The Last AirBender Had Potential To Be Better Than DBZ

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think it's totally different than Naruto Jutsu.

You think its better?
Avatar has a better story, it's funnier overall, the writing and dialog are better, the pacing is better, the overall cast is better. As a series Avatar gets better as it goes along and is at it's peak when it ends.

DBZ is entertaining but let's not act like dude wasn't making it up as he went along and the quality is all over the place the Majin Buu saga in-particular. The best DBZ had to offer was the Frieza and Cell sagas. As far as I'm concerned the rest of it can go in the trash bin. If DBZ was just those two i'd give it the nod over Avatar. As a complete work I can't.

onelastdeath

Banned
Daps
Avatar has a better story, it's funnier overall, the writing and dialog are better, the pacing is better, the overall cast is better. As a series Avatar gets better as it goes along and is at it's peak when it ends.

DBZ is entertaining but let's not act like dude wasn't making it up as he went along and the quality is all over the place the Majin Buu saga in-particular. The best DBZ had to offer was the Frieza and Cell sagas. As far as I'm concerned the rest of it can go in the trash bin. If DBZ was just those two i'd give it the nod over Avatar. As a complete work I can't.
I'm going through TLA for a third time now, and it still feels good. I don't see myself losing interest with it yet. I still find myself laughing at the dialogue and amazed at some of the fighting sequences,

I tried to watch DBZ again last month starting from the beginning, but there's way way too much filler. As a kid you don't mind,but when you're older you notice it. Like I said above, the highs of DBZ are incredible, but there's a lot of bullshyt in between just to get there.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Naw it's way different. The way they have to move with the elements in order to control and direct where they're going is different than making symbols with your hands and stuff just appearing and doing whatever it's supposed to do.

It's the same thing in theory. but obviously its not the EXACT same thing but the premise is about the same. A select few people in the world have the ability to manipulate the elements/ki.

Put Zabauza in TLA EXACTLY how he was in naruto and he would fit perfectly as a water bender..

Put Garra in TLA EXACTLY how he was in naruto and he would fit perfectly as a earth bender...

Hell even Sasukes fire jutsus are basically fire bending

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

All subjective and a matter of opinion. But its not really a debatable issue like i clarified in my earlier post.

Nobody is acting like he didn't make it up as he went along...

More subjective opinions... but please continue comparing quality between animes that came out 20 years apart:beli:
Straight up if people are comparing DBZ a series that stopped airing 20 years ago to one that is currently airing new episodes on television right now, then DBZ already won :manny:

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
It's the same thing in theory. but obviously its not the EXACT same thing but the premise is about the same. A select few people in the world have the ability to manipulate the elements/ki.

Put Zabauza in TLA EXACTLY how he was in naruto and he would fit perfectly as a water bender..

Put Garra in TLA EXACTLY how he was in naruto and he would fit perfectly as a earth bender...

Hell even Sasukes fire jutsus are basically fire bending
A lot of the Justus aren't even elemental though, then you have shadow clones etc. Just because they're both using elemental manipulation (which isn't even the unique part I was talking about) doesn't mean their similar. When I said AT LA was unique, I meant mixing different forms of martial arts in order to manipulate the elements, not the actual manipulation itself.

King Koopa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The 8-4 and fiery moats
All subjective and a matter of opinion. But its not really a debatable issue like i clarified in my earlier post.

Nobody is acting like he didn't make it up as he went along...

More subjective opinions... but please continue comparing quality between animes that came out 20 years apart:beli:
Straight up if people are comparing DBZ a series that stopped airing 20 years ago to one that is currently airing new episodes on television right now, then DBZ already won :manny:
I know right. Dudes get tired of the same "just cuz it's old doesn't mean it's better" argument. I know hearing that is hella annoying, but that doesn't imply in this case. You just can't compare the two cuz the times were so different straight up. Last AirBender wouldn't be the same if it came out 20 years ago. DBZ wouldn't be the same if it came out now. It isn't a cop out, but it's common sense :heh:. I've never seen Last AirBender, but I'm sure it's better than DBZ in multiple catagories. shyt's not the same tho, just two popular cartoons. A better comparison would be DBZ with other shonen titles. But even then, they're just shows with cut and paste DBZ formulas with improved plots and interactions. But it's obvious to improve quality when you have source material from decades ago to study.

How many shows try to copy the Goku and Vegeta characters and their rivalry :mjpls:

For my AirBender watchers, are there any characters that you would consider as iconic as those two?

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I know right. Dudes get tired of the same "just cuz it's old doesn't mean it's better" argument. I know hearing that is hella annoying, but that doesn't imply in this case. You just can't compare the two cuz the times were so different straight up. Last AirBender wouldn't be the same if it came out 20 years ago. DBZ wouldn't be the same if it came out now. It isn't a cop out, but it's common sense :heh:. I've never seen Last AirBender, but I'm sure it's better than DBZ in multiple catagories. shyt's not the same tho, just two popular cartoons. A better comparison would be DBZ with other shonen titles. But even then, they're just shows with cut and paste DBZ formulas with improved plots and interactions. But it's obvious to improve quality when you have source material from decades ago to study.

How many shows try to copy the Goku and Vegeta characters and their rivalry :mjpls:

For my AirBender watchers, are there any characters that you would consider as iconic as those two?
Aang and Zuko

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of the Justus aren't even elemental though, then you have shadow clones etc. Just because they're both using elemental manipulation (which isn't even the unique part I was talking about) doesn't mean their similar. When I said AT LA was unique, I meant mixing different forms of martial arts in order to manipulate the elements, not the actual manipulation itself.
I'm not saying jutsu's are bending or vice versa, I'm saying the general ability/powers are very similar.

When Garaa fights Rock Lee during the chunin exams you can't tell me that don't look like some form of earth bending. Regardless of what it ACTUALLY is it still looks like the same stuff.

True, Justu's are way more intricate and deal with way more than just the elements but the end results are pretty much the same.

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
I'm not saying jutsu's are bending or vice versa, I'm saying the general ability/powers are very similar.

When Garaa fights Rock Lee during the chunin exams you can't tell me that don't look like some form of earth bending. Regardless of what it ACTUALLY is it still looks like the same stuff.

True, Justu's are way more intricate and deal with way more than just the elements but the end results are pretty much the same.
We can agree to disagree

Arishok

No
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 'Go
nah, we're just on different wave lengths.
Alright man, I just feel like it's an unfair comparison to say "they both use elements, they're so similar", cuz the same can be said for sandman from spiderman, magneto, terra from teen titans, games like Dragon Age where if you're a mage you can use elemental magic, etc.

Airtrack360

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Alright man, I just feel like it's an unfair comparison to say "they both use elements, they're so similar", cuz the same can be said for sandman from spiderman, magneto, terra from teen titans, games like Dragon Age where if you're a mage you can use elemental magic, etc.
I see what your saying.

But take any bender from avatar and put them in naruto and its just another jutsu...
That is were I see the similarity. Now you can put any back story into explaining it but the end result just about the same.