The job search, interview and negotiation thread

sosaa

All Star
Daps
How much weight do yall put into online reviews, namely from Glassdoor, of certain companies? Its some places I wanna work at that I been reading some sheisty ass shyt about but I said fukk it and sent in an application anyway and look to follow up. Should I be takin these online reviews more seriously so Im not burnin up my time or are the majority of those bad reviews left by scornful nikkas?

the artist known az

Hail the victors
Daps
Reppin
TSC FA' Life #ByrdGang
How much weight do yall put into online reviews, namely from Glassdoor, of certain companies? Its some places I wanna work at that I been reading some sheisty ass shyt about but I said fukk it and sent in an application anyway and look to follow up. Should I be takin these online reviews more seriously so Im not burnin up my time or are the majority of those bad reviews left by scornful nikkas?
It might be dead on if you see reviews that are similar. I know my old job has lots of negative reviews & are legit. I was told by old coworkers that the job has been posting positive reviews on there

jilla82

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
the internet
IMO this is the best video on how to get the job you want.

You have to be active and go after it...
...the send a resume in and pray strategy is lame and is for people who arent trying to take control of their lives.

Pick up the phone and try your best to get in front of the real decision makers (not HR).
You will be amazed at the people that are open to having lunch with you.

This is one thing I wish I knew after highschool.
We are taught to think like robots...sad, scared robots.

Go out there and get yours...behave like the people of the world that are making moves.
Stop being passive...nobody respects that shyt.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
So I mentioned in The College Thread, I believe, that a professor of mine hooked me up with a HR person at Google. I shot the HR rep a couple of emails and he ended up referring me to another person; initially I was hesitant on that since I felt like I was being pawned off on someone else for an eventual rejection. But I got in contact with this new HR person and we set up a time to talk. That was supposed to happen on Tuesday, but thanks to some miscommunication ( :mjcry: ) we had to reschedule for today. I expected him to be a little upset but he was really cordial and enthusiastic :ehh:. I was hoping to get fast tracked in :mjgrin: but he pretty much pointed me towards a different position within Google. Basically you're an employee for a year, they groom you to work at Google, and if you're good enough then they'll probably hire you on full time. Here's a shortlist of what he asked me:
  • Most proficient language (If it's C# like it was for me :ufdup: , get into C++ and Java)
  • A recent project you worked on that was a success
  • Familiarity with Google products
  • Your areas of expertise (I flubbed this a bit :snoop: )
  • If you have a GitHub (If you don't :ufdup: )
  • Open to relocation (Basically to the Bay Area [I would have preferred Orange County :francis:])
  • When you think you'll be ready to start the process
  • Are you talking to any other recruiters

The position I'd be going for is 2 45 minute phone interviews, then a series of on-site interviews if you make it that far. Like I mentioned before, or in another thread, basically be prepared for anything. Data structures, algorithms, logic and reasoning, Big O notation, writing clean and efficient syntax, thinking out loud, asking clarifying questions, things of that nature. I have about 5 months to prepare so I have no excuses if I don't nail this shyt :francis:. Time to dive in.

allshaftnohead

Refuse to believe it's not butter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago

You gotta take it with a grain of salt, but if there are a ton of bad reviews, you gotta stop and think about it. A friend of mine took a job that had horrible glassdoor reviews because she was just looking, and it ended up ruining 9-5s for her for a while. She sent me all of these reviews after and said she really wish she had listened to them more.

At the end of the day it's up to you, but if there is something that seems like a red flag, it's at least worth trying to figure out what's going on

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So I mentioned in The College Thread, I believe, that a professor of mine hooked me up with a HR person at Google. I shot the HR rep a couple of emails and he ended up referring me to another person; initially I was hesitant on that since I felt like I was being pawned off on someone else for an eventual rejection. But I got in contact with this new HR person and we set up a time to talk. That was supposed to happen on Tuesday, but thanks to some miscommunication ( :mjcry: ) we had to reschedule for today. I expected him to be a little upset but he was really cordial and enthusiastic :ehh:. I was hoping to get fast tracked in :mjgrin: but he pretty much pointed me towards a different position within Google. Basically you're an employee for a year, they groom you to work at Google, and if you're good enough then they'll probably hire you on full time. Here's a shortlist of what he asked me:
  • Most proficient language (If it's C# like it was for me :ufdup: , get into C++ and Java)
  • Open to relocation (Basically to the Bay Area [I would have preferred Orange County :francis:])

The position I'd be going for is 2 45 minute phone interviews, then a series of on-site interviews if you make it that far. Like I mentioned before, or in another thread, basically be prepared for anything. Data structures, algorithms, logic and reasoning, Big O notation, writing clean and efficient syntax, thinking out loud, asking clarifying questions, things of that nature. I have about 5 months to prepare so I have no excuses if I don't nail this shyt :francis:. Time to dive in.
:salute:

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn

Good luck my boy recently got a software engineer job at google. Relocated to cali and all :wow:

He said this book was a HUGE help. The questions in here were harder than what was asked he told me.
51F6Lwyq5JL._SX348_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Good luck my boy recently got a software engineer job at google. Relocated to cali and all :wow:

He said this book was a HUGE help. The questions in here were harder than what was asked he told me.
Good looking out. The dude actually emailed me the 4th edition of the book. I already have the 5th and 6th. I've been slowly working through it, but I need to pick up the pace. The problem I'm having is thinking too much about efficiency rather than solving the problem. I'm also not cool with having to come up with a solution in 30 minutes :francis:. My thinking is that if you need to come up with production code in that short amount of time then you made some serious missteps earlier in the development process. You'll get either an elegant solution or a quick fix out of me, but it ain't gonna be both :francis:.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Good looking out. The dude actually emailed me the 4th edition of the book. I already have the 5th and 6th. I've been slowly working through it, but I need to pick up the pace. The problem I'm having is thinking too much about efficiency rather than solving the problem. I'm also not cool with having to come up with a solution in 30 minutes :francis:. My thinking is that if you need to come up with production code in that short amount of time then you made some serious missteps earlier in the development process. You'll get either an elegant solution or a quick fix out of me, but it ain't gonna be both :francis:.

Your github will sell your talents far more than any interview will

If you have a repository with > 50K lines of solid code doing useful things you will have doors opened for you

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Your github will sell your talents far more than any interview will

If you have a repository with > 50K lines of solid code doing useful things you will have doors opened for you
He asked about it and I gave it to him. I uploaded a class project earlier in the day in preparation. I need to go back and clean up some of my other repositories though. No documentation, hastily thrown together. I might as well tackle that now since I'm sat here doing nothing.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
For my tech folks and even non-tech folks looking for gigs in the startup world checkout angel.co/jobs. It's job search engine focused on startup gigs.

Other good places to check (for general jobs): Glassdoor, Indeed, LinkedIn, Monster, and Diversityjobs

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Make sure ya'll work LinkedIn. I don't know how recently it was, but they updated the UI finally :ahh:. In the jobs section you can basically publish your intent for a job, so work that angle. Any projects you worked on throw up there, make your profile representative of your abilities so that you can get some interest.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
I just had an interview I think it went really well. Was surprised I even got the interview to be honest so would be shocked if I get offered the job.

Strange thing is I never usually get nervous before but the gravity of this shyt hit me yesterday and I was a wreck. Woke up fine this morning practiced the presentation I had and just sat on teams waiting for the time.

Like a weights been lifted off my shoulders