SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
always kept my resume one page:yeshrug:

Planned and redesigned existing standalone web application

this was during planning stages my team and I had to redesign an
website for a client, just wanted it to look modern and a mobile
site to go with it.

• Conducted system tests weekly and daily code reviews.
my team did code reviews every morning and mondays we did a system test where
we tested the front and the backend or did integration testing

• Formulated and implemented plans for development of large scale web applications

a dept at my job needed a web applicaton to automate a task they had been doing manually
through excel. It was an account manager. the app takes a file of accounts from the gov and loads uploads them
to the database. from there using the gui, the casworker could close,audit,edit,...accounts I had a small team of 4. I helped to implement the database as well as the user interface.

• Provided technical expertise to business and analytical staff

the department the application was written for asked for us for time/cost measurements
and we got to pick the best technology to create the app and make it maintainable. when
the app deployed to the dept, i wrote the tutorial and my team instructed the staff on
how to use the new application.

See even here how much more informative those extra details add to your resume. I will be back later to show you how you can add some of those details to give your resume a better reading punch on the page

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
Got my Bachelors with a triple major in Business Mgmt, Sports Mgmt, HR Mgmt and can't get a damn interview anywhere.... :stopitslime:

I've applied all over the country... except Florida... fukk Florida and your gators, pythons, anacondas, and big ass mosquitoes

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Got my Bachelors with a triple major in Business Mgmt, Sports Mgmt, HR Mgmt and can't get a damn interview anywhere.... :stopitslime:

I've applied all over the country... except Florida... fukk Florida and your gators, pythons, anacondas, and big ass mosquitoes

it can be tough

Post your resume with the important personal info redacted and let us give you a critique.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Here's my little PSA for guys applying to Google: Come with your shyt together or don't come at all. I took their assessment this morning without any real preparation and it was a huge mistake. I couldn't even submit a working example let alone something "Google" quality. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more so you don't wind up feeling like an idiot. With about 15 minutes left to go I damn near felt like crying :to:

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
Here's my little PSA for guys applying to Google: Come with your shyt together or don't come at all. I took their assessment this morning without any real preparation and it was a huge mistake. I couldn't even submit a working example let alone something "Google" quality. Practice, practice, practice, then practice some more so you don't wind up feeling like an idiot. With about 15 minutes left to go I damn near felt like crying :to:

what did the assessment ask you to do?

anything like this?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
what did the assessment ask you to do?

anything like this?

Funny enough I watched that video yesterday to get a feel for what they could ask, but essentially yes. They basically give you a copule of problems to solve and you have 30 minutes per problem to do it. The first problem said they weren't concerned with the time/space complexity, just the correctness of the algorithm which relieves quite a bit of pressure. The second they wanted in O(n) time and space complexity. The first one I was close to a solution but didn't have enough time to test and debug it enough; the overal logic behind it should be solid, the implementation needs work. The second I wrote something, ended up rewriting it, then realized I might have been able to salvage it. Problem? Undoing back to my original solution didn't work. So I had to work with scraps.

The problem I have with these kinds of things is that we learn to write a working solution, then optimize later - or at least that's what I've been lead to believe in books such as Clean Code. These assessments encourage you to think about the solution before writing code, however I feel that if you're in a situation where you've left so little time to write an algorithm, you've made serious missteps in the development process. So to me coming up with an extremely efficient algorithm in half an hour is just asinine. Hell, I've written inelegant solutions and come back a few weeks later and come up with code that shyts on the original. No chance in doing that here though. But I suppose I can't complain since the engineers there had to jump through similar hoops. Still,I don't think this really paints an accurate picture of a person's abilities.

So basically acquire a copy of Cracking the Coding Interview, learn those problems inside and out, and then profit seems to be how they want you to do things. Once my schedule eases up I'll have to fall into that pattern :francis:

And keep in mind, this assessment wasn't an on-site interview, just a pre-test to be able to land a damn interview.

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
yes practise problems over and over

and I can not stress this enough...practise writing solutions on a whiteboard

it makes no sense writing code in an editor when you have to write it on a whiteboard during interviews

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
You're absolutely right. Whiteboard coding isn't really an issue for me since quite a few of my professors had us write code by hand. One was so strict that if your syntax wasn't error free you'd get a zero, even if the code itself was right. I just need to get more of a handle on these data structure and algorithms that I haven't touched since my first year or two in the major.

I will say, though, that for the assessment they're ok with you using an IDE as long as when you paste your code into the browser it compiles. This comes in handy if you're not 100% on some method calls. I had to use Visual Studio to be clear on a couple of stack methods and some math functions. In the end I wound up doing most of the code in the browser where all you get is some syntax highlighting and bracket matching.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
Glassdoor provides a very good idea of what people make at my company---because i have seen salaries with my own eyes and also made decisions on pay for a couple people.