The Grapevine: Africans, AA's and Caribbeans

Fandroid

Banned
Daps

@Stacker Pentecost posted this on twitter (she's in a few threads right now goin in)

I'm almost convinced that this is just an excuse that many Africans use to justify their apathy or outright disdain of african americans.

If it were true that they "feel" more, then they'd empathize with us a LOT more than they do.

If any African uses the African Booty Scratcher talking point i'm calling em a c00n off top

So AAs don't get mad at akata? :mjlol:

So it's not okay for Africans to not be mad at insults but it's okay for AAs?

#AAGang; formerly Selah
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Syracuse
I was called an african booty scratcher all throughout elementary and early middle school. This was the mid to late 80's..We all called each other that shyt..Tank head, geechie boy, you and yo greasy greasy gran mammy, all of that ugly shyt mane...Nothing was off limits LOL

I am 100% native black DOS...Those years were ROUGH but built thick skin and I would never take them back if i could..At this point its obvious that other ethnic blacks including us Aframs are passing down camp fire tales that fuel senseless deep rooted issues
Same here. I think people started saying it when Boyz N The Hood came out. I remember like two Africans my whole time in elementary so it was always directed at other AAs

Fandroid

Banned
Daps
Can AAs explain the "reaping off our benefits" thing?

I never seen this rhetoric against arabs or asians or hispanics. Just other blacks.

As though most immigrants don't come here to scheme.

Barnett114

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
african booty scratcher

But at the same time You can't just brush it off. Its just a word but it's way deeper than that

:patrice:

It really isn't, growing up we called each other that and there were no black people from the motherland around us.

We were just ignorant kids in the ghetto.

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
So AAs don't get mad at akata? :mjlol:

So it's not okay for Africans to not be mad at insults but it's okay for AAs?

I will not take being called Akata to the grave. nikkas bring up being called African booty scratcher in the eighth grade when they're like 32 years old. Build a goddamn bridge and get over it. OR JUST ADMIT YOU DONT fukk WITH US AND GO

That's my thing. Y'all want to pretend like you fukk with us when you really have all this animosity towards us for childhood insults and all this other stupid shyt. And then you cry about 's-s-so we can't be mad but you can :sadbron:' Pure fukking deflection from the fact that YOU DONT LIKE US

If you so hurt, then GO. But leave hip hop, leave the word nikka, leave all that aave, leave all that shyt at the front door. People think Black Americans have to bend over backwards for y'all and the answer is HELL NO. Either meet us half way or get the fukk out.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
I will not take being called Akata to the grave. nikkas bring up being called African booty scratcher in the eighth grade when they're like 32 years old. Build a goddamn bridge and get over it. OR JUST ADMIT YOU DONT fukk WITH US AND GO

That's my thing. Y'all want to pretend like you fukk with us when you really have all this animosity towards us for childhood insults and all this other stupid shyt. And then you cry about 's-s-so we can't be mad but you can :sadbron:' Pure fukking deflection from the fact that YOU DONT LIKE US

If you so hurt, then GO. But leave hip hop, leave the word nikka, leave all that aave, leave all that shyt at the front door. People think Black Americans have to bend over backwards for y'all and the answer is HELL NO. Either meet us half way or get the fukk out.

Ease up on the generalizations. :whoa:

Stacker Pentecost

Superstar
Daps
Ease up on the generalizations. :whoa:

I said what the fukk I said. Individuals are individuals but COLLECTIVELY CAs treat us like some red headed stepchild that needs to get down on our knees apologizing for being American and praising African daddy and it's not happening. They envy us our hypervisibilty and lay claim to our culture but they hate us at the same time. They act like white people towards us.

Karb

Veteran
Daps
Ethno-centrism is good for AA's. :yeshrug:

One of the challenges for y'all since emancipation has been cacs interrupting the natural process of forming a strong ethnical identity by breaking up the community, assassinating prominent leaders, infiltrating organizations etc..

IMO it shouldn't turn into a reactionary, emotionally charged ethno-chauvinism tho (I.e fukk everybody else, we all we got). As tempting as that may be. Cooperate with others based on mutual interests and otherwise look out for your own :yeshrug:

Karb

Veteran
Daps
I said what the fukk I said. Individuals are individuals but COLLECTIVELY CAs treat us like some red headed stepchild that needs to get down on our knees apologizing for being American and praising African daddy and it's not happening. They envy us our hypervisibilty and lay claim to our culture but they hate us at the same time. They act like white people towards us.

Collectively? That doesn't make sense. Continental Africans aren't a collective. Be more specific, you're referring to Nigerian/Ghanaian Americans.