The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
How will Pan-Africanism work when a homogeneous ethnic group has severe intra tribal schisms? That's one example of division amongst Africans. Imagine the religious, ethnic, language divisions on the continent. Scary. AAs don't have that problem and the sixties assumed naive ideals of Pan-Africanism.
This is why I believe pan-Africanism outside of business is unrealistic.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh no doubt we started that mess.
:lolbron:

Thats why IMO when outsiders talk wild about us I try to take into account that alot of AA Hoteps help put the battery in their back to begin with.

I grew up around it too which kinda shaped my perspective about all of this. Half my fam growing up were Hotep as hell, a generation or two removed from the south...very urbanized. The other half were some country folk straight out the south who adapted to the city but kept their old ways...and thats the side I spent more time around.

I remember getting teased about eating chitlins and pig feet, being superstitious, etc. It's kinda why I feel strongly about alot of this shyt, I grew up in the middle of that rift.
what city are you from

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Matter of fact, I had an interesting convo with a Jamaican chick a while back. She mentioned that AA's clowned her growing up for eating oxtails
:skip:

...that was nuts to me...but guess where she was from?
:sas2:

I think we're agreeing more about all of this than disagreeing.

aframs eat oxtails:what:...where was she from?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
San Diego, why whats up?
lol i figured you were gonna say NY or somewhere in the north east since you said a lot of hoteps are foreign blacks.

I don't know of too many African hoteps (except Brother Polite) but i've met quite a few Caribbean hoteps. Many of them from the northeast

And yes A lot of Black feminists have Foreign roots @Diasporan Royalty or don't even live in America.

I have my own theory as to why that is

Grano-Grano

The Bando
Daps
Reppin
Skrilla
This is why I believe pan-Africanism outside of business is unrealistic.

Prosperous business and trade relationships will spark cultural and race consciousness due to mutual beneficial exchanges like it did for centuries before European expansion on the continent.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
One young african woman in the video made a point that AA's dont realize. She pointed out that most nations across the world treat THEIR Blacks like trash and are more welcoming to other Blacks. I think there was a thread on here about AA's being treated WAY better in certain Asian countries than continental Africans. Mainly because of the cultural global popularity that AA's have and because most Africans are viewed as criminal, and as scammers. Same in certain European countries where certain Africans are banished to the ghettos, but an AA will have a higher profile. Say what you will, but that AA ethno badge gives y'all privilege that you don't even realize. And yall may think Continental Africans are taking advantage(maybe here in the US) but outside the US? That's not reality.:mjpls:

this is actually another self selection vs population size scenario at work. It's the same reason why many aframs think, foreign blacks are treated better than them in the USA by white people

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
lol i figured you were gonna say NY or somewhere in the north east since you said a lot of hoteps are foreign blacks.

I don't know of too many African hoteps (except Brother Polite) but i've met quite a few Caribbean hoteps.

And yes A lot of Black feminists Are Foreigners @Diasporan Royalty or don't even live in America.
Oh ok. Yeah I should of clarified that foreign mainly being Caribbean. I haven't met an African hotep at all to be honest, feminist tho yes.

But anyway I'm going off a mix of real life and online interaction.

im_sleep

Superstar
Daps
Aframs in NYC know about/eat oxtails...my fam has always cooked them since I can remember.They aren't rare in soul food spots:why:
Oh I know, aint no way yall don't. But some nikka's slip through the cracks. I think for some of us, traditional things might not pass on generation after generation. Immigrants go through this too. In a big ass cosmopolitan city it's bound to happen.