better anime.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
Your right the convo did drift quite a bit because I was going back and forth between the shows being similar to just the abilities.
The shows I feel are similar but the abilities (as in how they use it, not what they use) aren't

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No I put TLA above DBZ in terms of quality. TLA isn't an old classic.

I love Sailor Moon but because it's old and I enjoyed it at the time I won't sit up here and pretend like Magic Girl Madoka isn't a better anime.
Whether its Above or Below that's still putting it in the same class...

Your saying This Apple(TLA) is better than that orange(DBZ) because this Apple(TLA) taste like an apple and that orange(DBZ) taste like an orange.

Apples and Oranges

Other than both series being animated I just don't see enough similarities to compare the two.

If you wanna say TLA had a better story then that's fine. But don't act like what made DBZ "DBZ" was its story...

Because your hyping up TLA like its strong point is its story and if thats the case than compare it to another anime or show that excels at the same thing. (story driven)

Because I can tell you right now most DBZ fans cant find any anime with a WORSE story than DBZ and im just being honest.

Edit: Lol on any given day you'll see a thread about how bad DBZ's story was, whether it be how bad of a father Goku was or how much of a giant L vegeta was on this very forum. shyt this thread right now is talking down on DBZ's story and aint nobody even trying to defend it.

Last edited: