The HBCU Analytics Thread

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Yep they mentioned this years ago in one of those developed Asian countries. Might have been Thailand (I forgot) where they said women were like out doing men in college like 60 to 70 percent or something when it came to attending and graduating college. They were saying basically as developed countries get more advanced women can take part in the workforce because all the hard labor jobs are being removed.

Normally those are the jobs women don't want to do and actually only did those due to sexism and lack of opportunity. We all know if you have women in your lives that normally a woman likes jobs they enjoy even if the pay is less than another job (at times this is to their detriment). But normally men don't care if they enjoy the job...normally they care about the pay (even if its a dirty and physical job).

I saw this in college many times where dudes would work the summer off shore or sit out a semester and start driving trucks. Then you ask them hey are you coming back and them dudes like naw man I make 50, 60, 70, 100 or 120K a year doing this why the hell am I going to go to school to make what I am making now (or to make less than I am making now). This happened to my college room mate who was going to school to be a teacher. He flunked out one semester and went back home and started to work offshore. Next thing I know he making 100K a year working on a oil rig at 19. I ask him is he coming back and he laughs in my face, like fool I make 100K living in Mississippi and can buy whatever I want and if I got a degree in teaching I would make 30K in Mississippi...what choice would you make. Man I just :yeshrug:my shoulders and was like I ain't got no rebuttal.

This is the realist post in this thread when it comes to young black males and their attitudes towards college.

Black men want MONEY and they also want JOB SECURITY. Its easier to start working young, work your way up, and by 25 your making more than your college going friends who are struggling with student loans and professors who generally see them as seat holders rather than human beings.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
These two graphs are demographics. The first is the percent of students from households of $100k plus (hint Hampton has a bougie rep for a reason). The second are percent of students where the household is under $30k
hbcu-high-inc.png

hbcu-low-inc.png
The math ain’t mathing because in the Kendra G thread about the hairstylist wanting a man making $90k, I was argued that in metropolitan areas, half the folks make at least $70k and the top 25% starts at $90k. No way all these students are coming from poverty.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
The math ain’t mathing because in the Kendra G thread about the hairstylist wanting a man making $90k, I was argued that in metropolitan areas, half the folks make at least $70k and the top 25% starts at $90k. No way all these students are coming from poverty.

A lot of those schools with high poverty rate students are small or community colleges in the rural South. Being from the South I can tell you in a lot of those areas the 25% starts at $50k.

Also those metropolitan stats are skewed by huge metros like NYC, Chicago, LA, and Houston where salaries are significantly above the national average.

WTFisWallace?

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dade County
HBCU Major Earnings

Note these typically don't account for people who get higher (grad school) degrees I think

Median earnings of all students by HBCU (10 years post graduation)
hbcu-median-earnings.png

Median earnings by major-HBCU for top earners
hbcu-top-majors.png

Median earnings for majors at specific schools including STEM majors 3 years out from graduation
Interesting to note, at a HBCU if you do not major in:

1) STEM
2) Nursing
3) Architecture
4) Business/Finance

You will not be expected to earn more thatn $50k UNLESS you go to Morehouse or Spelman and study economics or international relations

Can’t lie, these charts exposed a blind spot/ignorance in me. I thought the median income numbers would be higher. Nothing outrageous, but better than the ones shown.

A lot of those schools with high poverty rate students are small or community colleges in the rural South. Being from the South I can tell you in a lot of those areas the 25% starts at $50k.

Also those metropolitan stats are skewed by huge metros like NYC, Chicago, LA, and Houston where salaries are significantly above the national average.
Maybe this is what I wasn’t accounting for….cause as a man (I feel if you’re a female in a committed relationship, you can get away with lesser income), living in Miami….42k would be kinda rough (considering you’d be a college grad and have debt). You can work at USPS and hit 100k (with OT) in a few years.

But 42k in Mississippi or certain parts of central/northern Florida isn’t bad.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps

The argument was about Houston and I think majority of HBCU students come from big cities.

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Yep they mentioned this years ago in one of those developed Asian countries. Might have been Thailand (I forgot) where they said women were like out doing men in college like 60 to 70 percent or something when it came to attending and graduating college. They were saying basically as developed countries get more advanced women can take part in the workforce because all the hard labor jobs are being removed.

Normally those are the jobs women don't want to do and actually only did those due to sexism and lack of opportunity. We all know if you have women in your lives that normally a woman likes jobs they enjoy even if the pay is less than another job (at times this is to their detriment). But normally men don't care if they enjoy the job...normally they care about the pay (even if its a dirty and physical job).

I saw this in college many times where dudes would work the summer off shore or sit out a semester and start driving trucks. Then you ask them hey are you coming back and them dudes like naw man I make 50, 60, 70, 100 or 120K a year doing this why the hell am I going to go to school to make what I am making now (or to make less than I am making now). This happened to my college room mate who was going to school to be a teacher. He flunked out one semester and went back home and started to work offshore. Next thing I know he making 100K a year working on an oil rig at 19. I ask him is he coming back and he laughs in my face, like fool I make 100K living in Mississippi and can buy whatever I want and if I got a degree in teaching I would make 30K in Mississippi...what choice would you make. Man I just :yeshrug:my shoulders and was like I ain't got no rebuttal.
This is how it is on the coast. Dudes would be in school, get on to Ingalls or one of the shipbuilding jobs around the coast, Mobile, or New Orleans, start making decent money, or the company they started working for would put them in an apprenticeship program, and they’d just stop going to school. Dudes started making 50-60k with including overtime, and would decide the money was good, and the college education wasn’t worth it; especially if they weren’t majoring in something stem related. I know a brother now that went to Southern Miss, got on at an oil rig, and stopped going. He was making good money. Was able to buy a brand new F-250 off the lot, cash, and decided to stay on the rig.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.

I saw this in college many times where dudes would work the summer off shore or sit out a semester and start driving trucks. Then you ask them hey are you coming back and them dudes like naw man I make 50, 60, 70, 100 or 120K a year doing this why the hell am I going to go to school to make what I am making now (or to make less than I am making now). This happened to my college room mate who was going to school to be a teacher. He flunked out one semester and went back home and started to work offshore. Next thing I know he making 100K a year working on a oil rig at 19. I ask him is he coming back and he laughs in my face, like fool I make 100K living in Mississippi and can buy whatever I want and if I got a degree in teaching I would make 30K in Mississippi...what choice would you make. Man I just :yeshrug:my shoulders and was like I ain't got no rebuttal.
College isn't seen as something essential to financial bliss but in some cases an endless cycle of financial imprisonment.

Daps
My lil sis trying to go to a HBCU

I been trying to push her towards the trades or the military
I come from a a big military family but they’re pushing the kids to go in AFTER they get a degree. They’re trying to build up more black officers, the men are especially doing this to women. They don’t want them going in low level so they can have more control and make more money in their careers. One of my “nieces” is about to graduate from one of the UT schools here in North Texas, she starts officer school either this fall or summer. Her sweetheart dropped out and went into the service without a degree and now he’s mad she’s going to be an officer, his parents have more money and told him to listen to our family and he didn’t.

Chip Skylark

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My lil sis trying to go to a HBCU

I been trying to push her towards the trades or the military

She could do both. I come from a military family. My wife was in ROTC at JSU and major soon. My little brother is doing it now. It’ll be worth it in the end.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Median Test Scores at HBCUs

hbcu-median-sat.png

hbcu-median-act.png

For @Suge Shot Me as well as @get these nets @BigAggieLean. @Anerdyblackguy @Rollie Forbes @MostReal @DropTopDoc

I graphed the median SAT and ACT scores by HBCUs as requested. Top for SAT is Howard, bottom is Wilberforce. Spelman is #2 for SAT and #3 for ACT. Fisk surprises by making a really strong showing---Fisk actually has the #2 SAT math scores for all HBCUs too. They also have a larger variance on their SAT math so 25% of Fisk students are scoring above 680 in math....so likely 1 of 5 is between 700-800 in math which is pretty dope.

Note Morehouse only reports ACT so are only on that chart. Also about half of HBCUs don't report scores so that is why only 50 are here.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Median Test Scores at HBCUs

hbcu-median-sat.png

hbcu-median-act.png

For @Suge Shot Me as well as @get these nets @BigAggieLean. @Anerdyblackguy @Rollie Forbes @MostReal @DropTopDoc

I graphed the median SAT and ACT scores by HBCUs as requested. Top for SAT is Howard, bottom is Wilberforce. Spelman is #2 for SAT and #3 for ACT. Fisk surprises by making a really strong showing---Fisk actually has the #2 SAT math scores for all HBCUs too. They also have a larger variance on their SAT math so 25% of Fisk students are scoring above 680 in math....so likely 1 of 5 is between 700-800 in math which is pretty dope.

Note Morehouse only reports ACT so are only on that chart. Also about half of HBCUs don't report scores so that is why only 50 are here.

If i remember right it’s hard to get into Fisk and it’s expensive af

Surprised Moho ain’t up there, it’s expected at spellman, and Howard should be high, they have a bigger candidate pool to choose from