The HBCU Analytics Thread

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
If its an issue of money she should join the military (preferably Air Force for women) get the G.I Bill and then attend an HBCU.

Easy

This is so true breh and absolutely great advice. Especially now with the shortages now....they are throwing money and GI bill money at recruits.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Good stuff OP. Though I will say this I wish there was data for how much debt parents have due to the parent plus loans once the kids graduate (this for HBCUs and PWIs/HWCs).

Cause I personally know parents that took out them predator parent plus loans to send kids to Howard, Spellman and Xavier. Lets just say they basically took out parent plus loans equivalent to a brand new fully loaded Escalade at post Covid prices for them 4 plus years of college for their kid.

Unless kids get private loans they can't get but like $5,500 in Stafford loans the first year and a small bump each year after. So if you college is like Xavier which is basically 40K plus a year (once you add books, meal plan, tuition, dorm cost, and fees) that $5,500 in loans for that one year ain't doing shyt to the 40K tuition. And then even the grant money if you qualify ain't but a 2k to 4k for the year. So we looking at 30K plus difference that mom or dad has to help make up.

Last edited:

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah but men in the US, actually the Western world overall, are falling behind women in college education so if we find the cheat code we will be heroes. What is interesting though is that the college gap has slowed and basically reduced a good bit for Black people after reaching a peak in 2010. For Whites and others the gap just opened and is accelerating. Only Asians don't have a larger gender college gap than Blacks now.

ed2.jpg

Yep they mentioned this years ago in one of those developed Asian countries. Might have been Thailand (I forgot) where they said women were like out doing men in college like 60 to 70 percent or something when it came to attending and graduating college. They were saying basically as developed countries get more advanced women can take part in the workforce because all the hard labor jobs are being removed.

Normally those are the jobs women don't want to do and actually only did those due to sexism and lack of opportunity. We all know if you have women in your lives that normally a woman likes jobs they enjoy even if the pay is less than another job (at times this is to their detriment). But normally men don't care if they enjoy the job...normally they care about the pay (even if its a dirty and physical job).

I saw this in college many times where dudes would work the summer off shore or sit out a semester and start driving trucks. Then you ask them hey are you coming back and them dudes like naw man I make 50, 60, 70, 100 or 120K a year doing this why the hell am I going to go to school to make what I am making now (or to make less than I am making now). This happened to my college room mate who was going to school to be a teacher. He flunked out one semester and went back home and started to work offshore. Next thing I know he making 100K a year working on a oil rig at 19. I ask him is he coming back and he laughs in my face, like fool I make 100K living in Mississippi and can buy whatever I want and if I got a degree in teaching I would make 30K in Mississippi...what choice would you make. Man I just :yeshrug:my shoulders and was like I ain't got no rebuttal.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Those tuition costs are outrageous

Yeah some these charts are for the higher cost more prestigious in name recognition HBCUs (and even private HBCUs). But there are HBCUs with more affordable tuitions. Such as JSU, Valley and Alcorn (always got to plug my adopted university JSU and them Sip HBCUs).

Also got to watch out for them out of state fees. Some HBCUS (and some PWIs) wave the fee or only charge like 1K and other universities try to bash you in the head with that out of state fee which can cause a ticket price shocker to attend.

Forgot to mention we need to give it up to these HBCU Jucos that are out here putting in work. Giving kids the HBCU experience at an affordable cost and allowing them to transition to 4 year HBCUs while knocking out freshman and soph. year class. Which helps reduce these kids financial debt.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
For Bio she needs to either hone in on pre-med or going for a PhD since there aren't many high paying jobs for just a bio degree. If she is going that route, the top HBCUs for bio typically have their majors earning $35k after graduation. However, you want her to go somewhere she won't be saddled with debt too.

Alcorn State, Winston-Salem State (just profiled), and North Carolina Central show data of their bio grads making $35k but having median debt under $12k. Compare that to Tuskegee and Howard where bio grads make the same amount of money but have median debt of $50k plus. I think Fayetteville State is similar though the earnings data for bio grads isn't there. I am beginning to think the NC HBCUs are the best value out there.

What I would recommend (if she doesn't do trades which she should seriously consider) and is fixed on going to a HBCU, she should get aa practical major like nursing and double major or minor in biology. That way she comes out making $60-70k as a RN but can still do the bio classes she likes. Those classes also could help with nursing. Same schools listed above have that. Bowie State and Coppin State are options to look at in this vein as well though cost of living is more expensive in PG County and Baltimore.

Great response OP. I want to thank you for telling the brotha this in order to help his sista. I mentor a lot of young folks (with some engineering brothas and sistas I know in STEMs) and have come across a lot of young folks who have wanted and went on to major in Bio. But sadly get hit hit with a dose of reality when they can't get into medical school.

The issue as you mentioned is many folks get into this major without knowing that if they don't get into medical school they are stuck with a possible low paying job and tons of debt.

Per the two doctors in my family and another doctor I know personally, medical school works now is actually it is even harder to stand out with a Bio degree when applying to med school. And if you have the Bio degree you better be able to walk on water (we talking high MCAT scores and damn near a 4.0 in undergrad).

So one way to kind of cheat the system is to get a degree in like you said nursing or some STEM field in order to one have something to fall back on if you don't get into med school or wash out med school and two stand out from the other applicants when medical schools reviews who they will be accepting. You will be shocked how many folks with engineering degrees went to med school...I saw a pulmonologist for my asthma a couple of years ago and he mentioned that he had a BS in mechanical engineering and then decided to go to medical school.

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Good stuff OP. Though I will say this I wish there was data for how much debt parents have due to the parent plus loans once the kids graduate (this for HBCUs and PWIs/HWCs).

Cause I personally know parents that took out them predator parent plus loans to send kids to Howard, Spellman and Xavier. Lets just say they basically took out parent plus loans equivalent to a brand new fully loaded Escalade at post Covid prices for them 4 plus years of college for their kid.

Unless kids get private loans they can't get but like $5,500 in Stafford loans the first year and a small bump each year after. So if you college is like Xavier which is basically 40K plus a year (once you add books, meal plan, tuition, dorm cost, and fees) that $5,500 in loans for that one year ain't doing shyt to the 40K tuition. And then even the grant money if you qualify ain't but a 2k to 4k for the year. So we looking at 30K plus difference that mom or dad has to help make up.

I looked at the data and you are right. The median debt data I was pulling was only federal loans. I pulled the PLUS loan data and parsed it this morning.

Holy shyt. My Spelman sistas and Morehouse men....:mjcry: I gotta add this to the profiles and update the past ones as well and I added this to the OP

hbcu-median-plus-debt.png

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I looked at the data and you are right. The median debt data I was pulling was only federal loans. I pulled the PLUS loan data and parsed it this morning.

Holy shyt. My Spelman sistas and Morehouse men....:mjcry: I gotta add this to the profiles and update the past ones as well and I added this to the OP

hbcu-median-plus-debt.png

Good info breh!

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@Originalman @DrBanneker
@ziggly @staticshock

ezgif-1-672005d691.gif

Thank You for sharing the insight related to the member's Sis career options.
I mentioned in another thread in this series that too often we don't have access to circles to get unbiased academic and career advice.
Have the aptitude and discipline but not the networks to know how to utilize it to the best advantage.

Last edited:

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
This is so true breh and absolutely great advice. Especially now with the shortages now....they are throwing money and GI bill money at recruits.

In normal course I agree, but I would be hesitant about where people are going now in the army. A truck driver that stops at my business had his son just enlist and after basic they sent him to Poland...hopefully we won't be directly involved in Vlad's fukkery but it can happen.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
In normal course I agree, but I would be hesitant about where people are going now in the army. A truck driver that stops at my business had his son just enlist and after basic they sent him to Poland...hopefully we won't be directly involved in Vlad's fukkery but it can happen.

Totally understand and agree.

Originalman

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@Originalman @DrBanneker

ezgif-1-672005d691.gif

Thank You for sharing the insight related to the member's Sis career options.
I mentioned in another thread in this series that too often we don't have access to circles to get unbiased academic and career advice.
Have the aptitude and discipline but not the networks to know how to utilize it to the best advantage.

This is so true!!