THE LANGUAGE OF GOD (Good Lecture)

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
Oh, so you don’t believe there’s some hidden/secret meaning in the text of the Torah at all?
I don't remember saying that.

I’m not saying there needs to be anything like that to “prove God is real” or make the Bible seem like a “miraculous book” (like Muslims would claim about the Quran) but Hebrew language is interesting

I know @MMS knows a little about gematria but that’s another topic :manny:
As fascinating as it may be, gimaṭr'ya cannot be used to 'prove' anything. It is just a device used at the deeper levels of Jewish exegesis.

• Dap
Reactions: MMS

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL

As fascinating as it may be, gimaṭr'ya cannot be used to 'prove' anything. It is just a device used at the deeper levels of Jewish exegesis.
i can confirm this

however, the odd thing that arose in the other thread that I can't rule out. Is the interaction of gematrias between different languages but share the same numeric pattern

it would be an odd union
giphy.gif

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
i can confirm this

however, the odd thing that arose in the other thread that I can't rule out. Is the interaction of gematrias between different languages but share the same numeric pattern

it would be an odd union
giphy.gif
There may be similar systems in other languages, but gimar'ya applies only to the Hebrew alphabet.

• Dap

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
There may be similar systems in other languages, but gimar'ya applies only to the Hebrew alphabet.
what about "within" hebrew or rather the immediate parents and offshoots of the language say like Aramaic or Arabic

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL

By Jewish exegesis do you mean Jewish “mysticism”?

Is it basically used for those who are looking for a deeper hidden meaning or to unlock extra “special” knowledge?

It’s like people want to “prove” the text itself is the proof instead of the “word” being the evidence God is real.

• Dap

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
By Jewish exegesis do you mean Jewish “mysticism”?

Is it basically used for those who are looking for a deeper hidden meaning or to unlock extra “special” knowledge?

It’s like people want to “prove” the text itself is the proof instead of the “word” being the evidence God is real.
as far as i know exegesis is like a term meaning the same thing as "extended commentary"

the talmud for example is an extended commentary on the tanakh but not a substitute for it

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
as far as i know exegesis is like a term meaning the same thing as "extended commentary"

the talmud for example is an extended commentary on the tanakh but not a substitute for it

So basically Jewish “hadiths”

• Dap

MMS

Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
So basically Jewish “hadiths”
somewhat

but the commentaries come from "peer reviewed" rabbis if you will

alot of what people disagree with Jews about really comes from the commentaries rather than the Tanakh itself. Because the ideas in the talmud frame their perspective, so from the outside looking in, it looks like they follow the talmud

How-to-Inspect-a-Diamond-With-a-Loupe-3.jpg

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
what about "within" hebrew
As far as... its significance? Numerous minhagim (customs) have resulted from the use of gimaṭr'ya.

or rather the immediate parents and offshoots of the language say like Aramaic or Arabic
Aramaic is written (by Jews) in Hebrew characters. And, if I am not mistaken, Arabic does have a numerical system for their alphabet.

• Dap

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
By Jewish exegesis
In Judaism we have thirteen clearly defined exegetical rules according to which the Tοrah is interpreted and these are considered so important that they were incorporated into the formal Jewish prayer-liturgy so that every Jew should be able to recite them by heart:

do you mean Jewish “mysticism”?
Not necessarily, no. Gimaṭr'ya in particular, yes; but it is not applied to the literal text, so it never affects the actual meaning of any verse.

It is a kind of mid'rash, basically a derived 'flight of fancy' intended to teach some supplementary message.

Again, it is not meant to 'prove' anything.

• Dap

Koichos

Pro
Daps
Reppin
K'lal Yisraʾel
What is the Hebrew word for “thought”?
מחשבה
Is the “logos” part of a concept borrowed from Greek philosophy?
The concept is Greek and it only works as such; if you try to write it in Hebrew it just makes nonsense.
בְְּרֵֵאשִִׁית הָָָָיָָָָה הַַדָָָָּבָָָָר וְְהַַדָָָָּבָָָָר הָָָָיָָָָה אֵֵת הָָָָאֱֱֱֱלֺֺהִִים וֵֵאלֺֺהִִים הָָָָיָָָָה הַַדָָָָּבָָָָר׃
At the beginning of was the thing and the thing was with the God and God was the thing. (B'sοrah 'al pi Yοħanan 1:1, Delitzsch)

בְְּרֵֵאשִִׁית הָָָָיָָָָה הַַדָָָָּבָָָָר וְְהַַדָָָָּבָָָָר הָָָָיָָָָה אֶֶֶֶת־הָָָָאֱֱֱֱלֺֺהִִים וְְהוּא הַַדָָָָּבָָָָר הָָָָיָָָָה אֱֱֱֱלֺֺהִִים׃
At the beginning of was the thing and the thing was with the God and that thing was a god. (B'sοrah 'al pi Yοħanan 1:1, Salkinson)

Didn’t it exist at the time of 2nd temple Judaism?
What difference does it make?

• Haha

DoubleClutch

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
מחשבה

The concept is Greek and it only works as such; if you try to write it in Hebrew it just makes nonsense.

What difference does it make?

Well, considering how the earliest Christians were Jews. Maybe the concept had already been adapted to Judaism or translated to make sense to them in Greek. Remember Jewish people had already been exiled and was already influenced by other cultures.

But regardless, the “word of God” is a Jewish creation. Maybe not unlike how the “angel of the lord” is to be understanding.

Also I think the translation is more close to:

“Machshava”