The job search, interview and negotiation thread

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Follow up about 2 weeks after......Ideally I would say about 10 business days
I agree with this. Make sure you send a thank you email right after the interview though. After that wait ten days before contacting because you want to come off as enthusiastic not pushy.

Is it too awkward to add someone on Linkedin that interviewed you for a position that you didn't end up getting?

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I agree with this. Make sure you send a thank you email right after the interview though. After that wait ten days before contacting because you want to come off as enthusiastic not pushy.

Is it too awkward to add someone on Linkedin that interviewed you for a position that you didn't end up getting?

Absolutely not

You should attempt to remain cordial...you can even send something like "hey I came across this article in your field that I think you may be interested in"...yadda yadda yadda

I

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I've been doing a job search for the past 6-8 months, not a single call back. I'm stuck at a dead end job with an a$$hole boss, this shyt is killing me. I'm starting to get depressed wtf.

What are you doing, what are your credentials and where are you trying to go?

How often do you job search? Remember, this shyt is a job in itself

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
What are you doing, what are your credentials and where are you trying to go?

How often do you job search? Remember, this shyt is a job in itself

Dappage

Job searching is a full time job. Which by the way shouldnt stop when you have a job either.

What I think brehs need to do is stop volume sending resumes and applications....

Focus on looking for 5-8 jobs a week...tailoring their resumes to the job description and researching the company.

More success and less fustration ...I guarantee it.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
Dappage

Job searching is a full time job. Which by the way shouldnt stop when you have a job either.

What I think brehs need to do is stop volume sending resumes and applications....

Focus on looking for 5-8 jobs a week...tailoring their resumes to the job description and researching the company.

More success and less fustration ...I guarantee it.

Also, the higher you go, the lower your options become. People aren't really trying to do lateral moves, nor should they. So, when I'm back out looking in the summer time, I'm going for director level or higher in healthcare administration. Why? My education, experience and current salary dictates that is what I should be looking for. I'm overqualified for things beneath that. Director jobs aren't that plentiful so I will have to likely use a headhunter as well and my submission rate will be low.

However, @SadimirPutin gave beautiful advice. You really need to customize your stuff to fit what it is they are looking for. That stock resume works for McDonald's, not Microsoft.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
Also, the higher you go, the lower your options become. People aren't really trying to do lateral moves, nor should they. So, when I'm back out looking in the summer time, I'm going for director level or higher in healthcare administration. Why? My education, experience and current salary dictates that is what I should be looking for. I'm overqualified for things beneath that. Director jobs aren't that plentiful so I will have to likely use a headhunter as well and my submission rate will be low.

However, @SadimirPutin gave beautiful advice. You really need to customize your stuff to fit what it is they are looking for. That stock resume works for McDonald's, not Microsoft.
Both of you are spot on about customizing your resume for a gig. I recently lost an opportunity because my resume wasn't completely tailored for a position. I had a good amount of experience in the field but it wasn't promantly featured on my resume. More econ rather than policy was featured and they questioned me about it. I could speak to policy stuff but at that point it's an uphill battle.

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
What are some great job searching websites besides indeed, monster, and Craigslist?

Also, what advice would you give someone who may want to potentially move to another location (state)? As far as your telephone number, securing the job before hand etc

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
What are some great job searching websites besides indeed, monster, and Craigslist?

Also, what advice would you give someone who may want to potentially move to another location (state)? As far as your telephone number, securing the job before hand etc

Linkedin is a great site to job hunt breh. Outside of that, you are going to have to go to a lot of company websites to see what is out there for you. Knowing your value and worth is a guiding principle to knowing where you might fit in best.

BrokePhiBroke

Superstar
Daps
Linkedin is a great site to job hunt breh. Outside of that, you are going to have to go to a lot of company websites to see what is out there for you. Knowing your value and worth is a guiding principle to knowing where you might fit in best.
Thanks and I'm a woman lol

Is Linkedin good for trades as well are just corporate?

Last edited:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Thanks and I'm a woman lol

Is Linkedin good for trades as well are just corporate?

ah a brehette :salute::salute:

I would say LinkedIn should be good for about any profession....You should trade association groups as well.

Also and I tell people this all the time. BE PREPARED THAT YOU MIGHT NOT END UP WORKING IN THE FIELD YOU STUDIED IN.

Many degrees have skills that translate into other professions...Do not be afraid of switching up. Look for an interesting job where your skills can apply.

Good at building web pages...you can get into marketing.

Good at accounts: Become a concierge bookkeeper for families,small firms, busy individuals

I used to work in IT....now I am starting a company that deals in concierge services. The first three services will be medication pickup and delivery, bill payment services and small package and document courier services. With a lot of other shyt to come down the road after we become really good at these first three.

Find a company you want to work for and see if you can find out as many of their executives as possible. After that and this is the trick, if they are local to you see if you can find out their salespeople and the secretaries/personal assistants that work at the company..

They are a trove of information..

Search "networking email template" in google for some good scripts to use when attempting to contact people for networking. I have used some of them. They are excellent and sound professional.

Scholar

Superstar
Daps
In interviews I try to be friendly, laugh, and smile. I'm wondering if I'm doing it too much and should just be :birdman: so they know I'm legit. The balance is hard to find

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
In interviews I try to be friendly, laugh, and smile. I'm wondering if I'm doing it too much and should just be :birdman: so they know I'm legit. The balance is hard to find

Be polite...smile occasionally..if they offer a joke play along

Its part of the game unfortunately...but be firm on your boundaries if they start asking questions they shouldnt

and DONT REVEAL YOUR CURRENT OR PAST SALARY

PrnzHakeem

FKA LilNukka
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Haven
Dope thread. Can't really add shyt other than keep your LinkedIn current. I get headhunters hollering at me for jobs they want me to apply to. Even if you have no intention on applying, be courteous, etc. Never know when they will come thru on something you need.

Also, if you happen to meet someone in HR that has access to salary survey data, get on their good side. They might could hook you up with the same salary data the companies use to make their pay decisions.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
For the brehs and brehettes in here

I will be dropping some tips, email templates and other information for those of you on the job hunt over the next few days