The HBCU Analytics Thread

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I’m 24, went straight into the workforce at 18.

No debt. Best decision I ever made, especially being from low income household

Nah, she’s in Chi and Bio
For Bio she needs to either hone in on pre-med or going for a PhD since there aren't many high paying jobs for just a bio degree. If she is going that route, the top HBCUs for bio typically have their majors earning $35k after graduation. However, you want her to go somewhere she won't be saddled with debt too.

Alcorn State, Winston-Salem State (just profiled), and North Carolina Central show data of their bio grads making $35k but having median debt under $12k. Compare that to Tuskegee and Howard where bio grads make the same amount of money but have median debt of $50k plus. I think Fayetteville State is similar though the earnings data for bio grads isn't there. I am beginning to think the NC HBCUs are the best value out there.

What I would recommend (if she doesn't do trades which she should seriously consider) and is fixed on going to a HBCU, she should get aa practical major like nursing and double major or minor in biology. That way she comes out making $60-70k as a RN but can still do the bio classes she likes. Those classes also could help with nursing. Same schools listed above have that. Bowie State and Coppin State are options to look at in this vein as well though cost of living is more expensive in PG County and Baltimore.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I’m 24, went straight into the workforce at 18.

No debt. Best decision I ever made, especially being from low income household

Nah, she’s in Chi and Bio

Not everyone who goes to college goes into debt my guy.

Do you REALLY want your little sister in a trade? She’ll probably be the only female in trade school or whatever..every dude there is gonna be trying her or making jokes.

I wouldn’t advise the military for anyone who really doesn’t want to do it. I was in the Marines and the amount of bullshyt military members go through is crazy.

Even if she had to take out loans for school there are programs available to help folks out when they get done with school

Daps
Black women are absolutely KILLING the game when it comes to higher education graduation rates.

On one hand you gotta give a shoot-out to the sistas for staying on grind

On the other hand it really makes you wonder what we need to do to get young brehs at a level where they’re matching it
Yeah those gender ratios really jump out at me. The "bougie" schools seem to have the best outcomes after taking a cursory glance at the data. This suggests that the schools matter but perhaps the background/support of the student matters even more.

The issue with young brehs is that too many skip college but THEN aren't doing the blue collar work either. If your pops, uncles, brothers etc., know how to navigate the trades, it's a good way to go. Unfortunately without shop classes and "a way in", most mechanically inclined brehs don't even realize that path is available.......so if our young brehs aren't doing blue collar work, they need to find a university and get that college degree. African and Asian immigrants ain't worried about construction, HVAC, electrician work etc. Mexicans and country white boys try to lock all that up. Our girls seem to understand the connection between education and future prospects but our boys don't. A degree doesn't automatically mean success but it puts you A LOT closer.

Even if you want to be an entrepreneur.....most business owners are good with ideas but not so much accounting/finance/supply chain etc., type shyt. Get that accounting or finance degree so you understand the language of business and then open up your own shyt if that's what you want.

I graduated with only $15k in student debt and just paid it off slow over 10 years. Couldn't imagine the amount of debt some kids get into. If you're getting a STEM degree with lots of job opportunities from the top HBCU's, it might be worth it in the long run. Otherwise, it can be rough. Living on campus can be very $$$$$.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
The issue with young brehs is that too many skip college but THEN aren't doing the blue collar work either.

I'm dealing with this with a young breh I mentor. He is finally on the right track and getting a skill (going into maritime which is actually not bad salary-wise for someone with minimal education) but for the longest time we argued about the dumbest shyt. Some friends of his in HS became decently well-known YTers and for a while he tried to argue he was going to make himself blow up on YT/Tik-Tok. Granted this was mostly during the pandemic lockdown but he still lost valuable time he could have been studying and doing some distance courses over that shyt. I swear entertainment, social media, and sports are some of the biggest mirages for young brehs that aren't into the illegal stuff.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah but men in the US, actually the Western world overall, are falling behind women in college education so if we find the cheat code we will be heroes. What is interesting though is that the college gap has slowed and basically reduced a good bit for Black people after reaching a peak in 2010. For Whites and others the gap just opened and is accelerating. Only Asians don't have a larger gender college gap than Blacks now.

ed2.jpg

Ps5

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
Ok, I have been doing the "Rate This HBCU" thread for about two months now. I pull a lot of data from a database the Department of Education has. So I got the thought of pulling in some bulk data and comparing all HBCUs and the results are pretty interesting. I am going to drop the graphs here for now and see what people think. @hex @Barnett114 let me know if we can sticky this for a bit.

I will have four posts covering four aspects: high level enrollment info, detailed enrollment info, and earnings for HBCUs and majors.

High Level Enrollment
hbcu-enrollment.png

hbcu-annual-cost.png

hbcu-median-debt.png

hbcu-sex-ratio.png

The best and worst for getting people graduated

hbcu-graduation-rate.png

hbcu-graduation-rate-low.png

@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy @Peachstate @dora_da_destroyer

Those tuition costs are outrageous

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Great thread.

I'll admit I was a little disappointed at the 6-year graduation rates for Hampton and Morehouse (56/57%). Would have thought it would be a bit higher considering their resources and recruiting. Obviously not all of the outcomes are under the control of the college but I would hope they can work to get it up in coming years.

The CS salaries are a specifically Howard thing. I believe they have a plug with big tech companies in recruiting that gets their grads good jobs. Some also do IT on Wall Street. Almost all the rest are in the mid and high 70s including ChemEng. This is only a 3 year post graduation snapshot so tech workers probably start higher with salary and options etc. but Chem engineers are probably at 6 figures within a decade if they have a good job, get promoted etc.

Yeah, I believe some of the tech giants built in pipelines from Howard (and perhaps other HCBU's?) when they got put on blast for not having enough of a black engineering workforce.