The job search, interview and negotiation thread

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Here's my little PSA for guys applying to Google: Come with your shyt together or don't come at all. I took their assessment this morning without any real preparation and it was a huge mistake. I couldn't even submit a working example let alone something "Google" quality. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more so you don't wind up feeling like an idiot. With about 15 minutes left to go I damn near felt like crying :to:

I second this
I turned down an interview from google and two separate interviews from amazon because of this
if you ain't been practicing for like 3-6 months don't even play yourself is my advice
i rather turn down an interview, keep the HR contact and hit them at a later date then accept unprepared completely bomb and never get invited back

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
What do yall say when recruiters ask for your previous salary?

I know it's a negotiating L to reveal since you then will be negotiating against that number, but i always end up buckling and telling them

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What about being out of state?
And how do you network when your out of state.

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
Hey Coli,

Got an interview coming up (Tues 2/7) with Wells Fargo within their Corporate Trust division. The position is for an Analyst position. The area of focus is in Leveraged Loan Services and Collateralized Loan Obligations.

Do any of you guys have a short book/pdf I could use as a crash course on this segment of the financial industry?

Thanks in advance.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
hmm that is a pretty niche topic

I would say get to reading deeply on a subset of those two topics?

have you ever done anything similar to that?

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
hmm that is a pretty niche topic

I would say get to reading deeply on a subset of those two topics?

have you ever done anything similar to that?

Not really. I do understand that both instruments are forms of CDOs. And I understand these are types of debts that are used to finance transactions. I took a class in money and banking in colllege, didn't do so well but I understand some of the basics of loans, bonds etc.

I know this doesn't count but I read Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis (he wrote the Big Short) and the book, all though semi-fictional, has some insights on the workings of CDOs.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Not really. I do understand that both instruments are forms of CDOs. And I understand these are types of debts that are used to finance transactions. I took a class in money and banking in colllege, didn't do so well but I understand some of the basics of loans, bonds etc.

I know this doesn't count but I read Liar's Poker by Michael Lewis (he wrote the Big Short) and the book, all though semi-fictional, has some insights on the workings of CDOs.

I would say prepare as best you can

And prepare to be able to speak very credibly about one or two aspects on one of those topics...

See if you can get the name of the person(s) who will be conducting your interview...and if possible read up about them..

Good Luck

And remember even if you are unsuccessful use the interview to learn something....follow up with a good thank you letter

I will post a thank you template for you....

And DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CURRENT OR FORMER SALARY

phcitywarrior

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Naija / DMV
I would say prepare as best you can

And prepare to be able to speak very credibly about one or two aspects on one of those topics...

See if you can get the name of the person(s) who will be conducting your interview...and if possible read up about them..

Good Luck

And remember even if you are unsuccessful use the interview to learn something....follow up with a good thank you letter

I will post a thank you template for you....

And DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR CURRENT OR FORMER SALARY

Thanks a lot man. I have a friend at Morgan Stanley who's going to give me some insight on some financial instruments.

I'll keep a look out for your thank you note.

This interview is for a 90-day temp position which upon successful completion morphs into a FT role. Good thing is a successful interview will allow me start the temp role by 2/13.

Also have an interview with a major hoteling franchisor coming up soon as well.

Petty Crocker

Looking GREAT in my 30s
Daps
I half assed applied for this Quality Analyst position a few weeks ago. :ehh:
I get an email last week from the staffing agency about wanting to schedule a phone interview when I have time. :ohhh:

Horrible timing. I been out here cutting up for superbowl week. I havent responded to the email because Im not prepared to interview. :snoop: I'm wondering when I do respond, will it be too late? :lupe:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I half assed applied for this Quality Analyst position a few weeks ago. :ehh:
I get an email last week from the staffing agency about wanting to schedule a phone interview when I have time. :ohhh:

Horrible timing. I been out here cutting up for superbowl week. I havent responded to the email because Im not prepared to interview. :snoop: I'm wondering when I do respond, will it be too late? :lupe:

It shouldnt be

Take the time to send a quality response tho

MMS

Intensity Integrity Intelligence
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Auburn, AL
as a STEM guy heres my two cents regarding resumes

1. Accomplishments utilizing the tools you have
2. Proof of engagement with groups

there are millions of people out there with your credentials, what sets you apart is your ability to utilize them and how well you work with others.

4-Rin

Superstar
Daps
What do yall say when recruiters ask for your previous salary?

I know it's a negotiating L to reveal since you then will be negotiating against that number, but i always end up buckling and telling them

If you don't make much and are looking for a nice increase, give them a range. If you make 50K a year, say you earn 60K - 75K. If they ask why it's a huge range tell them it varies on bonus and stock :russ:
This works for jobs in public companies. Now they'll have to give you a bump based on 75K so you might get 80K minimum and even if they match 75K that's still a 50% bump :youngsabo:
Some companies will verify your pay through the background check before they hire you though. A cat at my previous job got his offer rescinded cause he lied about his pay and degree :martin:

If you're in the 6 figure club there is no harm telling the actual amount you make just let them know off top if you're looking for more. HR already has a pay range for the position, it's one of the reasons they ask how much you make. If they can't afford you they'll let you know. Don't tell them the specific amount you're looking to make just say you're looking for an increase that fits the position.

These are tactics that worked for me in the rat race :lowlife:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
again I ask...

Why are you guys so quick to cough up your salary number? They havent even given you a fukking job offer or a statement of interest or a fully fleshed out list of duties?

They havent given you any potential contract details like non-compete clauses etc

But you are out here vomiting up salary figures?.....

Like @4-Rin said....at best you can give them a range.....thats it!!