The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps
Exactly! I worked at a Haitian restaurant in NC. And it was mainly AA's frequeting the restaurant and asking for the Ox Tails, fried Haitian pork(griot), and other Haitian dishes that were extremely similar to Southern AA dishes. I was just talking to an AA girl from DC, and she mentioned how much she loved Haitian cuisine, mainly because her grandpa lived in Florida, and lived around the corner from a Haitian spot.

I think the difference is that down south for you guys, the black immigrant population is not very concentrated and oriented as a strong community compared to what is done up here. Which means assimilation Is naturally to happen faster that way. Plus black immigrants up here have their own Churches and mosques compared to what I've noticed down south.

When I went down to Atlanta, Haitians were all spread out thoughout the metro accorng to my cousin. In NYC, you'll be finding them primarily in specific hoods. And they network primarily with each other here.

Last edited:

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
Matter of fact, I had an interesting convo with a Jamaican chick a while back. She mentioned that AA's clowned her growing up for eating oxtails
:skip:

...that was nuts to me...but guess where she was from?
:sas2:
See just a couple hundred miles north she wouldn't get clowned for that. Growing up there was always a couple jars of pig feet at my grandmother's house lol

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
I think the difference is that down south for you guys, the black immigrant population is not very concentrated and oriented as a strong community compared to what is done up here. Which means assimilation Is naturally to happen faster that way.

When I went down to Atlanta, Haitians were all spread out thoughout the metro accorng to my cousin. In NYC, you'll be finding them primarily in specific hoods. And they network primarily with each other here..
In South Florida specifically, Haitians and AA's learned to tolerate each other. Then came assimilation between the groups. That conflict is on its last legs, if not completely dead. Haitians still have their own neighborhoods, as do AA's, but theres alot more cultural spillover. And many Haitians are too busy beefing with other Haitians anyways.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
My bad. You're right. AA's need to take more ownership of AA as an ethnicity and keep using it to their advantage. Even the Haitian dude Karl, in the video alluded to that. I know alot of folks will try to jump on bored, but....too bad.

:yeshrug:

And wealthy AA's and those Blavity "Bougie" Blacks really need to take advantage also.

I'll be cheering from the sidelines as an ally.

:mjpls:
Good post. And I enjoy your insight.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
You know what's funny about that? Black foreigners are some of the MOST religious people on the planet. ESPECIALLY in terms of Christianity. That's why i stress that Southern Blacks may have more in common with Black foreigners than they do with some other AA's depending on Region. Maybe this divide you're talking about has more to do with REGION than it does with AA vs Foreigner Blacks.

Down South, theres a greater assimilation of foreign blacks and AA's than up north. Go Houston, Miami, Atlanta. You'll see it. Just today a friend of mine(Haitian) engaged to her AA fiance here in NC. The commonalities between them? Both are very churchy and sing in the church. Her mom was crying tears of joy, Grandma was crying tears of joy. My naija homies out in Texas(both brothers) one married an AA girl, the other is engaged to an AA girl. Both of their parents happy. Commonalities? Christianity. I got a gang of female Haitian cousins in South Florida married to AA men. More and more you guys keep opening my eyes to what the REAL deal is.

This cant be any further from the truth:gucci:

Foreign blacks are barely in the south outside south florida

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

That's where you're wrong. I've been to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston the past year. There's definitely non-AA presence around these areas. Though it's as strong down there compared to what we have here.

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’

Have you been to the South?

:jbhmm:

Honest question. ATL, Houston, Dallas and Charlotte have some of the highest concentrations of continental Africans in the US.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
That's where you're wrong. I've been to Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston the past year. There's definitely non-AA presence around these areas. Though it's as strong down there compared to what we have here.
This is not my personal opinion
The bulk of the caribbean population is in the north
Im not saying they arent in the south at all. Their cultural influence is much stronger up north and its not even close

Grano-Grano

The Bando
Daps
Reppin
Skrilla
I see. We'll then I'll stay out of it.

How will Pan-Africanism work when a homogeneous ethnic group has severe intra tribal schisms? That's one example of division amongst Africans. Imagine the religious, ethnic, language divisions on the continent. Scary. AAs don't have that problem and the sixties assumed naive ideals of Pan-Africanism.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the difference is that down south for you guys, the black immigrant population is not very concentrated and oriented as a strong community compared to what is done up here. Which means assimilation Is naturally to happen faster that way.

When I went down to Atlanta, Haitians were all spread out thoughout the metro accorng to my cousin. In NYC, you'll be finding them primarily in specific hoods.

this is true too.other than south florida there arent really any ethnic enclaves in the the south. Everyone and everything is just spread out